The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-19-2013, 07:57 PM

Default UGD: Blackbird Rider (from LA Guitar Sales)

When Ted put this used beauty up a few days ago, I couldn't ignore it even though I had thought that I have given up on travel/parlor guitars. So I decided to check it out in person before someone snapped it up. There was no buying "sight unseen" this time; I had to test it myself to see if it measured up against a set of very high standards I had in mind.

Portability: It was apparent from the start that this is the most portable "real" acoustic guitar I had ever come across. (I don't consider the Traveler a "real" acoustic because it generates virtually no sound without being plugged in -- it's merely a practice device IMO.) It is definitely less bulky and lighter than a Voyage-Air, and obviously more durable than a Go Guitar. I will definitely carry it with me on my next flight, and hopefully I won't have to gate-check it. *Fingers crossed*

Playability: To play this guitar while sitting down, the "neckup" support is a must. (Kudos to Ted for throwing it in!) The neck is neither too thick nor too thin, and the action is set just right (at 7/64" on the low E). The protrusion of the soundhole up to the 9th fret is not really an issue, as you can easily access the frets from the other side. All in all, it's very comfortable to play.

Sound: Portability is nice, but I need some tone to go with it, and this is where so many travel guitars failed before. Although I found out right away that it's not going to compete with a good OM in volume, I was pleasantly surprised by the projection at the first strum. It also does not have the complexity of a rosewood guitar, but it's sort of unrealistic to expect it out of a carbon-fiber guitar. It's reasonably responsive to the soft touches, as well as strums. There was a new one with slight changes in construction and a MiSi pickup, which was excessively bright for me, so I went with this used one that had a little more warmth. Anyway, what really got me when I played some more at home is the presence of some great bass for its size. It's probably the result the location of the soundhole, but I'm enjoying the amount of bass not found in any other parlor-sized guitar I've come across.

All in all, it was hard to part with 15 Benjamins, but I think I got a tremendous travel guitar for the money. Now I understand why these don't come around in the used market very often, and I think I took advantage of an opportunity that may not surface anytime soon. Many thanks to Ted!

Some other highlights on the visit:

Rainsong Parlor: It's definitely another impressive small CF guitar, but still a little too bulky for traveling.

Custom Martin 15: I can now testify that these custom 0-15 and 00-15 instruments are something special. They just flat-out sound louder and better than the "standard" 15s in other shops. I was SHOCKED by the tone coming out of these fine guitars. Ted should be put in jail for making so many addicts with his custom Martins.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:16 PM

Awesome review ToykyoNeko!!! Congradulations on your Blackbird!!!
Old 04-20-2013, 12:06 AM

"Rainsong Parlor: It's definitely another impressive small CF guitar, but still a little too bulky for traveling."

I actually like the Rider quite a lot but just don't quite get the above statement. 2 inches, just seems like a small difference, and both very light.

Rider dimensions. 35 1/2" x 10 1/2" x 4 1/4"

Parlor dimensions. 37.78 x. 13.34. X. 4.125
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 04-20-2013, 10:00 AM

Awesome review TokyoNeko! So glad you like your new Rider and that you had a chance to try some of the custom Martins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
"Rainsong Parlor: It's definitely another impressive small CF guitar, but still a little too bulky for traveling."

I actually like the Rider quite a lot but just don't quite get the above statement. 2 inches, just seems like a small difference, and both very light.
Steve, perhaps you've not handled these two guitars at the same time, there is a significant difference in bulk between the two. For airline travel the Rider is tough to beat and I'm not just talking about stowing the guitar, it's also way more handy while running through the terminal.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
I hope you didn't take my comment as an attack on what apparently is one of your favorite models, and as I said earlier, it's a fine guitar in its own right. But I concur with Ted's response to your quote, as we were having that very conversation when I was at his shop yesterday. I sought a very narrow window of compromise between tone and portability, and those extra inches do make a difference. I've tried overseas travel with a similarly sized guitar (A&L Ami) before, and it just didn't work out to well for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Awesome review TokyoNeko! So glad you like your new Rider and that you had a chance to try some of the custom Martins.
As am I, Ted. Part of it could be the honeymoon effect, but I see myself keeping this around for years to come, if not permanently. It's proving to be a very versatile guitar in more ways than one.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:31 PM

So, Blackbirds new model is braced differently? And you thought it sounded brighter? Any thoughts from anyone else that has compared the two?

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 04-20-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoNeko View Post
I hope you didn't take my comment as an attack on what apparently is one of your favorite models, and as I said earlier, it's a fine guitar in its own right. But I concur with Ted's response to your quote, as we were having that very conversation when I was at his shop yesterday. I sought a very narrow window of compromise between tone and portability, and those extra inches do make a difference. I've tried overseas travel with a similarly sized guitar (A&L Ami) before, and it just didn't work out to well for me.

As am I, Ted. Part of it could be the honeymoon effect, but I see myself keeping this around for years to come, if not permanently. It's proving to be a very versatile guitar in more ways than one.
No did I not take it that way at all! lol For my travel the Parlor gives me enough compactness that's all. Life is full of compromises
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
Old 04-20-2013, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itself View Post
So, Blackbirds new model is braced differently? And you thought it sounded brighter? Any thoughts from anyone else that has compared the two?
I doubt you'll find many people who've had chances to touch the old AND the new at this time, but what Ted told me yesterday is that Blackbird CONSTANTLY tweaks the manufacturing. Combine that with other variations that comes with the "handmade" process, and apparently no one guitar is supposed to sound the same from the other. Maybe Ted can chime in on here and articulate it better than I could.

Quote:
No did I not take it that way at all! lol For my travel the Parlor gives me enough compactness that's all. Life is full of compromises
Fair enough. If the Rainsong Parlor is comfortable for you to carry around everywhere, that's the right travel guitar for you. Yet another example of different sets of firm stands and compromises for different people.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:40 PM

I think Rainsong also makes tweaks along the way. I swear their guitars are better than the ones I tried years ago but maybe I am just more used to and in love with the sound. But it makes sense that they would keep improving and not necessarily change body shapes. I love that Blackbird just revoiced their Lucky 13. Shows the skill these guys are getting over the sound they want to produce.
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
Old 04-21-2013, 02:21 PM

Funny you mentioned the Lucky 13. I played one (presumably the older model) at McCabe's the other day, and for some reason I wasn't too excited with its tone. Maybe the newly re-voiced one will be better. Not that I'm in a position to get it, now that I have a Rider...
Old 04-21-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoNeko View Post
Funny you mentioned the Lucky 13. I played one (presumably the older model) at McCabe's the other day, and for some reason I wasn't too excited with its tone. Maybe the newly re-voiced one will be better. Not that I'm in a position to get it, now that I have a Rider...
I agree on all counts, it was a blues flavor which wasn't me but Andy says that it is voiced more like the Parlor which makes me interested but having already spent my money as well.
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
Old 04-21-2013, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itself View Post
There is only a few months between the build dates of the two guitars TN tried and I'm not aware of any bracing changes but he definitely seemed to gravitate towards the used one. And yes, I played both but not side by side so I can't confirm or deny any tonal difference.

Last edited by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales; 04-21-2013 at 09:22 PM. Reason: typo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber