The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-14-2018, 12:35 AM

Default Gun Question

Please, let's make sure this doesn't get turned into a pro/anti gun argument or a spat about the meaning of the second amendment. Thanks.

Does anyone here have any experience/opinions about Walther PPQ .45 or Walther Creed 9mm pistols?

My son recently bought a Walther PPS M2 9mm and, though it's quite small, it's a fun pistol to shoot at the range and would be very good for CCW, if one were so inclined. I've put about 100 rounds down range with it and was quite impressed.

It's got me interested in perhaps getting a Walther primarily for target shooting but the PPS is smaller than I'd like. I've read many good things about both the PPQ 45 and the Creed (which is significantly less expensive than most Walthers).

So, anyone have any feeling about either one? Oh...one of the reasons I'm looking at the 45 is because I enjoy shooting 1911s and the Walther is smaller, lighter, and less complicated than most of the 1911s I've used. Just a preference.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 05-14-2018, 04:38 AM

I love Walthers. They are all well made and accurate. The older metal frame models are exquisite. I have a P5 that is innovative, accurate, finely made, and still just fun to shoot. Only new generation Walther I have is a P22 that I added target barrel and red dot sight to. For info on the newest models, you might visit the Walther Forum.

Wanted a P5 in the 80's when they came out but couldn't afford one. They were one of the most expensive handguns, if not the most expensive, on the US market. Few years ago I bought one that was West German Police surplus. Some finish wear, but had barely been shot. Even got the issue West German holster which is the most complicated and cumbersome holster ever designed. West German cops must be able to call a "time out" when they need to deploy their sidearms.

Old 05-14-2018, 05:26 AM

I've seen people use PPQ in IPSC and IPSC-style practice - and the pistol wasn't holding those guys back. A thread on a local forum has people who have had some issues, too - but show me a product that never has any issues....

Can you get one in your hands before you buy? I know that some pistols are too bulky for my hands. I think the PPQ has different grip inserts for different hands, though. For my target shooting, I'd probably choose between a CZ Tactical Sports Orange, or a 5" pistol from STI. That CZ model does not come in .45, though, I think. These would be a little on the large side for concealed carry, if that is a consideration.

I think older PPQ models have a mag release lever that you push down with the index finger. Recent ones have a "normal" button. The "weird" lever - or the shooter operating it - was a little disconcerting when I was acting as Range Officer / Timer Holder at an IPSC practice session, the other day.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 05-14-2018, 06:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
Please, let's make sure this doesn't get turned into a pro/anti gun argument or a spat about the meaning of the second amendment. Thanks.

Does anyone here have any experience/opinions about Walther PPQ .45 or Walther Creed 9mm pistols?

My son recently bought a Walther PPS M2 9mm and, though it's quite small, it's a fun pistol to shoot at the range and would be very good for CCW, if one were so inclined. I've put about 100 rounds down range with it and was quite impressed.

It's got me interested in perhaps getting a Walther primarily for target shooting but the PPS is smaller than I'd like. I've read many good things about both the PPQ 45 and the Creed (which is significantly less expensive than most Walthers).

So, anyone have any feeling about either one? Oh...one of the reasons I'm looking at the 45 is because I enjoy shooting 1911s and the Walther is smaller, lighter, and less complicated than most of the 1911s I've used. Just a preference.
I believe the only possible down side to purchasing a Walther is, you are required to take speech lessons to develop a Scottish accent.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 05-14-2018, 08:23 AM

I've no personal experience with either of those pistols, but I do have experience with a YouTuber named "Nutnfancy".

He is the real deal. I consider his word on outdoorsy products to be as good as gold. He is not sponsored, gets no kickbacks for positive reviews, and has an unbesmirched reputation.

He has a (very) thorough review of the Creed, where he compares it to the PPQ as well as several other competitive offerings in that segment. You might wanna take a look.

https://youtu.be/Z3DslOvcSYs
Old 05-14-2018, 09:13 AM
Guest 1928

I haven't shot one, but they feel a little top heavy to me. (That's true for a lot current models and brands.) I like the gun to sit as low as reasonably possible.
Based on experience with other Walthers I can't imagine quality or function being much of a problem. The stock trigger is pretty good from what I hear, but again, I've not had the chance to shoot one. If you can handle one and you like the feel, I don't think there's much to worry about otherwise.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

I don't view guns like I do guitars, I really don't enjoy shooting and only go to the range to keep up my skills should they be required. I've shot Walthers, HKs etc but can't get worked up about them, and always think of the saying, "Kimbers are what you show your friends, Glocks are what you show your enemies." My EDC is a G26 but go to an LCP when a smaller profile is called for.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
I haven't shot one, but they feel a little top heavy to me. (That's true for a lot current models and brands.) I like the gun to sit as low as reasonably possible.
Too bad I didn't have time to handle the other guys' pistols on Saturday. There was a Walther there. My Glock is also a plastic gun but its frame and grip design puts the whole thing pretty low into my hand. I've handled a number of different Glocks and they all had different trigger feels. Maybe they were made different back when I got mine, or maybe it is just luck that mine has an OK trigger. It is not a particularly light trigger, but mine is about as "crisp" as a stock Glock trigger ever gets.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:49 PM

Years ago when I shot regularly I had a CZ85 Combat. Stainless, 9mm. Fairly simple and never jammed or miss fired. You were never going to carry it concealed as it was big and heavy but accurate and dependable.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 05-14-2018, 05:39 PM
Charter Member

I love Wathers. I have all sorts of Walthers.

But...my favorite by far is my P99 AS 9mm. It's my daily carry gun. Fits my hand like no other gun I've ever shot. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/768637689

Take a look at this model. I like it so much more than the PPQ, and Creed.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:41 PM

The PPQ has about the best trigger, out of the box, in the industry. I got my hands on one used to sell for a guy and the trigger was sublime. I called Walther and asked if this was normal and they said that it is the only Walther that uses that trigger. I would put it in my entire line. Great shooting gun.
Old 05-15-2018, 01:47 AM

Anyone wanting to carry would be much better off with a 2 oz can of FOX 5.3 ( Million SHU ) Tested a Can ( CONE type , not Stream ) other day Went Out 20 Feet about 100 MPH , This was 100 Feet away in the back yard with NO WIND . We ran back to his Front garage ... About 2 minutes later we began choking like crazy . i got in the truck and took off, found a couple dead squirrels today , dont know if they were involved , BUT IT Will be FAR MORE effective than a GUN With less legal issues to deal with and alot lighter . Made a 10 FOOT orange Cloud 20 + Feet away . Anyone hit with this stuff is instantly DONE for HOURS . It is NOT your Cheap Walmart Mace . $20 2 oz . Horrible horrible stuff...Check out you Tube . I do have a dozen guns but dont wanna have to use them .
Old 05-15-2018, 06:40 AM

Cone is not the OC to carry. Almost guaranteed to effect the user as well as the intended target. Use stream to target your intended and then move to avoid blow-back. Fox is indeed a quality product.

Added: The PPQ is certainly not what I would consider for a CCW. It is great for instructing with due to its smooth, easy trigger. However, it is too bulky for an optimum carry pistol. Think thinner & lighter.

Last edited by DenverSteve; 05-15-2018 at 06:49 AM.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderTrap View Post
Anyone wanting to carry would be much better off with a 2 oz can of FOX 5.3 ( Million SHU ) ...
OP mentioned target shooting. A spray can is not much good for that.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:41 AM

Another thought, because the OP mentioned a 45 PPQ vs 9mm Creed:

Definitely consider the price difference in ammunition and how much you suspect you'll go plinking. 45 ammo is a lot more expensive. Probably not a big deal if you only fire 100 rounds a year, but at 100 rounds per week it adds up really fast.

I've nothing against 9mm, but I sure do love a 45...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic