The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-15-2012, 08:51 AM

Default Next Acoustic/Electric Guitar

So I'm looking at getting a new acoustic guitar to add to m collection. I am a fan of having good electrics and plugged in sound because I do play live a decent amount in the summer. I am also not a big fan of cutaways, unless it is a McPherson. Currently I have a 2008 Taylor 810e custom that I purchased with Indian Rosewood back and sides and a sitka spruce top. I also recieved a 110e as a graduation gift to "beat up" and gig with while in college so I would not have to bring the 810.

Some guitars on my radar are the McPherson, but my concern is at a minimum of 5,700, I would never really play it out. Truly top of the line though.

A maton, either keith urban signature or the TE signature. I like the sound plugged in...really crisp and clean, but I am not sure if I am a fan of just the strumming sound...a bit metallic?

Martin. D-28, 35, or an OM

Collings, Santa Cruz, other suggestions?

Maybe another custom taylor of a different shape and woods combo?
Old 03-15-2012, 09:06 AM

I spent a month in Australia a few years ago. A friend loaned me two Matons for the month, the forerunner of the TE, a sweet EB808 and a nice EC325....cutaway dread. They both had the latest Maton electronics installed.

As much as I liked the EC325, I spent most of my playing time with the EB808While not the loudest guitar I've played acoustically, it had a sweet, rich, yet intimate tone that I was really drawn to. Plugged in, it was incredible....the electronic system Maton has is just wonderful. I had a hard time giving that one back!

Of course, I don't think you can go wrong wuth any of your choices. good luck!
Old 03-15-2012, 02:45 PM

"Maybe another custom taylor of a different shape and woods combo?". Have you thought about a Taylor Build To Order (BTO)? You can get one for 1/2 the cost of that McPherson - depending upon the wood/options you choose.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
"Maybe another custom taylor of a different shape and woods combo?". Have you thought about a Taylor Build To Order (BTO)? You can get one for 1/2 the cost of that McPherson - depending upon the wood/options you choose.
That's essentially what the 810 is, but the McPhersons are so nice and they nailed the electronics while taylor is still messing around with them
Old 03-15-2012, 03:07 PM

You've got so many listed there as options best just to play as many as you can and see what you like.

Electronics can come after, a big choice there also.
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 03-15-2012, 03:29 PM

I guess the real question is whether to dish out 2,000-3,000 for a guitar or wait and save for a superb McPherson
Old 03-15-2012, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

I've played a few McP's and they are awesome, but with that being said, as others have suggested, you can get a BTO. And, if you're willing to spend McPherson-money, you can something really special that you create, in just the woods you want and so on. I love my BTO (although I didn't choose it - it was created on spec by Ted at LA Guitar Sales), and it sounds as rich as any McPherson I've played. It is really something to consider when you might have the opportunity to make something that is really all your own creation.

Either way, you certainly won't be suffering! Have fun with the process.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 03-15-2012, 07:03 PM

my only thing is the taylor ES. it works, but maton and mcP have much better plugged in
Old 03-15-2012, 09:57 PM
Charter Member

I don't play out very much and am rarely amped, so the electronics aren't as much of a cinsideration for me. I'm not sure what electronics options there are in a Taylor BTO. Perhaps you can get it built without and put in anything you like aftermarket. Maybe Taylor will install something else. I'm sure someone on here knows the answer, but a quick call to Taylor or one of the big BTO shops, like LA Guitar Sales or Guitar Rodeo will get you that information. I like the idea of having a non-standard model (though the woo combination is more and more common). If I were specing one today, it would probably be the same, with the only change to make it a GS rather than the GA. That being said, I also love the sound of the GS in quilted maple. If you can get the electronics worked out, I don't think you can go wrong with a Taylor BTO.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 03-17-2012, 12:53 PM

yeah I will be gigging a decent amount so I want something that sounds great acoustic and great plugged in as well

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic, acoustic/electric guitar, electric, taylor