The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-25-2009, 07:16 PM

Default guitar lesson dvds

I was wanting to know if anyone had any input on acoustic guitar instructional dvds. I know you can find pretty much anything you want online these days but it is kind of a pain to look up things all the time so I would prefer to just have a lesson that I pop into the DVD player and roll on. Also I know this is an acoustic forum but I am sure somebody out there plays some speed stuff. My nephew love the speed metal stuff. And I was wondering if anyone new of a good speed metal DVD also. Thanks for the help.

2008 Cocobolo GA LTD Koa binding
2008 214ce
2004 Seagull S6
Old 08-25-2009, 07:40 PM

What are you trying to learn?
Old 08-25-2009, 07:50 PM

You need Leo Kottke's "Six Steps to Speed Metal". I will bring a free copy by your house at 3am; please wait by the street.

sorry
Old 08-25-2009, 08:21 PM

Troy Stetina, Paul Gilbert....etc.

There's lots of shredding video out there. Scope out samples on youtube and go from there.....
Old 08-26-2009, 08:18 AM
Charter Member

My public library has an excellent collection of DVDs that you can check out for 2 weeks at a time, and if you really like it you can usually get it for an extra 2 weeks when the first 2 are up. I've been able to check out stuff by Stephan Grossman, John Fahey, Martin Simpson........

Maybe I'm just lucky that my local library has them. Might be worth a look to see if they are available where you live. If not, if you bug them long enough they may be accomodating.

Tim
Old 08-26-2009, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisbeeman View Post
I was wanting to know if anyone had any input on acoustic guitar instructional dvds. I know you can find pretty much anything you want online these days but it is kind of a pain to look up things all the time so I would prefer to just have a lesson that I pop into the DVD player and roll on. Also I know this is an acoustic forum but I am sure somebody out there plays some speed stuff. My nephew love the speed metal stuff. And I was wondering if anyone new of a good speed metal DVD also. Thanks for the help.
Hi Lewis...
Three sources are:
Homespun Tapes - click (so much more than tapes-thousands of DVDs)

Acoustic Music Resource - click (dozens of fingerstyle lesson DVDs and dangerous to my wallet)

And Netflix. Netflix has an amazing amount of lessons on DVD for 'rent' (use) by their subscribers...dozens of them.

In addition, Mark Hanson's accent on music dot com has a lot too...

Hanon's site - click - 5 great DVDs

Hope this helps...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write