The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-06-2008, 09:55 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongwriterFan View Post
Yep. This little guitar literally blows away guitars like the Baby Taylor and Little Martin. And I think it sounds as good (and even better) than many GC/GA-sized guitars.

The only negative (other than the ridiculously oversized gig bag that comes with it) I can think of would be that some might not like the really short scale.

I, on the other hand, love the really short scale and the 1-3/4" nut.

The size is great . . . I can literally sit in my computer chair (with arms) and pick up this guitar and play it without any issues at all.

And I drove around Nasvhille all week with this thing in my rental car, never worried about the heat/cold/rain/humidity/etc.
Ditto again. Oddly, the short scale doesn't bother me on the Cargo, but it did on the Baby Taylor. I find myself playing more these days, not because the Cargo is new or a novelty, but because it stands beside my sofa/recliner at arms reach (out of the case, not worried about humidity) and because of the small size, light weight and the back body contours, it is super comfortable. Even though the BT was small, it wasn't anywhere near as comfortable. I also like to play high on the neck, and the cutaways (including the one on the back at the neck base because there is no neck block), allows easy access to the entire neck. Can you tell I LOVE this guitar!
Old 04-07-2008, 01:23 AM

Default For sale at an outdoorsman's store!

Sorry if anyone else has already posted this, but ... for those looking for these guitars ... they are selling them at ... wait for it ... Cascade Outfitters, a whitewater rafting store. No idea about availability, but they are listed on their website.

https://www.cascadeoutfitters.com/in...2321/index.cfm

No foolin'!

I own a guitar.

Last edited by TjthePhD; 04-07-2008 at 01:25 AM. Reason: repeated a word, needlessly
Old 04-07-2008, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjthePhD View Post
Sorry if anyone else has already posted this, but ... for those looking for these guitars ... they are selling them at ... wait for it ... Cascade Outfitters, a whitewater rafting store. No idea about availability, but they are listed on their website.

No foolin'!

Makes sense to me. If you got a cargo with no electronics and had coated strings on it, it could handle the boat capsizing without a problem. The perfect guitar for canoeing trips too.

There's was some video around a while ago where CA had their guitar set up at a show like one of those fountains where water runs down the rocks. The guitar was full of water, but the guitar and the Elixir strings were just fine.

You void your warranty if you use it the guitar as a "pool float"...so if the boat capsizing do NOT cling to you guitar for dear life. Have your lifejacket on and go save your guitar!
Old 04-07-2008, 09:38 PM
"Big Daddy"

So how many of us are going to run out and buy one of these Cargo guitars.
I heard from Composite Acoustics that those things are really selling fast!
It looks like they are already getting a great reputation for being the "perfect goes anywhere" guitar!
Old 04-07-2008, 09:48 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckejoel View Post
It looks like they are already getting a great reputation for being the "perfect goes anywhere" guitar!
IMO, the reputation is rightly deserved. With my Cargo and XM2GO satellite radio with speaker docking system on my sailboat this summer, I'll be in music heaven. I'm excited about the freedom that the small size, great sound and playability, and not having to worry about adverse environmental affects, will afford taking the Cargo on the most bizarre of adventures in the great outdoors!

I'm not an "early adopter" by nature, but I may be the first in Canada to have a Cargo!
Old 04-07-2008, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckejoel View Post
Nah, everybody already blew their travel-guitar cash on "Way Out West" guitars ...

I own a guitar.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:03 AM
*mahoganut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjthePhD View Post

No foolin'!

Thanks for the lead... I'm curious too. Not your "normal" product for a river outfitter - but then again I've seen Martin Backpackers in the strangest catalogs. I don't know how Cascade is doing moving the Cargos but I sent them a note and will let you know if they really do have some in stock.

rr

Paragon RW/Macassar Ebony Baritone
Rainsong S OM1100-N2
Woolson LS RW/30s African mahogany LG 12
Baranik LS RW/"tree" mahogany OO
Baranik Blue Spruce/"tree" mahogany OM
Boswell RW/koa OO
Baranik Retreux Parlour Adi/Pumaquiro
Baranik Blue Spruce/Coco Meridian "Geo"
Baranik Blue Spruce/Kingwood OO
Woolson T13 RW/Walnut SIG
Old 04-11-2008, 07:42 AM

Cascade doesn't have them in stock yet. They said CA told them that their stock will be done by the end of May, but I wouldn't take that as a guarantee.

I ordered one from Cascade--they've still got the $100-lower price up, despite everyone else raising theirs.
So I ordered from them. Hopefully, the Cargo will be the guitar that finally makes CA as huge as they should be.

I've owned three Composite Acoustics total since 2003. Right now I own a Vintage Performer, which is the best one I've owned yet.

By the way, their new site went up literally a minute ago.

Last edited by tommyld; 04-11-2008 at 07:46 AM. Reason: more info
Old 04-11-2008, 07:47 AM

NEw website for CA guitars is up... I posted in another thread as well

http://www.caguitars.com

"Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason has once accepted, in spite of your changing moods." C.S. Lewis

http://soundclick.com/nj1969
Old 04-11-2008, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyld View Post
Cascade doesn't have them in stock yet. They said CA told them that their stock will be done by the end of May, but I wouldn't take that as a guarantee.

I ordered one from Cascade--they've still got the $100-lower price up, despite everyone else raising theirs.
So I ordered from them. Hopefully, the Cargo will be the guitar that finally makes CA as huge as they should be.
Did you figure out how to order the electronics option from them?
Old 04-11-2008, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Franklin View Post
Did you figure out how to order the electronics option from them?
I'm assuming you'd have to email them--they've been very quick to answer my emails. Since they're expecting their stock at the end of May, I'm thinking they might have to special order one with the electronics option.
Then they might realize that everyone else upped their prices by $100...but it'd be worth a try.

I might have gone with the electronics for mine, but the $xxx price tag was too good to pass up...I convinced myself that I wouldn't need/want electronics in my portable guitar. (I'm so excited to finally have a portable CA on the way!!)
I've got my Vintage Performer with electronics. When I record my Cargo, I'll just mic it for a better sound. If I decide to use it live, I'll mic it for indoor use...

Who knows, maybe I'll decide to try to stick my arm in there and put a piezo in it! (yeah right! Maybe I can hire a child or a very coordinated baby to help install a pickup.)

Last edited by rlouie; 04-19-2009 at 07:01 AM. Reason: np price discussion rule
Old 04-11-2008, 10:20 AM

Heck, if all of the AGF folks start buying from them, maybe I should ask them for a commission ...

I figured they weren't in stock yet, given the fact that all of the big guitar shops were still waiting for more stock.

I own a guitar.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:24 PM

Whoa, somebody got a Cargo for $xxx?? They're $xxx now! I missed out. Edit: Just checked the site to make sure, and yep, $xxx at Cascade now. I'll stick with macnichols.com.

I haven't decided if I want electronics or not. It would be pretty cool... Great gigging guitar, probably sounds as good plugged in as anything else does... But I feel like electronics would diminish its toughness. And I can't afford the extra $100. It's a good thing my Legacy was cheaper back in the day when I bought it (they've gone WAY up in price). I have always kind of wished I'd gotten electronics on it, truthfully... These days, people look at me funny when I mic my guitar. **** kids.

TJ, you're from ND? I am too!

Another edit: Wow, just realized this thread is from a YEAR ago. Jeez. Is anyone still here? Or are you guys talking about Cargos and/or CA Guitars in another thread?

I personally am about peeing my pants. I really, really want to get one. Now, not later. But, it will be later. If they were still xxx, it might be now! They've improved the gig bag with this year's model, but it's not a $300 improvement I don't think. And as they're xxx, I just can't swing it yet unless I sell my Westerly, RI 2000 Guild D55. (!)

Darn it... I know CA Guitars gives discounts to musicians who they think will advertise for them. Heh... I linked them to my myspace music page and wrote them a nice, long e-mail about how much I love my 2004 Legacy Vintage, but they haven't replied. Come on, CA, help a college student out!

Oh well. Would love to hear more from you guys, though. Even if I can't have mine for a while, I still dream about it every day, and I like hearing about how great they are.

Last edited by Darrel; 04-18-2009 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Sorry, no price discussions allowed.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:07 AM
Charter Member

I talked to MacNichol guitars yesterday. He gave me a deal on a blue RT cargo for $XXX FLAT WITH electronics. AMAZING DEAL. He has a red one left that he will make for the same deal. Shipping is on him, and he sends a free set of strings in the gig bag. Splendid man to deal with. PM me if you would like to know the price.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:37 AM

Location: Carson City, Nv (Want a jackrabbit? We've got extras!)

I own one in the wine "Road Tough" finish. It's a great travel guitar. It has respectable tonal character for what is basically a short scale parlor. It's sort of like an calm OM in it's projection. The balance is very good. The tone is bright and a bit compressed. The playability is excellent.

I just love not having to worry about humidity or dings. I dig the modern look, too. It's a great couch-noodle guitar.

I hope your Cargo turns out to be a good fit for you.

In the night you hide from the madman
You're longing to be
But it all comes out on the inside
Eventually

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber