The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 09:28 AM

Thanks, I missed that one.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:35 AM

So an X10 with a "proper" nut width is $2,400 at a minimum (and $2850 minimum with a short scale).

The size would be perfect, but it makes an X20 seem like a much better bargain; even more so for the Opus version. Sigh.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:22 AM

I am quite interested to see if Opus is truly gone? I would be surprised, but maybe they do so much custom it's worth it for them to just cut it. If anyone hears about that...let us know
Old 05-31-2018, 10:22 AM

Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
Have a look at an X20 .
Thanks for pointing that out. Surprised I missed that. Could make an interesting harp guitar. So far I’ve never run out of frets on my Chimaera, now this has me thinking of even more possibilities.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonA View Post
So an X10 with a "proper" nut width is $2,400 at a minimum (and $2850 minimum with a short scale).

The size would be perfect, but it makes an X20 seem like a much better bargain; even more so for the Opus version. Sigh.
There seems to be LOTS of interest in a 1.75" nut, short-scale X10. Would be helpful to get Emerald's official price increase for that.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Since I've got all three spec pages up, I'd figured I'd do everyone a solid and put together some numbers for easy comparison:

X? Length Width Depth Scale Nut Spacing

X7 18" 14.25" 4.25" 24" 1.75" 2.25"

X10 18" 14.75: 4.75" 25.5" 1.6875" 2.25"

X20 19" 15.25" 4.75" 25.5" 1.75" 2.25"

Legacy X7
13.5" 16.38" 4" 14" 1.75" 2.25"
I added measurements from the Legacy X7. Just measurements I took so they aren't exact. It appears there's lot of change to that model. It might have made more sense to re-designate it as an entirely new offering.

Last edited by Blunote; 05-31-2018 at 11:57 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 05-31-2018, 03:10 PM

Hey Guys
I thought I would just drop in and say hello and maybe shed some light on the new models.
Last night we launched the new models at our 20th anniversary concert and what an incredible night it was. We had been planning to live stream it but unfortunately we had some technical difficulties and lost the feed but we still have the footage which should be streamed tomorrow. I will post a link when we have it.
I won't even begin to describe the evening as you just need to watch it and enjoy the occasion.
So the new models.
We have a very wide range of instruments but since discontinuing some older models a couple years back we were a bit lacking in the 6 string department so that all changed last night.
The New X7, X10 and X30 make up a new family of instruments all of which share similar design features such as the Extended access heel design, rib bevel and X20 style sound hole. I spent a long long time developing these designs trying to find the perfect combination of dimensions and features that would give each guitar a very unique purpose without stepping on each others toes and I think we were very successful to this end.

X7
The X7 really is a totally reimagined instrument from the original X7 and only shares the name and scale length.
I wanted to take it from being thought of as purely a travel guitar to being a parlour guitar that is also great for travel.
The body has been enlarged a little bit in every way that actually makes it sit more comfortably in the knee and combined with the 24" scale and 12 fret to body design it brings the neck further into the body reducing left arm stretch and putting the bridge in the perfect tonal sweet spot. Its really a great sounding guitar. A much fuller and richer tone than the old X7 and very comfortable to play.

X10
The X10 will be controversial and has proven so already on here but I make no apologies for it and Im incredibly proud of this guitar.
For a long time I have wanted to build an acoustic guitar that would bridge the gap between acoustic and electric and finally I found the right combination of components to make it work.
The body is very similar in size and design to the X7 and in many ways you could consider the X7 a short scale X10. The neck on the X10 has been designed to be slim and fast and appeal to electric players while still feeling spacious enough for acoustic players. So far the feedback from both sides has been fantastic
I wanted this guitar to be an incredibly versatile tool for a performing musician so after much discussion with Graphtech we came up with a combination of components that offer incredible versatility.
The individual saddles are a really exciting addition as they offer simple height adjustment in seconds so you can always find the perfect action for your style.
These individual piezo saddles combined with the Graphtech preamp give a really fantastic acoustic tone with power ,definition and balance.
For Level 2 electronics we have combined the piezo with a custom Krivo Humbucker. We worked with Jason to come up with a design that offers a beautiful electric tone that complements that acoustic voice yet gives a fantastic new dimension when plugged into an amp.
And then as we already have 6 individual pickup signals it would be wrong to not offer a midi option. I know its not what many will need but in the right hands that can create some magic.
The control knobs have already gained some criticism here but for that I dont apologise. We are creating a stage guitar where function is priority so we wanted to use controls that were immediate and accessible. I may change the knob design a little but essentially the layout is how it will remain. Also if you go for piezo only option this will come with a sound hole mounted volume control for a clean look.
We have had some musicians already gig testing the X10 and the response so far has been incredible.

X30
The X30 is a big guitar with a fantastic acoustic voice. I had a huge smile when I strummed it for the first time . Its got a really warm and full voice with lots of bass but it still has great balance across the other registers making it great for both strumming and finger picking.
The Ergonomics of our designs really come into play here as this is a big guitar but really feels comfortable to play. Dont let its size scare you.

And there was a fourth model revealed last night but you will have to wait to see the video to find out what it is.

Im really excited about all these new designs and I think each one will be a success and keep us very busy in the coming months.
We will have acoustic demo videos coming through very soon and we will be shipping the first models very soon with a very limited amount of stock available already.

For those asking about a short scale X10 then you might want to consider the X7. Both bodies are very close in proportion and tone

For Those wanting a wider neck X10, we can offer that in custom widths

On the question of Opus, yes we are discontinuing the Opus series. We sell 10 Artisan to every 1 Opus so it made more sense to discontinue the Opus and offer the option of having no pickup on an Artisan and switch from case to gig bag on some models.
We still have a small stock of Opus guitars in our stock section but won't be making any more after they are gone.

Im sure you all have a lot more questions so feel free to post them and Ill drop in again tomorrow to answer them.
Alistair
Old 05-31-2018, 03:36 PM

Mr. Hay is doing some great stuff here... I better start saving up, get a bigger place, and learn to play.... you know.... stuff like that.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 05-31-2018, 04:24 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for taking the time to post, Alistair - you have, no doubt, been a very busy guy! I have an e-mail inquiry in to Emerald, and look forward to hearing from you. Can't wait to see some video from the celebration and the word on the 4th new design!

Wishing you all the best,
Jim
Old 05-31-2018, 04:59 PM

Yeah . Thanks Alistair.... For the GAS attack.

Congratulations on the new designs, I especially love the new X7 , but will hold off my order ‘til I see the fourth option!

I did always think the cutaway access could be improved (maybe on future X20s too ? )

Not that it really matters to me , I don’t stray far past the fifth fret anyway, unless maybe I’m capo’d on 4 ...
Old 05-31-2018, 06:26 PM
Guest 928

Alistair;

I am so disappointed! I thought it was clear that my new X10-OSN, thin-bodied, electric guitar was at the top of your list. And here you've put your stuff ahead of mine.

As if that is not enough, my friend Joe R tells me that his Baylor will be shipped by Friday.

Disappointed, but amazed. Congratulations on what appear to be great changes in the research and development of the guitar. So, you just go ahead, take your time with mine. I guess we all need to share.
Old 05-31-2018, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Alistair,

The X30 is great addition, I love big tone.
Lindsay Marcus D - Sitka/Madi RW

Gone But Not Forgotten
Tom Sands Model S (Crystal) - Italian/Fiddleback Hog
Old 05-31-2018, 09:05 PM

Oh my that new X7 looks nice. Already having visions of one in my hands.....hmmm, good thoughts indeed!
Old 05-31-2018, 10:31 PM

Well...

1st I want to say that I really like the look of the new X-7. Having the whole series incorporate the X-20 style soundhole really ties the line together stylistically.

The new X-7 is enough larger than the old X-7 that I honestly think you should have called it the X-10, and the new X-10 an X-12 maybe.

The new X-7 is however what many of us have been asking for which is a 00 size instrument. I'd have preferred a 24.9 inch scale but you can't please everyone.

I already think the X-20 is almost too big as it is, so I personally have no interest in the X-30. As for the X-10, I never learned to play an electric.

If the X-10 were offered with a normal saddle and 12-string neck (same width as the X-20-12)... lets just say that could be quite appealing...
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 05-31-2018, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair Hay View Post
Hey Guys

X7
I wanted to take it from being thought of as purely a travel guitar to being a parlour guitar that is also great for travel.
Alistair
Well, where I come from the old X-7 was already the size of a Parlor Guitar:

(pick of my X7 next to my Larrivee Parlor)

Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber