The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-13-2009, 07:04 PM
Charter Member

Apart from the differences in scale length, body size, and price, consider also the difference in sound between a hog top like 00-15 and a sitka/spruce top like the Larrivee Parlor. I'm not familiar with the CA Cargo so I can't comment but the hog top sound is a bit woodier and bluesier than a spruce top.

Rob
Old 02-13-2009, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Wow, 3 different critters there.
That's for sure. I've had two of the three. The Larrivee is a sweet little guitar, and recorded has a special sound that I personally found interesting. I had a Cargo long enough for a trip to Hawaii, and despite it's super short scale I really regret selling it. It is a true airline friendly travel guitar. Just my 2 cents.

Petros, Paragon, National, Martin, Rainsong, and Santa Cruz
Old 02-13-2009, 07:51 PM
Charter Member

Default Well

I've owned the Larrivee parlor. Fine guitar. And I've spent plenty of time with both the 00-15 and the Cargo. And as much as it pains me to say it, I believe that the carbon fiber gets the most out of that small body size. For what I like to hear, I'd pick the Cargo. VERY different instruments though -- particularly (as one person noted) regarding scale length. I'd be happy to have any of the three though!

Brent

Last edited by Brent Nelson; 02-13-2009 at 07:57 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:56 PM

IMHO, you would not go wrong in choosing any one of the three. Over the past few years, I have played several Martin 00-15's and a number of different Larrivee parlor models. Here are my opinions of each.

If I were in the market for an acoustic Blue's guitar, hands down, it would be the Martin 00-15 (the 000-15S is very close second). If you are looking for a nicely built guitar with a traditional parlor sound, it is hard to beat a Larrivee P05 parlor. It has a nice balance between treble and midrange with the subdued bass that you would expect for a parlor. Neither the Martin or Larrivee are particularily loud guitars but, parlors aren't really known for their projection.

If you are looking for a short scale guitar that plays and sounds like a larger body guitar, the Cargo might be the better choice. It has a nicely balanced tone and bass that you would not expect from a parlor size guitar. I didn't have any problem getting use to the 22.75" scale length or swapping back and forth between my full scale guitars and the cargo. Mine never stays in its case. They are all great guitars so, have fun on your hunt.

'03 Martin OM-28V
'04 Breedlove McKenzie Mando
'05 Seagull S12+
'06 Larrivee LV-03E
'07 Takamine TC132SC
'08 CA 7M-CE, '08 CA Cargo
SWR California Blonde II, AAD Cub
Old 02-14-2009, 07:33 PM

The Martin 000-15S has a slot head and 1 3/4" nut.....getting a little big for a couch guitar.....but still comfy to play
Old 02-14-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoNeko View Post
Here're my $.02 on it.

CA Cargo: I haven't tried one, but it gets rave reviews for being such a small guitar with a loud tone. But it IS a travel guitar, and its scale length is considerably shorter than the others, and you'll have to ask yourself whether you can get used to that.

Larrivee P-05: It will probably cost over a grand for a new one, so buying a used one might be the only option considering your budget. But by all other accounts it's a fine choice.

Martin 00-15: This is the largest of the three, but still very comfortable to play at home on your couch. The only possible caveat is the narrow nut width (1 11/16").

So all three have some potential pros/cons for you to consider, depending on your preferences. Good luck on the decision.
I have an 00-15. It's fantastic, and I wouldn't consider the other two in the same ballpark sonically, but that's an opinion.

The narrow nut is not a factor. Very easy, loose feel on this guitar, and I find the nut quite comfortable. I don't feel the same way on all 11/16" necks. There's just not as much tension on smaller guitars IMO.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber