The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-03-2013, 10:50 PM

Default Any Royer SF24 or SF2 experience on solo acoustic?

Hey all,

My experience with the inexpensive stereo ribbon has really piqued my curiosity on how one of the higher end Active Royer Ribbons would fare on acoustic guitar. As most of you know (but for those that don't)... the SF24 is a phantom powered version of the SF12 passive stereo ribbon mic that features a special transformer coupled with a less than unity gain buffer circuit that gives the mic 14dB hotter output than the passive one (with no increase in self noise - I believe). -- (The SF-2 is basically 1/2 of an SF-24 and thus a pair of them allows for many more mic techniques to be used vs the all in one stereo mic)

From all that I have read (and from talking with the nice folks down at Royer) this should be a great solo acoustic mic with modest preamp requirements and noise floor more like the high end condensers we all love.

So... has any one here had any experience with using these on solo acoustic?

Old 04-03-2013, 11:21 PM
Charter Member

I owned an SF-12 for a while. I really liked the stereo image it created, but it was always too dark and I never figured out how to EQ it to sound good. I'd like try an SF-24, but they're not something you run across every day.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
I owned an SF-12 for a while. I really liked the stereo image it created, but it was always too dark and I never figured out how to EQ it to sound good. I'd like try an SF-24, but they're not something you run across every day.
Jason Vieaux's recordings have utilized an SF-24, I loved them when Jason was still playing a Paul Fischer (a fairly bright sounding guitar), not as much when Jason switched to nomex double tops.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD