The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-25-2009, 08:54 PM

Default Teaching resources for chords, scales, technique?

Was hoping someone out there could suggest a website or DVD series that gives a solid technical base of scales, chords, fingerings, etc.

Not looking necessarily for a stylistic focus, just the dry, old school chops and music theory stuff as related to guitar.

Its for my son and I'm looking for something to supplement the fingerstyle - song learning stuff he's learning.

I don't want to force him to do the classical thing, which I did (piano), so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. He's eleven by the way and is pretty motivated. His name is David and he really caught the fever this summer after we drove 3 hours to see his first concert which featured his sole guitar hero Phil Keaggy.

I don't think I've ever seen him so excited, it was funny as he was calling the song titles off to me after hearing a few notes.

Thanks for any help,

Last edited by raregroove; 08-25-2009 at 09:02 PM.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:07 PM

sorry,

I think I should have posted this thread in the "Play" forum.

Can a mod help move this?
Old 08-25-2009, 10:48 PM

Done. Happy to help!

There are tons of good resources on Youtube for beginning guitarists these days. In fact, so much so that selecting the best from the not-the-best can be a chore. Still, it's free and readily available.

Glad to hear that David is so excited about learning to play. He certainly has chosen a worthy hero in Phil Keaggy. Hey, why not contact him and ask what he thinks would be the most help to David right now. He may not answer, of course, but you never know. He's a great guy in addition to being a very talented, creative player. If he has the time, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he didn't take time to help. Worth a shot, anyway.

Don't shy away from classical. Learning it's techniques early on can be a tremendous advantage later, even if David never intends to become a classical guitarist.

Keep us informed, will you, on his progress.

cotten
Old 08-25-2009, 11:32 PM

Well if you are searching for web-based learner material then I suspect it won't take you long to stumble on Justin Sandercoe's site.

http://www.justinguitar.com/

It is excellent (IMHO). There's a ton a material covering the real basics (how to hold the guitar) through chords, scales, theory and song lessons.

Really nice guy too. Works on an honor system - pay if you can afford to. He sells DVDs of the material too. I've donated money his way on a few occasions.

Paul.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:37 AM

Check out the links in my signature....
Old 08-26-2009, 09:48 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Just what I was looking for.

AG community is awesome.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:05 AM

Also a recommend for Justin!
Old 08-26-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul84 View Post
Well if you are searching for web-based learner material then I suspect it won't take you long to stumble on Justin Sandercoe's site.

http://www.justinguitar.com/

It is excellent (IMHO). There's a ton a material covering the real basics (how to hold the guitar) through chords, scales, theory and song lessons.

Really nice guy too. Works on an honor system - pay if you can afford to. He sells DVDs of the material too. I've donated money his way on a few occasions.

Paul.
A +1 for Justins site. He's one heck of a nice guy with all he's put up and shared. I have some of his stuff and will order more. His lessons are incredible.

raregroove, good luck is wished for you and your son. You have a wondeful young man there, to get so interested at such a young age. I hope he takes his time and progresses well to enjoy what this music has to give.

You must be a "real dad" to give him as much as you do. He's lucky.

I wish you and he the best.

Jeremy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write