The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-12-2017, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theleman View Post
Great advice. Thank you.

I have ordered the file set.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And also the guitar gauge ruler.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Incredible that Amazon will deliver them by tonight via Prime service.
I was taught this by John Hall . It does make for a very good baseline setup .
Good luck and take your time .
Also remember that the slot needs to be angled down rearward to prevent buzzing .
Old 12-13-2017, 03:01 AM

Thank you for your great advice.

I did some search on Youtube, and this channel seems excellent in guitar set up. His name is Randy Shartiger. I am learning a lot from his videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRktOyDTn10
Old 12-13-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Thank you for your great advice.

I did some search on Youtube, and this channel seems excellent in guitar set up. His name is Randy Shartiger. I am learning a lot from his videos.

I realize that each person has his or her preferred methods, but I suggest there are better videos and articles with more direct results. For example, as long as the nut is accessible, there is no reason at all to loosen the strings each time one wants to adjust the truss rod. Nor is their a reason to first loosen the rod before tightening.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
I realize that each person has his or her preferred methods, but I suggest there are better videos and articles with more direct results. For example, as long as the nut is accessible, there is no reason at all to loosen the strings each time one wants to adjust the truss rod. Nor is their a reason to first loosen the rod before tightening.
True. Different people seem have different ways doing things. I am not sure which are the right ways, but they all give some ideas how to approach to the problems.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
That's true if one is familiar with the type of truss rod and knows it's in good working condition. I wouldn't try adjusting a simple oneway compression rod without using clamps & blocks to flex the neck and take most of the stress off the rod. That's unnecessary with a Blanchard design two way rod.

Quote:
True. Different people seem have different ways doing things. I am not sure which are the right ways, but they all give some ideas how to approach to the problems.
The "right ways" frequently depend on the guitar, its value and condition.
et al
Old 12-14-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:

Quote:
I realize that each person has his or her preferred methods, but I suggest there are better videos and articles with more direct results.
Charles has the enviable gift of being able to be restrained and polite when offering opposing ideas.

I do not have that gift, so I will come right out and say bluntly that Randy Schartiger is a total blot on the luthiery landscape ... he is an unskilled, inarticulate hack who should be debarred from ever putting up any more of his misleading videos on Youtube.

I could literally fill a book with all the basic errors he makes both when attempting to repair a guitar, and also when expounding his half-baked opinions about them.

My advice would be to ignore everything Randy Schartiger says .... you will find far, far, better videos to learn from.
Old 12-14-2017, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
Charles has the enviable gift of being able to be restrained and polite when offering opposing ideas.

I do not have that gift, so I will come right out and say bluntly that Randy Schartiger is a total blot on the luthiery landscape ... he is an unskilled, inarticulate hack who should be debarred from ever putting up any more of his misleading videos on Youtube.

I could literally fill a book with all the basic errors he makes both when attempting to repair a guitar, and also when expounding his half-baked opinions about them.

My advice would be to ignore everything Randy Schartiger says .... you will find far, far, better videos to learn from.
This one made me smile and giggle... ;-) Thanks for that Murray. Now I'm interested myself in watching his video, and upping his view count. lol

UPDATE: I got through only 3 minutes... I get it Murray.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 12-14-2017, 02:19 PM

My "favorite" Schartiger video is the one wherein he tried to explain his method of calculating how much to remove from the heel when resetting a neck.

I will try to find it and post the link here.

His video detailing his use of a belt sander on the bridge to lower the action on a guitar is another instant classic ...I will try to locate that one as well.

EDIT: this is the reset calculation video ...LOL ... I had forgotten how entertaining it was , yet at the same time deeply depressing ...

and here he is wielding his belt sander on a Martin bridge ... it's a long video but you can fast forward to 4.30 to get to the horror part ...

Last edited by murrmac123; 12-14-2017 at 02:47 PM. Reason: providing video links
Old 12-14-2017, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

I'll put it this way. Thinking may be necessary.

It's up to you to figure out whether or not the information you come across on the internet is good or bad or true or false. They should put a warning on this thing.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 12-14-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
...and here he is wielding his belt sander on a Martin bridge ... it's a long video but you can fast forward to 4.30 to get to the horror part ...

Hmmm... the action on my pre-war D-45 seems a bit high, I think this guy may be able to lower it for me....

I accidentally stumbled upon these videos when I was researching the JLD Bridge Doctor for a friend, and saw he had a video installing one on an Esteban guitar.
Old 12-14-2017, 05:06 PM

Yes, there are many channels for guitar setups, and sometimes they say and do things differently, sometimes totally opposite ways. So it was confusing, but I thought that Randy's channel was quite good on the nut action setting vids.

By the way, the Kay seems playing OK, and settling nicely. It sounds quite nice as is. I wish its action were a bit lower to about 2.5mm at 12th fret, but then it is a 50 year old guitar. Cannot ask too much from it, and I am happy with it.

Do they usually put truss rods to the vintage guitars from priot to 1960s originally without it, if they are say, high end ones like Martins or Gibsons?
Old 12-14-2017, 05:33 PM

Martin did not use adjustable truss rods until the mid 80"s, but they did have some type of neck reinforcement. Gibson's have had adjustable truss rods since the 50's at least, probably long before that.
Most of the inexpensive guitars in the 50's and 60's had a steel reinforced neck, and had a sticker that said "Steel Reinforced Neck" where you would expect to find a truss rod cover. I'm surprised your Kay doesn't have one.
et al
Old 12-14-2017, 05:48 PM

Yes, I was shocked to find there is no truss rod in the Kay.
But then it is still holding its neck reasonably straight for over 50 years, and plays OK even though the tone is a bit weird.

It is very nice looking with pearl inlays in the fingerboard all bound and deluxe gold open tuning machine.

I just played it again, and tone is really raw and open sounding. Due to no truss rod, it is paper light. I feel as if I am holding a guitar made of newspaper.

The top looks spruce and back and sides looks rose wood.
Old 12-14-2017, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Gibson's have had adjustable truss rods since the 50's at least, probably long before that.
Correct. In the early-1920's, Lloyd Loar implemented adjustable truss rods on Gibsons. It was a source of pride, and Gibson was the only major brand with them for a long time.
The steel bar on nonadjustable Kay guitars was about 1/4" by 3/8".
Old 12-14-2017, 06:01 PM

Trying out the Kay guitar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdZKemifJt4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair