The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-02-2019, 08:42 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustinfurlow View Post
This is seriously amazing. Stuff like this is why I visit the Custom Shop section...can't wait to hang at B.I.G this year, Ben!
Thanks, man! I'm really looking forward to meeting you and hearing your playing in person. You are an amazing player!
Old 12-02-2019, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

This one will be fun to follow. I would normally assume that redwood/cocobolo would have loads of warmth and sustain but am looking forward to hearing what that bracing configuration brings to the table. How exciting!

Best,
Jayne
Old 12-02-2019, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

Default Thanks and an update!

Island, Dustin, and Jayne--thanks much for your comments. It's an exciting build and I'm really looking forward to hearing how this wood combo and the new model come together to deliver their voice. I'm totally confident that it will be amazing!

And thanks to Ben for chiming in here as we all begin the ascent of Mount Arum. And Ben is much too modest--the "fairly adequate Wilborn" that I currently possess is a tonal cannon in its own right! That's what makes this project so exciting for me--the Arum will be a totally new flavor to add to the quiver.

And thanks also to Tom for his contributions and motivations to bring the Nautilus model into fruition!

So Ben sent me an update this weekend as the ascent begins. In his own words:

"Here are the side veneers getting epoxied and vacuumed into a strong, light lamination. The outside (our Hero) is the beautiful ink line cocobolo you have chosen. The middle veneer is maple, and the inside is also cocobolo. The veneers are all .040”, for a cumulative thickness of .120”, or very nearly an eighth of an inch. The form, therefore, I made to anticipate this; it is .120” smaller than the ultimate exterior dimensions of the guitar. The laminated sides are so stiff, I think this really matters. They won’t easily deform to fit the outside mold they will eventually be put in for the building of the box, so they need to be just right.
I’ll keep them under vacuum for long enough for the epoxy to set up, and then they will never have to be a consideration again- dead flat, very strong, and no cracking!"

The hat trick side combination...

Our hero front and center (actually not center but outer most in line!)...still really loving the looks of this cocobolo!

The team sucking it up...

Thanks again for all the comments and for checking the Arum out!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 12-02-2019, 12:22 PM

Getting to know Ben just a little has really been a highlight over the last few years. Maybe not as big as the birth of my two kids, but he has possibly been that big of pain every so often LOL! My contribution to this Nautilus thing really evolved from my appreciation of Ben's guitars and his constant desire to improve each one over the last. This desire gets harder and harder when they are all so good. I bought my first one at Woodstock in 2016 I think and it is still one of the very best I own.

I did offer a few ideas in the design of the Nautilus, but Ben is the mastermind here. I think I may have pushed him out of his comfort zone some and I will take credit for that, and I think the end result is everything I think he probably expected and I dreamed about. I have a feeling this Arum will be a leap over any Lion built in the past as well!

A shout out to Nemoman here also. I really wanted the first Nautilus, but Ben wanted to do the prototype first to make sure it would not implode, explode, or self destruct in anyway. Of course he could have used pine and popular, but no, Ziricote and Redwood!!!!! Anyhow, I was then going to have the first production Nautilus which was fine. Along came Nemoman and the Arum. Before the build was started, Kevin wanted Ben to make sure it was OK by me to build this before mine and then Ben checked with me also! These are two stand up guys. In my mind, I will still have the first true Nautilus as this is really a Nautilized Lion or a Lionized Nautilus....whatever, it will be great. But for those guys to worry about my feelings in this matter is amazing to me and speaks to how great they are.

Shameless plug, this is what B.I.G. can do. Kevin did not know Ben until last year's event and now they are embarking on this build as well as their friendship. How cool is that. And if you don't like Ben, he and I both know that is not that unusual, there will be Kinnaird brothers, Sexauer, Kostal, Lamehorse, Rory Dowling from Taran, and Tom Sands there. Maybe one of these will build your dream guitar like Ben is for Kevin.

OK, enough, thanks Kevin and Ben. Even if this guitar was not a special model, that Cocobolo is enough to follow this thread all by itself!
Old 12-02-2019, 07:51 PM
Charter Member

Default Thanks, Tom

Thanks for your kind words, Tom--we only did what any good friend would do.

And thanks for introducing me to the Wilborn Fan Club and your continued support of this new build!
Old 12-02-2019, 07:58 PM
Charter Member

Default Another update!

As anyone who has followed a Wilborn build thread knows, Ben (AKA Speed Racer) moves along at a swift pace!

Ben sent me these updates earlier today...

All the sides laminated and trimmed and getting ready to assume their lifelong position within the musical realm that is Arum!

Thanks again for checking it out!
Old 12-02-2019, 08:30 PM
Charter Member

Smile Bump for "shameless plug" for B.I.G.

What Tom said:

"Shameless plug, this is what B.I.G. can do. Kevin did not know Ben until last year's event and now they are embarking on this build as well as their friendship. How cool is that. And if you don't like Ben, he and I both know that is not that unusual, there will be Kinnaird brothers, Sexauer, Kostal, Lamehorse, Rory Dowling from Taran, and Tom Sands there. Maybe one of these will build your dream guitar like Ben is for Kevin."

I don't know anyone who dislikes Ben! He is FUN itself.

And that Coco is devastatingly beautiful!

This is going to RAWK.

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 12-03-2019, 06:12 AM
AGF Sponsor

Congratulations nemoman, that is a beautiful design and some spectacular wood. That should be one fine guitar.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

Default Let's rawk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Kraus View Post
Congratulations nemoman, that is a beautiful design and some spectacular wood. That should be one fine guitar.
Thanks, Bill! I'm really looking forward to seeing this one under finish and then playing that first chord upon completion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post

I don't know anyone who dislikes Ben! He is FUN itself.

And that Coco is devastatingly beautiful!

This is going to RAWK.

Paul
You are so right, Paul--it's impossible to not like Ben once you've had the chance to talk and hang out with him! I think Tom was referring to the fact that everyone taste's in guitars may not align with every luthier's work.

This Arum will rawk indeed! I remember how taken I was with this cocobolo when I saw it at the shop, but when I saw it again after Ben joined the back I was like, WOW!

This stuff should really come alive under finish.

Thanks for following along!
Old 12-03-2019, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

Default Gluing in the blocks...

The ascent continues as Ben now has the blocks glued in...

You just gotta love the monkey in the background!

More to come--thanks for checking it out...
Old 12-03-2019, 12:12 PM

That cocobolo! Lord have mercy. Such fun to follow! Can't wait for the rest to unfold (the pics, I mean. No one wants a guitar to unfold unless it's a Voyage Air).
Old 12-04-2019, 11:11 AM

Thanks for sharing this, Nemoman! Last year's B.I.G was wonderful! I was looking for a smaller (00) size guitar, and got to play so many wonderful guitars. I had never played one of Ben's guitars and his Lion model won my heart. I ended up with the Redwood/Koa Lion he had brought with him to Texas. The tone of that instrument is so much bigger and deeper than it's size and it's so responsive. I love playing my Lion model (I call her the Lioness because she's so beautiful!) and she goes everywhere with me.

And now you're presenting this wonderful thread where there's this fancy Lion model that might sound more warm and "cello" like with surround sound.... Wow!! I'm so interested to hear what this guitar will sound like. I've been thinking of a warmer sounding Lion model.... . Thanks for letting us follow along! The presence of this guitar just adds to the list of wonderful, unique beautiful instruments and great musical experiences that will be happening in Texas this Spring. Gonna be something!!
Old 12-04-2019, 07:31 PM
Charter Member

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt View Post
That cocobolo! Lord have mercy. Such fun to follow! Can't wait for the rest to unfold (the pics, I mean. No one wants a guitar to unfold unless it's a Voyage Air).
Thanks, Stan--I fell in love with this cocobolo at first sight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmh1 View Post
Thanks for sharing this, Nemoman! Last year's B.I.G was wonderful! I was looking for a smaller (00) size guitar, and got to play so many wonderful guitars. I had never played one of Ben's guitars and his Lion model won my heart. I ended up with the Redwood/Koa Lion he had brought with him to Texas. The tone of that instrument is so much bigger and deeper than it's size and it's so responsive. I love playing my Lion model (I call her the Lioness because she's so beautiful!) and she goes everywhere with me.

And now you're presenting this wonderful thread where there's this fancy Lion model that might sound more warm and "cello" like with surround sound.... Wow!! I'm so interested to hear what this guitar will sound like. I've been thinking of a warmer sounding Lion model.... . Thanks for letting us follow along! The presence of this guitar just adds to the list of wonderful, unique beautiful instruments and great musical experiences that will be happening in Texas this Spring. Gonna be something!!
Hey Beth--I played that Lion that went home with you--it is a wonderful guitar! Ben does have a way with coaxing volume and tone out of his smaller models. I'm glad you're enjoying it, and I agree with you--Lioness is a fitting name for this smaller model in my mind. I've come to think of the Arum model as the female gender as it has such beautiful curves and lines.

I'm excited to take it to BIG(er) and show her off--it's gonna be another great time with all the wonderful luthiers and AGFers in attendance!
Old 12-04-2019, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

Default The Arum ascent continues...

Ben sent me a few more pics as he begins to install the linings and bevel supports...

Finalizing the Arum pattern

The back bevel support

The final pattern--the hematoma at the top left is to support the router while doing the soundport

And last but not least, the prepping of the top prior to joining--loving this Tunnel 14!!!

All for now--stay tuned!
Old 12-04-2019, 07:51 PM
Charter Member

Default But wait, there's more!

Mr Toad's wild ride continues! Linings and bevel supports are now all in--it is really looking so clean and beautiful at this point.

Ben uses Spanish cedar for the bevel supports for that wonderful aroma therapy they lend to the mix...

OK--here she is!

Thanks for following along and checking her out!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop