The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-11-2009, 07:39 PM

Default Composite Acoustics - GX vs GXI

This is for all those of you that have played Composite Acoustics guitars. Do you prefer a GX or a GXi, and why? What are the advantages/disadvantages of each?

Thanks,
Relznuk
Old 01-11-2009, 08:14 PM

Might be some info for you here...http://carbonguitar.com
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 01-11-2009, 09:29 PM

I've now had two chances to play CAs in stores, and both times I prefer the GX. The GXi is too bassey for my tastes (OTOH, the cargo is fantastic with it's offset soundhole!)
Old 01-11-2009, 09:42 PM
Anticipation Junkie

I've briefly played one GX. It was nice, but I wasn't blown away. It was in a guitar store and maybe the strings weren't fresh. I find such environments difficult to really assess any guitar.

I own a Cargo. It's a parlor-size guitar that thinks it's a full-size -- and pretty-much pulls it off. I love it. So much so, I took a chance on its big brother and ordered a GXi based on the Cargo, pics of GXis, and a few others who owned one.

My GXi (high-gloss tobacco burst) is breathtaking -- nothing short of spectacular, in every respect. I love the extra umph of the bass the offset soundhole creates, but IMO, it doesn't overwhelm the mids and highs at all. It has a stereo-like sound going-on and a piano-like ring/sustain. Not that I've played a lot of varied guitars, but the GXi is the best I've ever played.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:45 PM

I own a GX ( bought before the GXi came about) I have piddled with a GXi at a store a small bit but was a bit too bassy for multiple style of music. For some situations the I could see where the GXi would shine but for overall playing I pick the GX and BTW IMO the GX has the better set up for being plugged in. Baggs IMix vs just an undersaddle on the GXi.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:13 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeasam View Post
I own a GX ( bought before the GXi came about) I have piddled with a GXi at a store a small bit but was a bit too bassy for multiple style of music. For some situations the I could see where the GXi would shine but for overall playing I pick the GX and BTW IMO the GX has the better set up for being plugged in. Baggs IMix vs just an undersaddle on the GXi.
leeasam, the GXi now ships with the Baggs iMix and Gotoh 503 tuners -- same as the 8M/GX. Mine has it.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:33 PM

I guess it's all a matter of personal taste. I tried both and preferred the gxi. I really like the more powerful low end. (And I have a gxi on the way)
Old 01-11-2009, 11:32 PM

I had not played the GX, but the GXi is agreat instrument. Wonderful fro srtumming and finger-style. It has a slower attack than other guitars, which I think makes it less able for runs. I much prefer it over the slim bodied X, but for and all around guitar I prefer the Legacy.

OH, the GXi really respondes to dynamics. It not really have a soft sound if need be. The bass is not over-powering, but I think it has a lack of mids, which people see as too much bass, and a lack of warmth. Overall, a really great axe.

david
Old 01-12-2009, 11:57 AM

How would the GX or GXI compare to a Rainsong?
Old 01-12-2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacifist View Post
How would the GX or GXI compare to a Rainsong?
When I picked up my GXi the dealer had a Rainsong there that I played. The sound was bright with a quick attack and less "woody". In many ways the comparison was similar to what is often written between Martin (GXi) and Taylor (Rainsong).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber