The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-01-2024, 02:27 PM

Default 1973 Martin D-18 Authenticity Check

Long time lurker here, folks.

A local ad popped up for this Martin D-18 and I wanted to get the gut reaction of folks better informed than myself. I've always wanted a 60s or 70s D-18 or D-28 and it would be a significant investment for me. It's well priced, but not a crazy deal either.

Seller is the original owner and says he put on the Hummingbird pick guard in the early 80s to cover a hairline crack that was professionally repaired (again, according to him). These are the only two photos I have, but will ask for more if it looks like the real thing to those of you who would know.

Thanks very much.

Old 04-01-2024, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

What's on the side (s?) of the headstock? Did it have different tuners for some reason/at one time? Hard to tell much about the instrument from those photos.
Old 04-01-2024, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogma View Post
What's on the side (s?) of the headstock? Did it have different tuners for some reason/at one time? Hard to tell much about the instrument from those photos.
Possible it could of had words that were in context to a Gibson. The pick guard is the give away. 😄. Take that off it will sound way better.
Gibson SJ200
1931 L00
1937 L30
1910 F4
1911 Style U
2022 J45
2011 J185
1957 Hofner Club50
Old 04-01-2024, 03:37 PM

I think that one would need to be very well priced to be a good investment.
Old 04-01-2024, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

It looks like it could use a good cleaning but for an over 50 year old guitar, it looks in reasonable condition.

That looks like residue from some kind of stickers to me. Check the neck angle, tap the top and back to check for loose braces. Look up the serial number on the Martin look up page. It's right on their site.

It just might be a great guitar. The only way to know is to go play it!

Good luck
Old 04-01-2024, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

Other than the pick guard it looks right…but…those two photos are not enough to say conclusively…if I was looking for a 70’s D-18 that guitar would be a hard pass for me…

Last edited by J Patrick; 04-01-2024 at 04:23 PM.
Old 04-01-2024, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

From the photos it does look like a real d-18. It’s odd how much corrosion is on the tuning machines. I’d have to see it in person and it’d have to be great price. My teacher plays a 70s d-18 and it’s really nice. Good thing is now we’re on the other side of the pandemic pricing so should be able to get a deal. I’d offer around $1200.
Old 04-01-2024, 04:06 PM

Thanks for the helpful insights, everyone. That gives me enough to go on to find out more information and give it a play. It looks like it may have been stored somewhere damp. Apparently it's been stored in its hard case for at least ten years without being touched.

Asking price is CAD 2,000, so about USD 1,500.

I realize it would need some work to get it up to snuff too, so I'd need to budget for that...
Old 04-01-2024, 04:19 PM

I've honestly never heard of anyone faking a 70's Martin.
Old 04-10-2024, 09:30 PM

I just wanted to thank you guys for the initial feedback on my post. I went to check it out and had a good play. I chatted with the old guy who was the original owner- he can’t play anymore due to arthritis.

It has a few issues but after some negotiation I wakes out with my new to me D18! It seems to be well cared for in some ways, but there’s definitely been some amateur “luthier” working on it. I found a big honking piece of rough cut maple glued to the already big rosewood bridgeplate the bridge is lifting a bit, but it needs to be moved back about 1/8” anyway. And then there’s that pick guard…I’ve already made some progress removing it, but someone seems to have used epoxy of something crazy to tack down the edges that we’re pulling up. The neck could use a bit of relief taken out of it and a neck reset is on the horizon.

That’s all the bad. The good is pretty much everything else. Lovely sound, beautiful finish (underneath the built up crud), and tons of character that speaks to me. I love old things that need work and I see this old girl keeping me company for a long time.

Old 04-11-2024, 06:14 AM
Charter Member

Oh boy, that's a beauty!

Take good care of that old girl!
Old 04-11-2024, 06:23 AM

Pretty nice guitar! I have a '74 & it's a keeper. I'd get that bridgeplate replaced with a small maple one asap. Mine was done by Bryan Kimsey & it makes a huge difference!

So, looks like you have removed the pickguard?

Frank
Old 04-11-2024, 06:32 AM
Charter Member

Looks like quite a project, but good on you for bringing that nice old guitar back to life!

I love stories like this.
2022 Taylor 712ce
Old 04-11-2024, 06:36 AM

Congratulations, it is a good looking guitar and a nice find! It looks to have the original case as well.
Old 04-11-2024, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwphoto View Post
Pretty nice guitar! I have a '74 & it's a keeper. I'd get that bridgeplate replaced with a small maple one asap. Mine was done by Bryan Kimsey & it makes a huge difference!

So, looks like you have removed the pickguard?

Frank
I’m up in Canada, so getting it to Bryan would be prohibitively expensive. I’ll think about getting a good local luthier to take it on but I want to live with it for a bit to really see what I think of the rosewood sound. Has anyone ever tried a plate mate or melamine or thin carbon fibre to see if it sharpens the sound (which I hear can be a bit dull).

Yes, I’ve removed the pick guard and am in the midst of carefully removing the hardened adhesive. Slow and careful. I’ve got Taylor at Holter working on a beautiful replacement right now, actually. It’ll have a tan line from the hummingbird pattern for a while, I’m sure, but that’s part of its story.

And yes, it seems to have the original hard case. It’s actually the nicest case I’ve had for a guitar. Custom fitted, it seems.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion