The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick guard View Post
The answer is simple, the majority of people prefer wood over plastic for a slew of reasons.
Well the depth of that argument has completely swayed the forum.....

Taylor 424ce SL
Emerald X20 purple weave
Emerald X20 gold weave
Taylor NS34ce
Taylor T5X
Composite Acoustic OX Raw (Peavey)
Rainsong OM
Breedlove Pro C25/CRH
Prestige Eclipse Spruce/Mahogany
Voyage Air VAOM-1C (2)
Baden D style Mahogany
Journey Instruments Spruce/Mahogany
Journey Instruments OF660
Recording King ROA-9 Bakersfield Limited
Mogabi 200
Old 12-10-2014, 10:33 PM

Interesting thread. I am new to the carbon guitar world. Or my newest guitar is carbon.... and carbon guitars are kind of new. Wooden guitars are old and the technique of building wooden guitars is old and involves varying degrees of modernization. Wooden guitars age and improve sonically with age... that's what we have been told. the more they are played the more they open up. Carbon guitars will be what they are forever ? How do we know that ? They are still babies. Young musicians ,the last I heard , don't start out well compensated for their efforts. So used is usually a good place to start. If you're a Clapton fan...Martin, Sheryl... well a Gibson... Swifty....a Taylor. Musicians if anything are traditional radicals. Music itself is tradition is it not. Look at all the reliced guitars . the vintage look. I got a bunch of old doors my boys have put their elbows through and the dog chewed up. I am all geared up to make some Willie replicas. That guitar killed more weed than roundup.

I love my wooden guitars .... I love my carbon guitar. I like playing different guitars. I prefer one guitar more depending on how my fingers decide. I couldn't play a carbon guitar before buying. No dealer anywhere near me. Talked to Ted and Michael. Read what the Captain has said as well . When I play it friends go " what is that ? " . Including young players. Rainsong who makes Rainsong....never heard of em.

Carbon guitars are babies and they need to grow up and have babies of their own. Then these babies will be stronger and wiser. If you get my drift...there is a growing community appreciating this carbon change. If its popularity is to accelerate it will come from new young players . Keith Richards is not going to play a Rainsong in performance any time soon. Won't be a Taylor either. A lot of tradition ... we cling to the past to protect us from the future. Does not all music draw from the past ?
Old 12-11-2014, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampdigger View Post
. . . . . . A lot of tradition ... we cling to the past to protect us from the future. Does not all music draw from the past ?
Great summary statement.

This gets to the foundation of the worldview of those adamantly against alternative material guitars such as carbon fiber. Other arguments, regardless of what they may be, are formed in some way or another to bolster this worldview.

Traditions can be used to protect what is good from the past. But tradition, unfortunately, can also be used as crutch as well as a shield of protection against what we fear or don't understand. It helps those who are bewildered, when their tradition is challenged, to tightly hold on to a comfortable view of the world and their life as they have known it, and their belief that it should never change. No one likes discomfort--so we fight against it.

Each of us are susceptible to holding onto various different types of traditions for various reasons. Hopefully, when the basis for any tradition is carefully examined, the truth will be eventually be known as to whether that tradition has lasting value worth holding on to--or not.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:30 AM

Still thinking wood guitars sound and look better... Sory guys, I just simply donīt agree with the statement that any rainsong (same price) sounds better than a Martin D28. CF guitars (IN MY OPINION) donīt have a vey good dynamic range, and canīt be used to play percussive beats on their body (it just sounds odd).
Also, I donīt like their "wrinkles" (donīt know how else to call them, sorry but iīīm not a native english speaker), theyīre just not esthetic.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah View Post
...I just simply donīt agree with the statement that any rainsong (same price) sounds better than a Martin D28. CF guitars...
No one here said any such thing. To some one might sound better than the other, but to me, they simply sound different, both quite excellent in their own way.
Old 12-13-2014, 11:07 PM

That was a fun read.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
If these guitars are as good as we think they are why don't you see major artists playing them?
So if we were to ask people if they could have any guitar they wanted, money was no object, which guitar would they choose? Based upon the informal polling of folks here at AGF, the answer is a resounding, wood. People seem to simply prefer it.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=367875

Major artists are going to play whatever they choose and I suspect that they also choose wood more often than carbon fiber.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick guard View Post
So if we were to ask people if they could have any guitar they wanted, money was no object, which guitar would they choose? Based upon the informal polling of folks here at AGF, the answer is a resounding, wood. People seem to simply prefer it.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=367875

Major artists are going to play whatever they choose and I suspect that they also choose wood more often than carbon fiber.
Typical troll post. Your "poll" proved nothing other than what was to be expected, if given any guitar for free people would choose the most expensive one they can think of. What fool would chose a $2000 guitar when they can have a $50,000 Somogy?

I have an idea, start another poll asking people which car they would choose for free and lets see how many pick the car you drive. What do you drive pick?
Old 12-21-2014, 12:15 PM

I guess I don't really know what makes one a "major" artist. The amount of money they make at their art? The way people like to hear them play? I'm sure some of the "major" players might have a CF tucked away for times they want to use one. I'm too new to stringed instruments to appreciate some of the names and numbers of various wooden guitars. I picked up a guitar about a year ago and started lessons. Neither of my guitars even have a name on the outside of the guitar. (Wouldn't mean anything if it did.) I choose only by sound. One is a used tiny teres style (classical, nylon string kind) one of a kind. I've got short arms, short hands, etc. so it fits me and sounds nice and mellow. For clarity of notes, etc. I play a Blackbird Nylon Rider. For that one, I need to use a Child's Ergo-Play knee support but it's worth the effort. I guess what I'm trying to say, I think at some point folks will want the sound they are looking for from a guitar rather than the material, look and name.

Of course if someone was paying me big bucks to use their brand I'd probably quickly find it was my favorite.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:52 PM
Guest 213

I'm at a loss as to why anyone would make guitars a competition or care who else is playing them, whether you are comparing electrics to acoustics, acoustics to carbon fiber, Taylor to Martin, etc. Everyone has a particular set of expectations and purposes for their guitars. I wouldn't feel comfortable taking a $6000 wooden instrument to a gathering where children will be running around. I would take my RainSong there, though. Does that mean it is categorically better? No. If playing at my church for a music special, I'd choose a wooden guitar and mic it. Does that mean it's categorically better? No.
Old 12-21-2014, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceGuitars View Post
I'm at a loss as to why anyone would make guitars a competition or care who else is playing them, whether you are comparing electrics to acoustics, acoustics to carbon fiber, Taylor to Martin, etc. Everyone has a particular set of expectations and purposes for their guitars. I wouldn't feel comfortable taking a $6000 wooden instrument to a gathering where children will be running around. I would take my RainSong there, though. Does that mean it is categorically better? No. If playing at my church for a music special, I'd choose a wooden guitar and mic it. Does that mean it's categorically better? No.
Hi Jon,

One of the things I really appreciate about this Carbon Fiber sub-forum is the fact that it is populated with mostly open-minded people. Certainly not as much traffic as the main forum, but I see plenty of encouragement from the participants here. Fewer trolls, too - kinda makes them more obvious. Seems that many of us in this sub-forum have both CF and wood guitars, and can appreciate what each offers.

Years ago, I was a moderator on a sailing forum that involved plenty of testosterone. Even though it was mostly brand specific, some felt the need for everything to be a competition. It was a pretty thankless task moderating, but I learned a bunch.

One lesson learned when moderating that sailing forum: when someone got on there and felt the need to put another's choice down, it was usually due to...

* lack of understanding (Why do those boats - substitute guitars - cost so much? What does this different design bring to the table?)

* jealousy (Can't afford one, so I'll just put it down. Maybe the troll lost his girlfriend to a guy with an open mind and a better boat? Again, substitute guitar)

* insecurity (What if this design IS way better than what I have? Better to trash it than admit there is another option I didn't consider?)

I wouldn't get too worked up over someone that comes in with a chip on their shoulder. You can explain, they won't understand. They aren't looking to understand. It isn't a competition. There's room for all kinds of options here, and the right choice for one may not be right for all.

Back to the original premise here: you are right; it doesn't matter what anyone else plays. At some point, it is less about the guitar and more about the player. And the right instrument for that player's circumstances.

Happy Holidays,
Jim
Old 12-21-2014, 01:49 PM
Guest 213

Thanks, Jim. You are right, it usually boils down to lack of understanding or sour grapes.

Thankfully, I don't let it bother me, but I do find myself shaking my head in wonderment

Happy holidays to you as well!
Old 12-23-2014, 03:58 AM

I play one! Mind you, major artistes have link ups with manufacturers. Not flying at those giddy heights..

Yes, for Ģ2k I could have purchased no end of nice guitars. So I did. A Rainsong OM1000 N1 with LR Baggs Element tucked inside. As an acoustic, it has the volume, range and clarity to cut through folk clubs with background noise. Plugged in, it has the cleanness to allow me to blend in whatever mood I wish and playability? Well, Rainsong no longer do the wonderful N1 neck, so I might not buy another, as the neck feels more like an electric guitar, making the crossover between songs on stage all the easier.

By the way, just thought I'd mention it. If you complain you never get laid, buy a Rainsong. You know it makes sense! [emoji12]

Rainsong OM10 N1
Reiner 00
Eastman AC120CE
Alvarez ARD70e
Alvarez ABT60e
Custom Petit Bouche
Jim Harley Canadian Winter Dread'
Epiphone EJ200 SCE
Various banjos, bouzoukis, dulcimer etc
Old 12-23-2014, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

Hi Musket - welcome aboard. Not sure I've seen that benefit in any of RainSong's marketing. Perhaps another reason our recent troll gets so twisted up about CF guitars?

Although for full disclosure: the first gig I did after getting the RainSong, my wife said to me, "Don't let those young sexy girls throw themselves at you."

To which I replied: "I don't want some sexy girl, Honey, I want you!"

Kind of painful removing the guitar from my...

Old 12-23-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
To which I replied: "I don't want some sexy girl, Honey, I want you!"
How long did it take you to realize what you'd said?
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber