The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-18-2018, 09:13 AM

Default How long must I wait?

A new guitar is being delivered. It's 37 degrees F outside. 72 degrees inside.

I have a digital FlashPoint thermometer that you point at an object and it reads the temperature of the surface of the object.

Can I open the box and just leave the case closed until it warms up? Or, should I wait until the surface of the box warms up a bit before opening it?

This is going to be torture I tell you!!!
Old 04-18-2018, 09:21 AM

You should unbox the case after it's been inside for an hour, and then wait at least 4 hours before you open the case.

In my opinion, these are minimums. Many people would argue they aren't enough, but I've not had any issue doing it my way.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

Patience is your friend here. What's another day compared to avoiding the horror of finish checks spreading before your eyes? If the box, and then case, feels at all colder than the room temperature, do not open it. It's not worth it. If I were you (and I was, less than a week ago), I'd wait until tomorrow morning. The guitar will still be there.

Last edited by Erithon; 04-18-2018 at 02:38 PM.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:46 AM

You've waited long enough. Take it out and give it another hour and start playing.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

I tend to be very cautious and OVERLY cautious if the guitar has a nitro cellulose finish. My opening regiment is as follows:

1) Bring box in house, open box and remove whatever packing material I can without removing the case.

2) When the outside of the box reaches room temperature (usually 2-4 hours pending weather), I pull the case out of the box.

3) When the outside of the case reaches room temperature (usually 1-3 hours), I open the case, leaving the guitar inside.

4) After an hour of ogling the guitar in its case, I will take it out and visually inspect it.

5) Wipe grin and drool off face and play, play, play.

I realize that this is more than probably necessary. But I had a guitar 'check' on me once because of my impatience and I will never let it happen again.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:07 AM

I would be overly cautious, too, just because finish checks would really bug me if I knew my impatience were the cause. When you go to a restaurant, you know the menu prices aren't the REAL prices you're going to pay (because of the tip). I think of guitar delivery in the cold the same way: if it's arriving on Tuesday, I REALLY get it on Wednesday. I waited a day, and lived to tell about it.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJP5 View Post
I tend to be very cautious and OVERLY cautious if the guitar has a nitro cellulose finish. My opening regiment is as follows:

1) Bring box in house, open box and remove whatever packing material I can without removing the case.

2) When the outside of the box reaches room temperature (usually 2-4 hours pending weather), I pull the case out of the box.

3) When the outside of the case reaches room temperature (usually 1-3 hours), I open the case, leaving the guitar inside.

4) After an hour of ogling the guitar in its case, I will take it out and visually inspect it.

I realize that this is more than probably necessary. But I had a guitar 'check' on me once because of my impatience and I will never let it happen again.
I agree through 3), but once you open the case there is nothing gained by leaving it in the case beyond masochism.

Not tryin' to brag, or nuthin', but I own a guitar.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJP5 View Post

That’s my routine as well.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:24 AM

Since it sounds like you have the time, after an hour or so I'd take the case out of the box, and then leave and go to a movie double feature.

You can't have it now, instead you must hesitate...
Old 04-18-2018, 10:29 AM

Think of it as a deep sea diver would as he ascends from the deep. Give it time. Do it in steps. Open the box but let the inside come up to room temp. Then take the case out. The wait AT LEAST 4 hours before attempting to open. It is tempting, but you don't want to shock your instrument right away.

Hey... While you're waiting go order yourself a Tonerite. You can thank me later.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 04-18-2018, 10:35 AM

Thank everyone. The FedEx truck cannot get here soon enough!!!

I will be patient. It is a modern guitar and does not have a nitro finish but, I will be patient.

I will be patient

I will be patient

I will be patient

Look for a NGD post later...
Old 04-18-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrj View Post
Thank everyone. The FedEx truck cannot get here soon enough!!!

I will be patient. It is a modern guitar and does not have a nitro finish but, I will be patient.

I will be patient

I will be patient

I will be patient

Look for a NGD post later...
Sounds like you're a bit impatient about being patient.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:47 AM

Hey! This is a NGD! How can anyone truly be patient...
Old 04-18-2018, 11:42 AM

It's here!

Funny thing. UPS delivered it in a FedEx box. The driver made a comment about it. We laughed.

Timer started...

You all have to wait until I open it to find out what's inside. Muhaha!!!! (no telling if you already know!)
Old 04-18-2018, 01:32 PM

How long would you wait to open the case at a gig?

If it were me 1/2 hour at the most.

They are not that fragile

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion