The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-07-2017, 04:53 PM
Guest 1478

Default Emerald X20 colours

Hi guys.
With the guidance of you fellers on AGF and Sean at Emerald Guitars I've decided to get an X20 Artisan.

When I optioned up an Opus with Anthem pickup and hardcase the extra cost to get an Artisan with the same features was pretty small. And now I can choose a colour! Which colour? I can't decide between the amber or the red.

The colour on internet images can vary a lot and I've seen examples of both amber and red X20s, some of which look nice and others that look positively gaudy. They both look good on Emerald's website.

So, how do these two colours compare in real life to the images on Emerald's website?
Thanks...XT.
Old 03-07-2017, 05:20 PM

Tuff call... I have seen many in real life and all look great and can change with lighting like a fine paint job on an expensive car.
I know this may not help but had to be said.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 03-07-2017, 07:38 PM
Guest 928

I had the ruby red in my X20-OSN and have it in my X10-OSN. I love it. But if I had to do it over again, I'd go for a woody. In terms of distinction, Alistair's woodies are beyond compare. You'll pay more, but you''ll have something that no other maker can provide.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:26 PM
Charter Member

The colors seem to be a bit more subdued than the professional pictures. At least my blue X7 is. I love the colors. And the woodies.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:47 PM

I just looked at the Emerald site , no March edition of the select series out yet apparently .
If I wanted a special X20 in a hurry , I'd watch out for the next issue there and jump on it quick if I liked the look.
(I see the February models are ALL sold, I know some of the fellahs here bought some of them.)

FWIW, re: colours , my green X7 appears to be jet black in all but the best light,
it's the only one I've seen in the flesh and is 3 years old, so the newer green ones may actually be a brighter shade.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtjohn View Post
Hi guys.

So, how do these two colours compare in real life to the images on Emerald's website?
Thanks...XT.
Honestly it really depends on the lighting. In room lighting the color can seem very subtle, but then it will really pop in sun-light.

In the picture below I am holding my brother-in-law's X-20 which is RED. Tom is holding my X-07. In the pic you can barely tell it has a red tint to it. Only picture I have, didn't think to take one in the sun.

Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music

Last edited by AZLiberty; 03-07-2017 at 09:12 PM.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
Honestly it really depends on the lighting. In room lighting the color can seem very subtle, but then it will really pop in sun-light.

In the picture below I am holding my brother-in-law's X-20 which is RED. Tom is holding my X-07. In the pic you can barely tell it has a red tint to it. Only picture I have, didn't think to take one in the sun.

[img=1088x816]http://i.imgur.com/rpaqa7F.jpg[/img]
Here ya go...

A bit large, but it shows both guitars.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Here ya go...

A bit large, but it shows both guitars.
Yeah, I was messing with the BBcode to try to change the picture size down, but apparently neither IMG=xx% or IMG=HxW code are working on this forum.

Old 03-08-2017, 04:18 PM

Having never seen an Emerald in the flesh, maybe I should not comment. In pictures with strong direct lighting, the color really shines through and adds a nice element to the CF weave. In most light conditions, the color is probably rather subtle. Just speculation on my part. In on-line photos, all of the colors seem quite nice. The color really pops when a light veneer is used underneath.

I want a Chimaera double neck 6/12 and I keep going back and forth between Artisan (green) or Opus (black only). A pickup is unnecessary since my gigging days are likely over, so I would end up paying considerably extra just for the color and an unused pickup. There would also be a delivery delay of several months for the custom Artisan build, versus an Opus version that is normally in stock.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:19 PM
Guest 928

Earl;

I think you are a wise man. I've gone with the ruby red, but it's more a matter of personal vanity than musical value. Under some lighting the red shows nicely. In my eyes, it always shows. But the reality is the Emerald colorations are subtle; the guitars, however, are not. I have found Emerald guitars to sound about as good as it gets--everything else is cake.

I like cake. If I can get Alistair to make my electric guitar it will have the ultimate in cake, a woody face unmatched in guitar history.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:38 PM

I have the Amber.....my favorite color of them all.

Taylor 424ce SL
Emerald X20 purple weave
Emerald X20 gold weave
Taylor NS34ce
Taylor T5X
Composite Acoustic OX Raw (Peavey)
Rainsong OM
Breedlove Pro C25/CRH
Prestige Eclipse Spruce/Mahogany
Voyage Air VAOM-1C (2)
Baden D style Mahogany
Journey Instruments Spruce/Mahogany
Journey Instruments OF660
Recording King ROA-9 Bakersfield Limited
Mogabi 200
Old 03-08-2017, 08:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoloff View Post
I have the Amber.....my favorite color of them all.
The Blue ones sound better. Seriously, I think all the colors are very nice.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
A pickup is unnecessary since my gigging days are likely over, so I would end up paying considerably extra just for the color and an unused pickup.
I believe they have a "pickup delete" option which deletes the pickup and drops the price appropriately.

When I order mine I will be selecting the Amber.

Old 03-08-2017, 11:09 PM
Charter Member

It was a conundrum for me... I was considering an X20 Artisan woody, but I really wanted the black back and sides. Since the Opus is black only, and black is one of the colors available on the Artisan... well, it kinda seemed like not getting something for the money if I ordered black.

Then, the February Select Series came out: glossy black sides and back and that absolutely gorgeous louro preto wood veneer... I was immediately hooked! I think the black with this particular wood is very rich looking. Exactly what I was looking for! I can see with one of the color enhanced woods, a matching color back and sides is also very sharp.

The nice thing about picking the color you want: there are no wrong choices.

Decisions, decisions.
Old 03-09-2017, 03:33 AM
Guest 1478

Thanks for the help guys. It was a hard decision as they all look so good.
Well, I bit the bullet and have ordered an X20 Artisan in RED with Crystal Ice on the sides & back of the body as well as on the back & sides of the headstock. I also added an Anthem pickup. A woody would be amazing but Trudy & I are half way through building our home so at the moment there are more important pieces of wood to be bought!

Now comes the wait....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber