The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post
I think the culture is at fault. There is no other explanation. Now, what parts of the culture are at fault is subject to debate, but for sure it's the culture we live in.
Well in the very general sense that virtually everything is part of the culture then sure... But in terms of specifics media attention is part of the culture and is part of the problem because copycat behavior is very much a reality of youth .
You really don't think that the young especially, can be subject to copy cat behavior? Ever notice how young people dress ? You really believe that baggie jeans worn 1/2 way to or below the butt cheeks, or a baseball cap turned sideways or backwards is because it's comfortable or efficient use of the item ?

Sorry I just don't buy the over hyped simplistic "nobody loses any more is the problem" etc. And do not see it as being even a remotely realistic major problem or offering insight into a possible solution . I think it is a distraction.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 05-19-2018 at 05:08 PM.
Old 05-19-2018, 03:49 PM

Last edited by RedJoker; 05-19-2018 at 05:16 PM.
Old 05-19-2018, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

It’s complicated and I make no claims to know the fix. But it seems like focusing on symptoms (like “soft” schools) might provide necessary short term relief, leaving the root problem to move along to the next “soft” target. Maybe playgrounds or supermarkets will be next.
Old 05-19-2018, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

Please stay away from politics.
Old 05-19-2018, 05:50 PM

I've heard people blame these events on automatic weapons...if I recall correctly, this kid used a shotgun and a .38 handgun.. probably the most commonly owned guns for hunting and self defense...

I'm reluctant to say it, but I don't believe there IS an "answer" or "solution"...

You can not PREVENT a madman from committing a heinous crime at a random time and place of his choice, with whatever weapons he chooses...you can only deal with the aftermath...

There is a sickness, a disconnection from humanity , in our society that has caused this horrific behavior to breed as quickly as it has in recent years, and I fear greatly for my grandchildren's future...
Old 05-19-2018, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

Let's see lets try ignoring the obvious and blame it on any and everything else. Oh I'm sorry that's already been done and it's not solving anything. Okay then let's starting over by ignoring the obvious again. It's a simple equation a + b = xxx.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 05-19-2018, 08:17 PM

This topic saddens me greatly. I believe there are perhaps two major factors which contribute to these tragedies. Culture and the other I cannot name due to excellent forum guidelines. My belief is supported by the fact this tragedy is human caused and predominantly centred in one greographic area of the planet. There is no quick or easy fix, presently there is not even general agreement on the major factors which contribute to this tragedy, or apparently, the will to address it. I hear many words, but I see little action outside of large protests. Why not look around and see how other cultures have successfully managed the ingredients so the recipe does not create these tragedies. Adjust the recipe as needed for the best results in America. Easier said than done I know, but there is no time to waste, there are school children dying in America.

Larrivee, LV-03E Sitka/Peruvian Walnut
Bourgeois, Dreadnaught DB Signature, Italian Spruce/Madagascar Rosewood
Old 05-19-2018, 09:11 PM

All I can say is that mass stabbings are much much harder to pull off.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post
All I can say is that mass stabbings are much much harder to pull off.
Shouldn't the discussion be about why these things happen, not how? What has changed in the last 25 years? Why now? Why not 40 years ago? Something is different. When, why and how did kids get the idea that killing is ok?
Old 05-19-2018, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Shouldn't the discussion be about why these things happen, not how? What has changed in the last 25 years? Why now? Why not 40 years ago? Something is different. When, why and how did kids get the idea that killing is ok?
I read an article a while back that said they really sincerely believe a lot of this is to do with violent video games that these kids play all day long and become desensitized to killing. Many of these games when you get someone in your sites they say finish him finish him kill him kill him. one interview with a teenager who was tired of being bullied and shot people his quote was I wanted to kill them for the way they humiliate me every day but I didn’t want them to die. You know, like in XYZ game.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:37 PM

Has there been any info released concerning his family life or lack thereof? It seems like more often than not these kids who commit these kind of heinous crimes have serious “family issues” with a common denominator of no father around or a father who is not “fathering.”
Old 05-20-2018, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Trying to treat the 'how' and 'why' in isolation from each other is, IMO, mistaken. What appears to be common in many of these events is some degree of mental and/or emotional disturbance, the 'why'. But what also appears to be common is a disturbing fetishisation of the 'how'.

The 'why' are treated rightly as issues that need to corrected. But the fetishisation of the 'how' appears in some respects to be accepted in the wider culture.

Last edited by Silurian; 05-20-2018 at 01:18 AM.
Old 05-20-2018, 04:52 AM

No comments or prayers can abate the tragedy, treat the wounds or otherwise make better the event.
Old 05-20-2018, 06:25 AM

It happens because we allow it to happen, and it's disgusting.

No other country has this problem, stop pretending...........

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)

Last edited by Kerbie; 05-20-2018 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Politics
Old 05-20-2018, 06:55 AM

There's no easy solution. I think there are several factors to blame.
Our culture is up front and in your face. Everyone seems to want to be louder and up front. I've seen the transition the last 30 years, starting in sports and entertainment and emulated by the general public.
The social media claims to connect people, but in reality it disconnects them. Without face to face contact you don't really see and feel the emotions like you would if the person was there in front of you. Kids don't really learn to interact in person and work things out.
The violent games kids play definitely discount the value of life. The random killing on a screen doesn't hit home like it does in person.
Kids too often get used to instant gratification. If they don't get their way initially, a tantrum or outburst (vocally or physically) many times will get them what they want.
Generally people just need to learn to respect life and others. Quit taking everything so personal. Like I said, no quick and easy answers. Emotional Knee-jerk responses are what's causing the problem. They aren't likely to be the solution either. Just my thoughts. I hear yours too, that's ok.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic