The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-18-2011, 10:03 PM

Default Another Performance Question

Please provide me with some honest opinions. I have played before with a violin and cello player providing rhythym for classical to eclectic stuff, and as a singer/ rhythym player in an R&B outfit. Bottom line is I have never been much of a lead player.

I am now looking to go out as a solo performer doing solo acoustic guitar and vocal stuff (Taylor, Simon,Croce,Beatles, Young, etc). I can sing and do fingerpicked and strummed arrangements; however, I am looking to eliminate or drastically reduce the actual lead lines to streamline and avoid flubbing up the tunes. Is it possible to do this and get away with it? I question whether bar or coffee house crowds have to hear it, "exactly like the record", or simply want to hear songs that are familiar/popular.

Again, thank you. This forum seems to have tons of experience and wisdom in the performance area.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiopicker View Post
Please provide me with some honest opinions. I have played before with a violin and cello player providing rhythym for classical to eclectic stuff, and as a singer/ rhythym player in an R&B outfit. Bottom line is I have never been much of a lead player.

I am now looking to go out as a solo performer doing solo acoustic guitar and vocal stuff (Taylor, Simon,Croce,Beatles, Young, etc). I can sing and do fingerpicked and strummed arrangements; however, I am looking to eliminate or drastically reduce the actual lead lines to streamline and avoid flubbing up the tunes. Is it possible to do this and get away with it? I question whether bar or coffee house crowds have to hear it, "exactly like the record", or simply want to hear songs that are familiar/popular.

Again, thank you. This forum seems to have tons of experience and wisdom in the performance area.
Audiences won't expect a solo performer to copy a recording exactly if it was made by a band originally! Simplified acoustic arrangements should be fine.
Of course, you shouldn't choose songs in which a lead guitar solo is a crucial part of the song. Choose songs which can be well translated to a single guitar.
Eg, if choosing Hotel California, you can play the intro well enough on one guitar - and strum or pick the rest of the song - but not the lengthy outro solo. And no audience will expect you to. They'll be happy enough to hear a song they know, and will probably even appreciate hearing an unusual solo arrangement of it, as long as you don't change the tune, or add anything.

Some Beatles songs could be quite tricky, because of interlocking guitar parts (riffs and chords). Eg, I wouldn't pick the rockier ones with distinctive riffs, like I Feel Fine or Day Tripper: the riffs are an important part of each song, and hard to incorporate smoothily into a solo acoustic arrangement. (Hard, but maybe not impossible...)
Good Beatles songs to pick would be ones with a strong acoustic flavour in the original, such as In My Life, If I Fell, and of course Blackbird or Julia.
James Taylor, Paul Simon and Neil Young, of course, all have huge numbers of tunes ideally suited to a solo singer-guitarist.

I think any audience would be impressed if you COULD play a tune exactly like the original, but as long as you sing and play well (and use a good proportion of well-known songs), they'll appreciate it. After all, put yourself in their position. What do you enjoy or expect from a solo singer-guitarist in a bar or coffee house?
(OK, some performers use backing tracks to get a band sound, but I doubt you want to go that route. In my experience you don't get any more appreciation - unless perhaps people want to dance, and bass and drum tracks will help there.)

Depending on the crowd, I'd try and incorporate some more modern songs too. The artists you mention are all 60s or 70s. That will appeal to a certain age group, but younger crowds might not recognise some of those, and will appreciate something newer. But keep it varied - a few originals or more obscure numbers can have their place among the well-known covers. Most of the crowd will treat you as background anyway.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:32 AM

I do it all the time and don't think it's something you have to "get away with". When playing the type of music you mention (which is the same type I do), the audience is going to focus more on the singing and melody than anything else. Given the choice between an excellently skilled guitarist with an average voice and an excellent singer with average guitar skills, the audience will overwhelmingly like the good singer better. Unless the lead line is really important (Daytripper by the Beatles for example), not only is it not really missed, but it's tough to make it work as a solo performer. I'll give you an example: Brown Eyed Girl by Van Morrison is a song I do and it has a pretty recognizable intro lick. I skip it completely and just play a few intro chords and start singing quickly and I think it works fine.

This of course is my humble opinion and works for me but YMMV. And FWIW, there are songs I've been playing for many, many years that I will hear on the radio and think "wow, I don't really do it like the record at all".

Good luck
Old 06-19-2011, 06:12 AM

sorry for the double post!!

I do it all the time and don't think it's something you have to "get away with". When playing the type of music you mention (which is the same type I do), the audience is going to focus more on the singing and melody than anything else. Given the choice between an excellently skilled guitarist with an average voice and an excellent singer with average guitar skills, the audience will overwhelmingly like the good singer better. Unless the lead line is really important (Daytripper by the Beatles for example), not only is it not really missed, but it's tough to make it work as a solo performer. I'll give you an example: Brown Eyed Girl by Van Morrison is a song I do and it has a pretty recognizable intro lick. I skip it completely and just play a few intro chords and start singing quickly and I think it works fine.

This of course is my humble opinion and works for me but YMMV. And FWIW, there are songs I've been playing for many, many years that I will hear on the radio and think "wow, I don't really do it like the record at all".

Good luck
Old 06-20-2011, 07:54 PM

Default A Performance Question

Thank you for your replies. I knew i would get some sage advice here!

Old 06-20-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicland View Post
sorry for the double post!!

Good luck
So I guess one question is...how do you get some singing chops
Old 06-20-2011, 10:19 PM

It has been my experience that crowds are very receptive to hearing a song that they know and love being completely redone. It creates a real connection between you and your audience because there is a subconscious familiarity to the chords and melody and so they begin to look your way. There is usually (and very clearly) a palpable look on their face that says, "I know this... where do I know this from?"

Of course, when the chorus hits (and particularly with a song that has a big or very memorable chorus) you can watch their faces light up with recognition. As a performer, these are some of my favorite moments.

I'll admit a particular affinity/affection for taking really, really, really popular, bordering on kitschy, pop songs and completely wreaking havoc on arrangements, styles, etc. Britney Spears' "Toxic" became a bluesy stomp, Gnarls Barkley's "Crazy" became a nasty half-time thing and I've begun playing Kesha's "Tik Tok" on mandolin. It becomes a talking point during breaks or after sets and gives everyone (myself included) something to really have fun with. Of course, this doesn't always work. Sometimes, you'll just have a dour audience. But when it works, it's memorable.

Good luck!
Old 06-21-2011, 05:58 AM
Charter Member

Something I added a few years back to replace the lead lines is a rack-mounted harmonica. I am by no means a great harp player, but I found it very easy to play melody lines by ear to add some color to certain songs. Just get a few different keys to play along with your guitar parts where the solo would be, it is really a nice change of pace and it also helps stretch out the sets so you don't have to play as many songs. Plus, it's a lot of fun.

I can't tell you how many times people have approached me during breaks and asked how long I 'studied' harmonica or if I give lessons. Sheesh, all I'm really doing is breathing in and out into the darn thing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write