The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

View Poll Results: A Carbon Guitar For You In 2010? In 2010:
I will buy ANOTHER carbon guitar. 45 24.19%
I will buy my FIRST carbon guitar. 25 13.44%
I intend to get more information on and try to audition my first carbon guitar. 45 24.19%
I have NO interest in carbon guitars because guitars should be made of wood only! 71 38.17%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-01-2010, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

Default A Carbon Guitar For You In 2010?

Hi Folks,

Hi Folks,

I'm curious, as others may be too, about the current state of carbon guitar (aka graphite guitar) acceptance and awareness amongst guitarists. The current best-known makers of carbon guitars are: RainSong, Composite Acoustics, BlackBird and Emerald. Please take my poll and we'll see how far carbon guitars have come in guitarists' appreciation of their tone, durability and minimal-care characteristics. Thanks!

PLEASE READ BEFORE VOTING!

To try and make up for my non-inclusive improper wording of the first survey choice, I would like to ask all the folks who currently OWN a carbon guitar to vote in the survey for the first survey choice:

>>>>>I will buy ANOTHER carbon guitar.<<<<<

I'm planning on running this Carbon Guitar Survey every year at this time to see if there is greater general acceptance and ownership of these guitars as the years pass. Next year my survey choice for those who own or will buy another carbon guitar will read:

I already OWN or will buy ANOTHER carbon guitar.

Thanks!

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 01-02-2010 at 06:39 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:04 AM

A Rainsong WOULD be great, but above my income.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:08 AM

The ones I have played or heard tend to have this harsh, metallic edge to the sound which I do not care for. No CF for me yet.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:16 AM

I voted to get more info and try one out. We don't have any at our local shops so I can't try one. I'd love to have one but if it came down to paying that much for a CF I think I'd go with a solid wood model ... unless I was going to work in a remote area up north, i.e. in the arctic circle.

I have three CA's: an OX, Legacy and GX.

Your poll doesn't include "I'm happy with the carbons I have and don't plan to make any changes in 2010," but if it did, I would have checked that one.

Guitars are made out of wood!

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 01-01-2010, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FingerPlucked View Post
I have three CA's: an OX, Legacy and GX.

Your poll doesn't include "I'm happy with the carbons I have and don't plan to make any changes in 2010," but if it did, I would have checked that one.
Hi FingerPlucked,

You're right! I should have included that category. I guess I assumed, with a full year ahead of us, that current owners of carbon guitars would most likely end up buying another one, either as an addition to their current lot, or as an acquisition to replace one that may get sold or traded. This is my first poll on AGF and I don't think I can go back and alter the choices once a poll is published.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 01-01-2010, 10:29 AM

I've thought about looking in to them because I live on the coast of MS (high humidity), and we routinely go to the barrier islands on the weekend. I've always wanted to take my guitar.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:39 AM

I have not even finished my first purchase (MacNichols is fine tuning the Legacy Raw I purchased a couple of weeks ago), and I'm gassing for a CA GX raw.

But this time I will want to try one out in person first. Can't afford a GX Gloss but want to make sure the Raw versions sounds like the higher priced model.

JackL
Old 01-01-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Hi Folks,

I'm curious, as others may be too, about the current state of carbon guitar (aka graphite guitar) acceptance and awareness amongst guitarists. The current best-known makers of carbon guitars are: RainSong, Composite Acoustics, BlackBird and Emerald. Please take my poll and we'll see how far carbon guitars have come in guitarists' appreciation of their tone, durability and minimal-care characteristics. Thanks!

Regards,

SpruceTop
As a long-time Steinberger (graphite electric) owner, and demo-guy at NAMM for them, I have no problem with the tech, especially on electric. So .. no bias here about that.

I bought a Cargo as they first appeared on the market, and have never liked any number of things about it, and I can't see a cure for it's ailments. Yeah, it's an OK travel guitar but I think that last idiot that landed in Detroit and tried to blow up his plane will effectively do away with plane travel with guitars and many other things so that is moot.

Having one, I can't imagine getting another CF acoustic. I have played many others in the CA and Rainsong line and none of these hit me as having good sounds. I'd be thrilled if I could get a tiny shadow or slimline Mag PU on this thing and just gig with it. Piezo's don't do it for this.

I couldn't make a choice in your poll because nothing up there says, I have one, and it is likely the last one I'll ever have. I think I'll get rid of it this year.

As for the state of Carbon Acoustics, I think it's close, but no cigar but as a niche instrument it is fine, and I'm just guessing it'll be a long time before they're past the acoustic sound plateau they've currently reached.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

My CA GXi is on the way if UPS will ever get it here LA. Funny, I can get a watch overnight from the Pacific Rim but not a guitar from the west coast in a resonable time frame?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 01-01-2010, 11:16 AM

Everyone knows that fine, classical acoustic instruments are made of wood. For instance, who would think that "real musicians" with a refined appreciation for tone, timbre, projection and all the other minutia attached to great instruments would ever think of using some unnatural, manufactured product to produce an instrument even worth our time to investigate.

Oh, then there is this; www.luisandclark.com

But, what does Yo Yo Ma know about it, anyway...
Old 01-01-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoney View Post
Everyone knows that fine, classical acoustic instruments are made of wood. For instance, who would think that "real musicians" with a refined appreciation for tone, timbre, projection and all the other minutia attached to great instruments would ever think of using some unnatural, manufactured product to produce an instrument even worth our time to investigate.

Oh, then there is this; www.luisandclark.com

But, what does Yo Yo Ma know about it, anyway...
Yeah, what does Yo Yo know? ;) This reminds me that in grade school I borrowed instruments for band, all of which were at that time, made of stamped sheet metal (steel I think). I had at various times, a bass, a cello, and I think one Viola. They were, to me, great sounding. Maybe this was a "Detroit in the age of cars" phenomena. A city with too much sheet metal.

Recently I played a big bass from China made of some 'resin' / plastic, and it was terrific sounding. I don't know why but the bowed instruments do seem to do well with other materials.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
Guitars are made out of wood!
Rich, trees are made of wood. Everything else is optional.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papol View Post
Yeah, what does Yo Yo know? This reminds me that in grade school I borrowed instruments for band, all of which were at that time, made of stamped sheet metal (steel I think). I had at various times, a bass, a cello, and I think one Viola. They were, to me, great sounding. Maybe this was a "Detroit in the age of cars" phenomena. A city with too much sheet metal..
LOL!

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber