The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 05:58 AM
Charter Member

Default "Free Range Parenting" is Illegal????

Admittedly I'm an old fart who grew up under different standards, but I was aghast when I heard a news report this morning on the illegality of "free range parenting." Some areas are actually drawing up laws to make it legal to let kids walk to the park. Are you kidding?

This is such a foreign concept to me since I grew up in the suburbs of Philadelphia and from an early age moved about independently: walked six blocks to elementary school, took the bus and subway into Center City (Philadelphia) before bar mitzvah age, rode my bicycle or walked everywhere I wanted to go. This whole parent=chauffeur concept is alien to me.

Believe me, I know the dangers out there; but am still blown away that parents have actually been charged with letting elementary school age kids walk to school and the park. O temperes, o mores....
Martin 000-15sm
Old 05-09-2018, 07:00 AM

It's a different world.
I live in a small 'city' (~50K). The school buses literally stop at every block/cross-street to pick up kids - no more '1 stop for the whole neighborhood'. And one never sees kids younger than 12 alone waiting for the bus without at least one adult there.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 05-09-2018, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Admittedly I'm an old fart who grew up under different standards, but I was aghast when I heard a news report this morning on the illegality of "free range parenting." Some areas are actually drawing up laws to make it legal to let kids walk to the park. Are you kidding?

This is such a foreign concept to me since I grew up in the suburbs of Philadelphia and from an early age moved about independently: walked six blocks to elementary school, took the bus and subway into Center City (Philadelphia) before bar mitzvah age, rode my bicycle or walked everywhere I wanted to go. This whole parent=chauffeur concept is alien to me.

Believe me, I know the dangers out there; but am still blown away that parents have actually been charged with letting elementary school age kids walk to school and the park. O temperes, o mores....
I did not catch that news but have insights via our move from a deteriorating neighborhood to a good one. Also my wife teaches a category of kids where a significant percentage are not in ideal circumstances.

In some places local ordinances are just to help specific problems. We have feral kids by modern standards. No one's given us a citation for kids who do a lot on their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
It's a different world.
I live in a small 'city' (~50K). The school buses literally stop at every block/cross-street to pick up kids - no more '1 stop for the whole neighborhood'. And one never sees kids younger than 12 alone waiting for the bus without at least one adult there.
I'm a late age parent but noticed others including relatives with their kids as far back as the 80s and 90s.

How many bus stops is really simple in most cases. It's how much do you want to pay. More and more there have been state laws that limit cities' ability to tax so as an example mine cut down bus stops and increased fees for sports so the district can still be a top performer in other areas such as academics and facilities.

Except for the growing news that phones in cars is a danger, crime is not as bad but TV watchers get a lot of emotive stuff to let them think it is.

We limited our kids going on their own when two very busy roads were involved but middle school on we've let them walk or bike. They have to when they screw up and are late. To me the risk seems worth it. My kids are independent and not stupid fearful the way many are.

Finally, go to city hall if you don't like the ordinances. I do that several times a year. You'd be surprised by how much influence you can have at the local government level.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:30 AM

Exclamation "Mom, Going to go outside"

This is not a *Brave New World*...
Old 05-09-2018, 11:32 AM

it is ok for chickens!

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 05-09-2018, 01:09 PM

Every day, I walked several blocks and took the city bus to & from school.

If I screwed up or one of my sports practices ran late & I didn't want to wait for the next bus; I walked the 10 miles home.

My mom's rule during the summer was "get out of the house & go play someplace. Just make sure you are home when the street lights turn on".
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 05-09-2018, 01:21 PM

Times HAVE changed. But, mostly WE have changed. I'm a parent of young children. There is a much greater awareness on the part of parents about the dangers lurking around "every corner" be it physical, societal, economic, emotional, health, environmental, or simply from predators. This awareness has caused a great deal of overreaction for sure. But, many parents feel it is better to be "safe than sorry." I would hesitate to criticize another parent who is trying to do their best today. It's not easy.
Old 05-09-2018, 01:43 PM

I have to wonder what effect a "free range" childhood (as compared to a more cloistered one) has on the development of a human being...

What differences can we expect from this newer style of childhood, as these people mature into adult citizens of society?
Old 05-09-2018, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
I have to wonder what effect a "free range" childhood (as compared to a more cloistered one) has on the development of a human being...

What differences can we expect from this newer style of childhood, as these people mature into adult citizens of society?
As a parent, this is also my biggest concern. I had pretty much unfettered autonomy by the time I was 12 or 13...within reason. My parents had no idea where I was for most of the day in the summer or on weekends as long as my chores were finished. I know it instilled in me a since of self sufficiency that I still have today.

Looking back, I now realize I didn't know enough to be afraid to try anything. Some of the things I did back then, I would have major second thoughts about doing now. I didn't know enough to project out what the scary consequences might have been.

I was lucky, but I also believe you can create some of your own luck with sheer confidence in your abilities.

I don't want my 15 yr. old daughter growing up to be a "fraidy cat" or over dependent on us or always looking to someone else to take the lead.
Old 05-09-2018, 02:12 PM

My mom's line was "go (outside) and find something to do or I'll find something for you." I called her on it once. She had me on my knees stripping and waxing the kitchen/dining room floor. From then on I took the hint. When I would run out the door after lunch the line was "Be back by dinner time." On Summer evenings it was, "Be home before the streetlights come on." I had a bicycle. I thought nothing of pedaling the nearly 5 miles to the public library. 3 miles to the swimming pool. 1 1/2 miles to the nearest convenience store. Free range parenting indeed.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 05-09-2018, 02:26 PM

Fear Fear Fear!

Freak lighting strikes and random asteroids happen too, so kids should NEVER go outside.

As a kid I rode my bikes miles and miles away from the house.
I loved exploring.
Old 05-09-2018, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post
Every day, I walked several blocks and took the city bus to & from school.

If I screwed up or one of my sports practices ran late & I didn't want to wait for the next bus; I walked the 10 miles home.

My mom's rule during the summer was "get out of the house & go play someplace. Just make sure you are home when the street lights turn on".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyghthawk View Post
My mom's line was "go (outside) and find something to do or I'll find something for you." I called her on it once. She had me on my knees stripping and waxing the kitchen/dining room floor. From then on I took the hint. When I would run out the door after lunch the line was "Be back by dinner time." On Summer evenings it was, "Be home before the streetlights come on." I had a bicycle. I thought nothing of pedaling the nearly 5 miles to the public library. 3 miles to the swimming pool. 1 1/2 miles to the nearest convenience store. Free range parenting indeed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by architype View Post
...I had pretty much unfettered autonomy by the time I was 12 or 13...within reason. My parents had no idea where I was for most of the day in the summer or on weekends as long as my chores were finished. I know it instilled in me a since of self sufficiency that I still have today....

These are also the worlds in which I spent my formative years...
Martin 000-15sm
Old 05-09-2018, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

You know what we DO live in a different world now - a SAFER world

The fact is, we live in a safer world now.

All the data and all the statistics very clearly support the fact that this is the safest time in American history. All violent crimes are at the lowest (per capita) rate in history.

And, on top of that, people are more connected and safer with cell phones and video cameras than ever before.

Any such thing is sheer insanity and borne entirely from hyped media and hysteria-mongering.

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 05-09-2018, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

it is a sad commentar on the world today. As a pre teen and early teens I used to skate board to school, 2 miles there and 2 miles back every day through the streets of Coney Island.. We would hang out at the beach or vacant lots and it was never an issue.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 05-09-2018, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
... Any such thing is sheer insanity and borne entirely from hyped media and hysteria-mongering.
+1

They know exactly what they're doing.
Fear is one of the post powerful of human emotions.

A scared society is an easily controlled and manipulated society.

Last edited by Tico; 05-09-2018 at 02:47 PM.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic