The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-21-2018, 12:52 PM

Default Traveling through the US of A whilst playing guitar - advise please

Howdy!

I'm a Dutchie and for the past few months I've been busking in the city where I live, The Hague, and It's awesome. All the nice comments, thumbs up and so fort are great so I thought of taking it to the next level...

My gear is an Admira Maria/Martin DM/Fender strat(I play classical music,
film music and instrumental pieces) not sure which one Ill bring) with an iRig acoustic stage and a yamaha thr5a - guess Ill have to upgrade the amp when I'm in the USa, but thats something for later. And I will bring a couple of shirts, one pair of jeans, couple of boxers etc. I will just buy everything on location so minimal travel gear.

I want to begin my 'adventure' after the summer here, so I guess I will start my travels on september first or something(also depends on how fast I can get a visum) and I would like to start in New York and then follow the sun basically.

Which cities(must be buskable) would you advise me for my travel south? Should I just stick to the coast line? Everything doable by train? Same goes for the west coast when spring starts hitting and I'm going up north.

I'm thinking of taking out a year for it. Is this realistic or should I take longer? I've saved up about €22k, which is about $26k. I assume I'll also earn money busking so that should be enough, me thinks(?), because I'm doing everything low budget.

Sleeping wise I assume hostels are the cheapest?

Any rules regarding busking? Or is it free for all and gentleman rules?

I guess I have more questions and all that, but that will come later when I read the comments and think about it some more :P

Thanks in advance!

I will upload videos on a regular basis; enjoy
Old 05-21-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bickb View Post
Howdy!

I'm a Dutchie and for the past few months I've been busking in the city where I live, The Hague, and It's awesome. All the nice comments, thumbs up and so fort are great so I thought of taking it to the next level...

My gear is an Admira Maria/Martin DM/Fender strat(I play classical music,
film music and instrumental pieces) not sure which one Ill bring) with an iRig acoustic stage and a yamaha thr5a - guess Ill have to upgrade the amp when I'm in the USa, but thats something for later. And I will bring a couple of shirts, one pair of jeans, couple of boxers etc. I will just buy everything on location so minimal travel gear.

I want to begin my 'adventure' after the summer here, so I guess I will start my travels on september first or something(also depends on how fast I can get a visum) and I would like to start in New York and then follow the sun basically.

Which cities(must be buskable) would you advise me for my travel south? Should I just stick to the coast line? Everything doable by train? Same goes for the west coast when spring starts hitting and I'm going up north.

I'm thinking of taking out a year for it. Is this realistic or should I take longer? I've saved up about €22k, which is about $26k. I assume I'll also earn money busking so that should be enough, me thinks(?), because I'm doing everything low budget.

Sleeping wise I assume hostels are the cheapest?

Any rules regarding busking? Or is it free for all and gentleman rules?

I guess I have more questions and all that, but that will come later when I read the comments and think about it some more :P

Thanks in advance!
Sadly, public transportation is no where near as comprehensive as it is in Europe. You should have a look at the Amtrack website to see where they go.

I don't know about other cities, but here in Seattle people register for the prime busking spots due to the competition. For example: http://pikeplacemarket.org/permits-applications

Not sure about other spots.

Hope this helps.

TW
Old 05-21-2018, 01:16 PM
Charter Member

Hi bickb,

Sounds like quite an adventure you have planned!

Our train service tends to be expensive, and more limited as you get away from the coast. You might want to investigate bus service as well.

I don't know much about busking, but it does seem to be regulated, especially in the larger cities. You might want to inquire at the nearest police station about any rules or permits you will need. I"m pretty sure you are going to need some sort of permission to play on the street legally in New York City.

Wishing you well, and hoping you enjoy the ride!
Old 05-21-2018, 01:19 PM

The United States doesn't have hostels. You should consider AirBnB for a place to stay.

Because we are so spread out, our train/transportation system is not comparable to Europe. Many of the major cities have a train system, but that is not useful for getting from city to city. You'll need to take an Amtrak train (which is a lousy system), or a Greyhound bus (also a lousy system). However, if you're in no particular hurry, they both work ok.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

This may help with accommodations. Hostels are not as prevalent here but apparently there are some.

http://www.hostels.com/usa
Old 05-21-2018, 01:24 PM

Amtrak can be slow but is generally safe, & enjoyable if you get a window seat.

Bus stations tend to be located in areas that are, ahem, "questionable".

Last edited by frankmcr; 05-21-2018 at 02:03 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:28 PM

If I was planning on going to a foreign country for up to a year, and planning to play a lot outside, I would probably get a carbon fiber guitar so I could relax about what condition the guitar will be in after that year.

In fact, even just doing regional touring in a lot of areas would make me think of how to reduce the impact of wide swings in temperature and humidity.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 05-21-2018, 01:38 PM

Thanks for all the comments, guys! I'll respond tommorow - I'm in dire need of some rest at the moment!

I will upload videos on a regular basis; enjoy
Old 05-21-2018, 01:49 PM

If you're busking, earning money, doesn't that count as working? Could this be a visa issue?
Old 05-21-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silurian View Post
If you're busking, earning money, doesn't that count as working? Could this be a visa issue?
Not trying to rain on any parade, but busking in the big east coast cities is going to be a whole bunch of issues.

rct
Old 05-21-2018, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rct View Post
Not trying to rain on any parade, but busking in the big east coast cities is going to be a whole bunch of issues.

rct
Even the land of opportunity is also a land of bureaucracy.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:09 PM

Default busking

We are not so regulated here as you may expect. What hold true in one city may not apply to another. For some you need permits, in some you can't do it, and others, you can pretty much do as you wish.

Hostels, BnBs tend to be the cheaper places to stay. Lodging costs vary wildly form one place to the next and from season to season.

Be aware that after September, it can get pretty cold outdoors in some of our areas, especially the northernmost cities. In the central section, you may be able to play outside through October and in the southern-most parts only January and February are too cold to play outdoors.

There are some indoor places to play and they vary in how hospitable they are to buskers. Farmer's Markets, malls, train and bus stations come to mind. But not government buildings. Certain cities have more music than other - Boston, NYC, Austin, Nashville, New Orleans come to mind - I don't spend time in cites unless I can't avoid it, so I cannot be a good guide to that.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silurian View Post
While entering the US with musical equipment, immigration/border officer very probably will ask about the purpose of the visit, and can deny entering the US. Work permit is necessary for this and it must be obtained before entering the country -- hardly realistic.

Only 'organized' musicians (who perform at festivals, concerts, etc.) can get permission to work in the US. For busking, hardly possible.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:17 PM

As others have noted, inter-city transportation in the U.S. is not at all comparable to what you are used to in Europe. It is less frequent, the routes and destinations served are far more limited, and it is expensive.

Hostels are uncommon in the U.S., and inexpensive lodging in cities and towns of any size are almost always going to be located in higher-crime and poorer environments where the yield from busking could reasonably be expected to be pretty much nothing.

The legality and practicality of busking varies widely and will be affected by local ordinances, local tolerance, and your ability to distinguish between public and private property. It is sometimes seen essentially as panhandling/begging with a musical soundtrack, and you can anticipate the range of reactions that implies.

It might be prudent to plan out your transportation, and to work out a reasonably detailed budget for food, lodging, and getting around before deciding whether or not this is a practical ambition. I wouldn't plan on any specific income from busking to offset your anticipated expenses, as it's just too hard to tell how much money you'll make in different locations, in different kinds of weather, over the course of a year.

Be sure, too, that you have medical insurance which will cover unanticipated dental and general health needs and emergencies. Health care in the U.S. is generally both high quality and expensive.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:24 PM

I second the suggestion of a carbon fibre guitar. Traveling in the U.S. in September you'll encounter weather that could easily range from extremes of cool and dry to hot and wet with humidity likely to vary from 25% to 95% depending on latitude. Unlike wooden instruments a carbon fibre guitar will be a no worries companion.

On a personal note, there is a music themed hostel in Tampa with ties to the local music scene there with which I am familiar. It is notably musician friendly and affordable. If you plan on making Florida a part of your tour you might want to consider a stay there. Here's a link with some info: http://www.hostels.com/hostels/tampa...rtyAnchor=p807

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion