The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 09-16-2017, 10:36 AM

Cecilguitar.

The GK Pro Negra is typically set up with little or no relief to the neck which contributes to the flamenco buzz. I eliminated quite a bit of the flamenco buzz by adjusting the truss rod to add relief to the neck.

Happy to be of help in humidity. 😁😁

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceciltguitar View Post
I recently pulled the trigger on a GK Pro and I have been ecstatic about it! I love the tonal qualities! The details of the design parameters work very well for me: the neck dimensions, string separation, body depth, cutaway etc. Yes, there is some raspy string buzz when playing with even moderately aggressive attack, but that is probably by design since it is a flamenco guitar.

I wish I could find a classical guitar with the same dimensions except for slightly raised saddle to eliminate the buzz, and probably rosewood back and sides.

Dkstott, thanks for the tip on humidifiers!
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 09-17-2017, 10:26 AM

I sanded down my saddle to where the string heights are much lower than stock, and I adjusted the truss rod to remove any relief. The fretboard is dead flat. For an acoustic it now has fairly low action (nearly electric guitar-low), with a string height at the twelfth fret of 5/64ths (1.98 mm) on the high E and 6/64ths (2.38 mm) on the low E. I play fast, alternate-picking/strumming blues, rock, and jazzy things, always with a heavy-gauge, sharply pointed pick, and I have an extremely heavy attack, and still I get zero string buzz with this GK Pro Negra.

I can't make this guitar buzz no matter what I do, and I would just about guarantee that my blues rock-based attack is many orders of magnitude heavier than any fingerpicker's attack.

Point being, I am at a total loss as to how any of you ever get any string buzz at all, especially when you're fingerpicking with the stock, relatively high bridge. The idea that some of you would actually need higher action to eliminate string buzz?

Yep, I am at a complete loss. It seems as if we're not even talking about the same guitar.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:09 AM

For me, it was more "Flamenco string snap" than any any string buzzing. So adding relief solved my issue. I have much with clearer tone sounds while playing semi classical music.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:48 PM

Beautiful pics of this guitar. I played the studio version at GC and really liked it. Some have said the Pro does have better woods but the tone difference is really subtle. Not sure how true that is, has anyone ever compared the two?
Old 09-19-2017, 07:55 AM

I've owned both models. The GK Pro Negra has better wood and tone, better tuning mechanism & a seriously better fishman system than the studio model.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:04 AM

The GK Pro also has a nicer rosette, an ebony fretboard instead of mahogany, and an extremely nice hardshell Humicase (built-in humidifier) instead of the Studio's gig bag.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:09 PM

Thanks so it's really worth getting the pro model
Old 09-19-2017, 12:29 PM

Default NGD: 2017 Cordoba GK Pro Negra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
Thanks so it's really worth getting the pro model

I'm not sure about that. I played both and for me it wasn't worth it. Try them both and see which you prefer.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:51 PM

I have yet to find a store that carrys both guitars
Old 09-19-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
I have yet to find a store that carrys both guitars
Exactly. I've never seen a GK Pro in any store, not even in any of the larger San Francisco megastores. I had to buy mine sight-unseen.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:18 PM

Default NGD: 2017 Cordoba GK Pro Negra

U gotta get out more...
http://used.samashmusic.com/item.php?id=105842

For me they were both in their Paramus NJ location. This was years ago and I wound up purchasing the Studio after trying them. For me it's all about preference after playing them if possible.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:38 PM

New York? Yep, for someone like myself in California, going to New York to try out a guitar would definitely qualify as "getting out more"!

Anyway, no Sam Ash stores in my neck of the woods.

Gotta love that ad, though. Not only did they misspell "Luthier," they list it as a GK Pro Negra while showing a normal GK Pro.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:10 PM

Just saying they are in stores. Not necessarily in the stores you frequent. All good though! Both are great guitars IMO.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:30 AM

I was just hit with cancer in the family and a subsequent loss of income from having to take time off to deal with the treatments, so now my brand new GK Pro Negra described in this thread is for sale on reverb.com and e-bay.

It's brand new. Someone here really ought to grab it.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:18 PM

Great lookin' guitar - sorry to hear you have to sell - looks like a winner very tempting!

GLWYS!

TK

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical