The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-10-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I agree, I hope Ted will reply, but I believe he meant that even though CF were introduced 20 years ago, they have not begun to dent the wood guitar market not that Rainsong had no competition.
That is correct, Tom. While Rainsong is the largest producer of CF guitars, followed by CA and Journey, the combined number of guitars built by the "big three" is less than what Collings, a boutique brand, builds each year.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:01 PM

Tommy, in some ways it is hard to part with a truly stellar Steinway piano (it is the piano equivalent of a Taylor 914 or a Martin D45 to put it in guitar terms). But neither of us have had time to play it regularly for several years, and the new owner has two PhD's in music and music therapy. She can sit down and play spontaneously for 90 minutes and be fully worthy of stage performance. So it is being adopted to a good home, instead of sitting here mostly un-played - except for twice yearly tunings.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:03 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
In some ways, it is hard to part with a truly stellar Steinway piano (it is the piano equivalent of a Taylor 914 or Martin D45 to put it in guitar terms). But neither of us have had time to play it regularly for several years, and the new owner has two PhD's in music and music therapy. She can sit down and play spontaneously for 90 minutes and be fully worthy of stage performance. So it is being adopted to a good home, instead of sitting here mostly un-played.
When parting with prized, quality items, it's always heartening to know that it'll be in good hands and well used. Such was the case when I sold my vintage '58 Start in '02. I wasn't using it much anymore and fortunately the guy who bought it was an avid electric player.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:07 PM

Quote:
After Ted brought up the potential for hitting the longer fret board while strumming, I spent considerable time yesterday playing my Taylor T5 which has 21 frets, but an unfretted extension that is about the same length as the Emerald 24 fret neck. (Wish that I could post pictures, as I have a composite image showing both guitars side by side, plus the Chimaera's 20 fret 12-string neck). While strumming T5, I did hit that fret board extension occasionally with the flat pick, so for me it was an issue. I get that the X20-12 will sit differently than the thinner T5, but not wanting to take the chance......

So I shot an email off to Sean at Emerald last night, and he responded first thing this morning. They've never had this question asked before so they don't really consider it a big issue, but are willing to build me a green Artisan with a 20 fret neck (for a small and reasonable additional charge). That should resolve the question fully for me. I've never used the 20th fret on any acoustic guitar, much less on a twelve string. Fret #17 is as high as I go in normal play.

So I placed the order just now. The four month clock starts ticking...... meaning it should actually arrive sometime near my birthday! (My wife pointed that out). In the meantime, I will "get by" with my Taylor 354LTD twelve string.

PS: The Opus version of the X20-12 is no longer showing in stock like it did just last night, so someone must have snatched it up this morning. Was that someone here at AGF? I decided on the Artisan anyway, so I'm not concerned, just curious.
You know, when I first noticed this thread on the main page, the title was cut off to read "Why not a Ted, Emerald X20" so I thought someone was suggesting a Ted signature model. Well, as it turns out, it looks like you are getting just that, Earl, an X20 with design changes suggested by me. Enjoy!

Hey, maybe Alistair will send me a mug to thank me for the idea.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
When parting with prized, quality items, it's always heartening to know that it'll be in good hands and well used. Such was the case when I sold my vintage '58 Start in '02. I wasn't using it much anymore and fortunately the guy who bought it was an avid electric player.
Far better that this piano goes to her (she flies around the world giving lessons in music therapy and performance) than some yahoo with cash from Craigslist that is just looking for a piece of fancy furniture. We took her to the local Steinway dealer when she was here looking and she played every one in stock up to the $140K nine footers, then played ours again for five minutes and immediately got out her check book.

Meanwhile, back to your regular carbon fiber programming............
Old 07-10-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
.....so I thought someone was suggesting a Ted signature model. Well, as it turns out, it looks like you are getting just that, Earl, an X20 with design changes suggested by me. Enjoy! Hey, maybe Alistair will send me a mug to thank me for the idea.
Thanks for the point-out on the fret board length Ted. I would never have anticipated that by myself, and it WAS an issue based on the way that I hold the guitar and where I strum (physical geometry is so.... individual).

I will think of it as the "Ted model". If Alistair doesn't send you a mug, maybe I'll pass mine along.
Old 07-10-2017, 03:06 PM
Guest 928

This thread has been a wonderment. People selling wooden guitars to make room for cf guitars and now Earl making lots of cf space and some money by parting with a fine piano. What's the world coming to?
Old 07-10-2017, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
This thread has been a wonderment. People selling wooden guitars to make room for cf guitars and now Earl making lots of cf space and some money by parting with a fine piano. What's the world coming to?
Wonderous stuff indeed Evan, but it all pales into insignificance next to Ted's new "partnership" with Emerald !
Old 07-10-2017, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

Wow..what a thread !
Congrats Earl, I can't wait to see it and hear your thoughts on the X20-12
Old 07-10-2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the point-out on the fret board length Ted. I would never have anticipated that by myself, and it WAS an issue based on the way that I hold the guitar and where I strum (physical geometry is so.... individual).

I will think of it as the "Ted model". If Alistair doesn't send you a mug, maybe I'll pass mine along.
Thanks, Earl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
Wonderous stuff indeed Evan, but it all pales into insignificance next to Ted's new "partnership" with Emerald !
Love it, Jon!
Old 07-10-2017, 06:08 PM
Guest 928

Long Jon;

Astute observation. It's almost like a Europe/America love fest.

Earl;

Hang on there, I have a mug that I can forward to Ted (I'll be getting a new one). Ted has been a good sport with us and a valuable source of information. He deserves a cup.
Old 07-10-2017, 06:11 PM

Dont Fret!!!!!!! Im here at last.
Well its great to hear Ted has joined the X20 Family but you should have given me a call and I could have built you one to your specs. As you know custom is our thing. I will get Sean to Send you a mug out this week because your really not getting the full experience without the mug. Your favourite coffee in an Emerald mug and you won't even care about the number of frets. Its an ancient Irish mind trick
The X20 is the result of a lot of development and distillation of design over the past 19 years I have been building Emeralds. We started with a pretty conventional design and deviated from there. I tried many new ideas over the years, some met the public and many died at the design phase.
At the time I developed the X20 I agonised over it for 18 months before releasing it to the public, personally I thought it was a bit too modern, too many new design ideas but in the end I went with it and it has been a huge success and a real mark of that success is that we haven't changed the basic design concept at all since its launch. Yes the structure has changed but the design elements haven't.
When I brought out the X20 I had the X10, X30 and T20 to compete against it. They all had centre sound holes and it soon became very apparent that our customers preferred the offset sound hole by a ratio of 5:1. Yes it looks a bit different but that sound hole has been a major part of our success. People seem to love how it helps project towards the player yet still gives great forward projection. Its the best of both worlds.
Now on to the great fret debate.
Firstly there is no right or wrong here.
On electric guitars the number of frets has an influence on where the neck pickup is placed and that is the most important aspect, If it didn't effect pickups all electric would probably have 24 frets.
On acoustics the number of frets would generally be dictated by the location of the sound hole. Nobody wants to move the sound hole too close to the bridge and it doesn't look great to extend the fretboard into the sound hole so a 20 or 22 fret compromise was found.
So heres how I came up with my own design flaw/ choice
24 frets gives you 2 octaves, to me it just seems like a logical number of frets to have on there. Yes its true that not very many people will ever fret above the 20th fret but there are lots of players who will use the 24th fret to locate the 24th fret harmonic.
Truthfully Ted is the first person to mention the 24 frets as a problem, thats not to say it hasn't been a problem for others but they just haven't brought it to my attention, on the flip side many people have commented on how much they like the 24 frets and many players specify 24 frets on their custom builds.
The thing that excites me about guitar building is that there is no such thing as the best. Whats a positive for one is a negative for another and that keeps things interesting. Its for this reason that we offer a full customisation service at very reasonable rates.
If you prefer 20 frets then we will build it with 20 frets, If you want a deeper cutaway then we can build a deeper cutaway, if you want 12 frets to the body then no problem. I try to be as flexible as possible and all in the pursuit of building the perfect guitar for each individual player.
There are great choices in the carbon fibre sector and i respect each and every builder and feel proud to be part of this.
Its great to see all this healthy debate about instruments and its always good when design choices are questioned because then we have the opportunity to explain the thought processes behind them.
Isn't music great!!!!!
Alistair
Old 07-10-2017, 07:00 PM

Ancient Irish mind trick.

Two octaves.

Free mug. (No worries, Ted-we know it won't affect your integrity)

Great post Alistair.

Isn't music great? YES!

I just got back from the beach where I played my X20.
Old 07-10-2017, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair Hay View Post
Dont Fret!!!!!!! Im here at last.
I had faith you would show up eventually.

When I was a kid I knew a guy who had a 7 fret guitar. He played it so well that I never considered it as a design flaw.

Keep the magic coming and I will keep practicing on my X20.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 07-10-2017, 07:37 PM
Charter Member

Alistair, thanks for the insight as to the design and "history" of the X20. It is my favorite guitar, and I enjoy each and every fret. I also appreciate what you bring to the carbon fiber offerings with custom "fit" for your customers. Emerald is a first class operation.

Earl, congratulations on placing your order for an X20-12. I'll be looking forward to your impressions when it arrives, and hope the wait goes fast and easy for you.

What a love fest here today! We were cruising in the motorhome, hiking by Lake Champlain, a stop at a bike shop to see if they can do something for the brake lever I busted on my e-bike, then took the Blonde out for supper. And reading all this here is a nice way to top off the day.

Best wishes,
Jim

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber