The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 05-06-2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottishrogue View Post
WOW!!! When I saw the photo, I groaned out loud!

The person that made those "marks" should be IN JAIL!!! That's how it starts...one or two tiny scratches, but it escalates!

While those gouges don't affect the sound, that guitar is psychologically damaged!!! What did that guitar ever do to deserve that kind of treatment?

I use a pick, and I have NEVER, EVER needed to attack with the force necessary to create that kind of damage.

A few weeks ago, I was watching the Zack Brown Band on the Jimmy Kimmel Show, and noticed he also was playing a classical guitar. I've ranted about this before, but someone has to speak up, if we want things to ever change. Anyway, back to my story. What really amazed me about Zack's performance is that his bridge was covered with "Duck" tape...RED!!! It seemed to be there because of bridge lift. I also noticed that he was using ball-end strings (probably steel), and the front of his guitar was so covered with deep gouges, where there would normally be a pick guard, it was just bare wood!!! Needless to say, his attack was ferocious!!!

I thought to myself, he should paint a sign on his forehead saying "I'm a big MORON!!!" He doesn't seem to know that when others see how he performs, they will think it's ok to destroy their guitar that way. Steel strings on a classical bridge is NOT ACCEPTABLE, and neither are DEEP GOUGES in the top. Is the guy trying to outdo Willie Nelson for ugliest guitar in the world?

I have several classical guitars, and have NEVER needed a pick for projection. If you want more projection, INSTALL A PICKUP and plug the thing into an amp!!! REPORT ABUSE!!!

Ok, I feel much better now.

Glen
lol... The seller has put up a couple new pictures (which was nice of him really, as I was asking him about the scratches). This
one in particular looks like a crack to me now:

EDIT: Also, on a 3000 dollar guitar, I would expect the grain to be a bit tighter than that? But, eh, what can I say. The loriente clarita I played was great, didn't really care about how the grain looked because it sounded just fine. The ramirez 125 and 130 I played had alot tighter grain, but the clarita was a great guitar. Now that I think about it, although I favored the sound of the 130 anos at the time, the clarita was probably the better guitar. So anyway, that is a crack, right? Are my eyes betraying me?

Last edited by toomanyknots; 05-06-2013 at 02:09 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:07 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanyknots View Post
I would say that's a good bet......

Old 05-06-2013, 02:25 PM

The seller just told me that there are no cracks in the guitar, although he could see why I would think that. It sure does look like a crack to me.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:32 PM

Jesus, there is more:

I was actually thinking of buying this guitar, but man, it has really been worked over nicely, hasn't it, . Check out the scratches in the fret board even.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:29 PM

Cool The top has "some scratches"...

While it certainly could be a crack, it might be just the finish, but that could be repaired if necessary, those ugly gouges made by a pick would be more difficult to hide.

As far as the grain, it does look strange, but it might be cedar, as the grain is a little wider. Hard to tell.
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”
Old 05-06-2013, 07:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottishrogue View Post
WOW!!! When I saw the photo, I groaned out loud!

The person that made those "marks" should be IN JAIL!!! That's how it starts...one or two tiny scratches, but it escalates!

While those gouges don't affect the sound, that guitar is psychologically damaged!!! What did that guitar ever do to deserve that kind of treatment?

I use a pick, and I have NEVER, EVER needed to attack with the force necessary to create that kind of damage.

A few weeks ago, I was watching the Zack Brown Band on the Jimmy Kimmel Show, and noticed he also was playing a classical guitar. I've ranted about this before, but someone has to speak up, if we want things to ever change. Anyway, back to my story. What really amazed me about Zack's performance is that his bridge was covered with "Duck" tape...RED!!! It seemed to be there because of bridge lift. I also noticed that he was using ball-end strings (probably steel), and the front of his guitar was so covered with deep gouges, where there would normally be a pick guard, it was just bare wood!!! Needless to say, his attack was ferocious!!!

I thought to myself, he should paint a sign on his forehead saying "I'm a big MORON!!!" He doesn't seem to know that when others see how he performs, they will think it's ok to destroy their guitar that way. Steel strings on a classical bridge is NOT ACCEPTABLE, and neither are DEEP GOUGES in the top. Is the guy trying to outdo Willie Nelson for ugliest guitar in the world?

I have several classical guitars, and have NEVER needed a pick for projection. If you want more projection, INSTALL A PICKUP and plug the thing into an amp!!! REPORT ABUSE!!!

Ok, I feel much better now.

Glen

I don't know what to say regarding Zack Brown, except that he's pretty hot property right now, working with some of the biggest names, playing guitar for a pretty good living. So he must not be TOO big of a "moron".

Regarding playing a nylon string with a pick, I've been doing so for many years. Even while I pursued my classical guitar degree, I would also take opportunities to play on classical with a pick.

Perhaps you'd like to take-up your issue with people playing nylon strings with a pick with these well-known (and respected) "morons"...

Al DiMeola (with Paco)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uac5RlAYNO0

Strunz & Farah...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2LTqf128SQ
Old 05-06-2013, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaddyT View Post
If you teach with a classical guitar, before you know it, some kid will pick it up and whale away on it with a pick. Doesn't take much to bump one up either.
they look like pick marks to me.

Quote:
lol... The seller has put up a couple new pictures (which was nice of him really, as I was asking him about the scratches). This
?
looks like a crack to me as well.

having written that, people can gouge up their guitars as much as they want, and then sell them accordingly.

Last edited by mc1; 05-06-2013 at 07:52 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:20 AM

Arg, the seller ended the auction 2 days before the end, I assume because be only got one bid. I didn't think he can do that if someone bids on it, unless the item is damaged or something. I was probably going to bid on this, but I guess not anymore. He messaged me that he would sell it to me for 800.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:49 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Arg, the seller ended the auction 2 days before the end, I assume because be only got one bid. I didn't think he can do that if someone bids on it, unless the item is damaged or something. I was probably going to bid on this, but I guess not anymore. He messaged me that he would sell it to me for 800.
As a seller you can end your auction any time you want - you just have to cancel the bids first.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
As a seller you can end your auction any time you want - you just have to cancel the bids first.
I doubt be cancelled the bid, the message said "This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available." And then he promptly messaged me seeing if I would take 800 for it, so obviously it is still available. I guess I can give him some slack, as he apparently never sold anything on ebay before, but it is still annoying when a seller does this. I hate when sellers do this, just set a reserve and be done with it, instead of dicking around honest bidders.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:20 AM

it was relisted and sold for $570.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/161022191543?...84.m1423.l2661
Old 05-07-2013, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
ARG, totally would have bought it!
Old 05-07-2013, 07:28 AM

Quote:
ARG, totally would have bought it!
i thought the listing and pictures were too vague to take a chance on. i was burned once on a "it's scratched up but wait until you hear it" guitar with somewhat fuzzy pictures. took over $700 plus shipping to get it back into shape. sometimes i think the lack of description/disclosure and poor pictures are more intentional than neglectful.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:34 AM

Quote:
i thought the listing and pictures were too vague to take a chance on. i was burned once on a "it's scratched up but wait until you hear it" guitar with somewhat fuzzy pictures. took over $700 plus shipping to get it back into shape. sometimes i think the lack of description/disclosure and poor pictures are more intentional than neglectful.
Maybe, it did look like a crack to me in the picture, which the seller said it was not. I totally would of bought it for the sound and playability though if it was in ok condition otherwise. lol darnit, I was gonna snipe the crap outta this auction.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:39 AM

Quote:
How did you find the completed listing? I tried searching completed listings on ebay.com and ebay.ca and couldn't find nothing?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical