The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-24-2013, 12:00 PM

Default Suggestion for a great acoustic? $2,000 budget

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by pumpkinpie2013; 10-24-2013 at 12:02 PM. Reason: wrong forum
Old 10-24-2013, 01:50 PM

I need more data to know your taste, also, depending on where you live $2000 can buy different guitar. Nevertheless, I suggest you try a Taylor 414Ce or the equivalent Martin. BUt there are an infinite brands and types of guitars in that price range, my friend.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:57 PM

Sorry, I actually moved the post to another forum because I only accidentally posted it here, but I'll include the info I put in that post:

I've been playing electric guitar for about 10 years -- mostly classic rock and blues, but with some indie rock thrown in there. I'm looking for an acoustic to play folk on.

I'm a girl with small hands, so I really need something with a narrower fretboard. I also like the action to be on the lower side.

Oh, and I live in DC, but go up to New York regularly. I bought my current guitar (Gretsch DuoJet 6128T) at Matt Umanov Guitars in Greenwich Village, my favorite guitar shop.

Thanks!
Old 10-24-2013, 10:25 PM

E-mail Alistair at Emerald guitars and tell him what neck size and action you need...I suggest either an X20-OS or a X7-OS...He will CUSTOM build one of them within your budget!!!
P.S. Also you will never have to worry about humidity, temperature, or intonation problems ever again...
I have the X20-OS and the sound is phenomenal but haven't tried the smaller X7...The OS stands for "offset sound hole" and brings your guitar sounds directly into your ears...Awesome...
Old 10-25-2013, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinpie2013 View Post
I'm looking for an acoustic to play folk on.

I'm a girl with small hands, so I really need something with a narrower fretboard. I also like the action to be on the lower side.

Oh, and I live in DC, but go up to New York regularly.
You're going to have quite a few options; are you open to buying used?

This is going to sound ridiculous, but since you're in DC, check out the GC @ Seven Corners in NoVa. I was in there last week and they had a '91 Martin D-35 within your stated budget that I would've brought home with me if I was in that market. Pretty sure it had a 1 11/16" nut too...

They had a pile of other used and clearance Martins too, and overall more acoustics than I've ever seen at a GC before.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:53 AM

Yep, not much to go on or even if it's worth replying.

This Martin; http://www.guitarcenter.com/Martin-D...33-i1171362.gc, is probably one of the best values today. It is rumored to be a D28 on the cheap. There's even a used model available; http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store...27-i3424489.gc, though I would always suggest you play a guitar before you buy that guitar. Nice policies regarding returns at any GC though. The sound of a Martin rosewood and spruce guitar is one that all other guitars will be compared against. It is a dreadnaught though and you may want a smaller bodied guitar.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:44 AM

It's really hard to give advice on guitars. However, at $2000 you can certainly find a variety of guitars by the top American manufacturers: Martin, Taylor, and Larrivee. (People always forget to include Larrivee. They're actually my favorite of the three brands). Eastman is probably also worth looking in to, and will run a few hundred bucks cheaper than those three, but many of them are made in china (which you may or may not have an issue with).

So what you do is you go into a nice locally-owned guitar store with a broad selection, and talk to the salesman, and play a whole bunch of guitars. You don't let him pressure you into making a choice. (And you go local because the employees at Guitar Center and Sam Ash are often pushing you towards certain choices to make commissions.). You ask him a whole bunch of questions, and don't buy until you find a guitar you're excited to own.

And if it takes you a couple of different trips to make up your mind, that's just fine.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write