The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-24-2017, 07:28 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Default The Care and Feeding of Your Recordist

I read some of the threads on guitar forums and noted guitarist's frustration with recording engineers or audio guys. Of course, that makes for a certain discomfort in me because I'm both a guitarist and a recording engineer (by profession). I've long wanted to put together a list of suggestions for musicians about how to interact with recording engineers. Thankfully, Tape Op Magazine has publish an excellent article with this very thing. et Voile'! It is HERE.

These are great suggestions.

Read the list and get the gist: Engineers are people just like you. If you get the right one, he wants you to succeed and will get behind you. Make yourself fun to work with so he WANTS to give you more. He'll pay you back for attention and kindness.

Let me know what you think.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-24-2017, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
I read some of the threads on guitar forums and noted guitarist's frustration with recording engineers or audio guys. Of course, that makes for a certain discomfort in me because I'm both a guitarist and a recording engineer (by profession). I've long wanted to put together a list of suggestions for musicians about how to interact with recording engineers. Thankfully, Tape Op Magazine has publish an excellent article with this very thing. et Voile'! It is HERE.

These are great suggestions.

Read the list and get the gist: Engineers are people just like you. If you get the right one, he wants you to succeed and will get behind you. Make yourself fun to work with so he WANTS to give you more. He'll pay you back for attention and kindness.

Let me know what you think.

Bob
Tape Op is a great resource , seems like a good list and I would add, one of the most profound and usually spot on general ideas I ever heard about the tendency to worry about time constraints is " The faster you want it , the slower you should go. "

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 10-24-2017, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

"Tape Op" and "Sound On Sound". Both good magazines and both free.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 10-24-2017, 09:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
"Tape Op" and "Sound On Sound". Both good magazines and both free.
How can I get Sound on Sound for free? Last I checked it was subscription based except for the older articles. Electronic Musician and Mix are free too.
Old 10-24-2017, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocobolo Kid View Post
How can I get Sound on Sound for free? Last I checked it was subscription based except for the older articles. Electronic Musician and Mix are free too.
You may be correct. I was getting emails with link to a PDF of current issue and had never paid anything. It's been awhile though.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 10-24-2017, 10:33 AM

I might also add; "If you're working in a small, "boutique" studio (which most of them are these days), your recordist is also the janitor. So don't be a slob. This especially pertains to the bathroom.

Couch Standards

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD