The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-19-2018, 10:53 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default If You Like SciFi -- Watch "The Expanse"

It starts out kind of slow for the first 5 episodes - world building and all that. But towards the end of the 1st season, the story really kicks in and doesn't let up. Season 3 has just begun and it seems to be continuing along an excellent path. Definitely check this series out if you like science fiction.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:06 PM

Ok I did give it like 3 episodes and it was way too slow for me. I gotta start over again since that was quite some time ago.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:34 PM
AGF Sponsor

I almost gave up as well. About midway through the 1st season things start coming together a little bit. Season 2 was absolutely incredible and the pacing is great. My brother gave up on the series as well after the first few episodes. I held on just because the reviews were very positive - I'm glad I did. This is probably one of my favorite TV shows of all time. Right up there with Breaking Bad and Justified, IMO.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Fay View Post
I almost gave up as well. About midway through the 1st season things start coming together a little bit. Season 2 was absolutely incredible and the pacing is great. My brother gave up on the series as well after the first few episodes. I held on just because the reviews were very positive - I'm glad I did. This is probably one of my favorite TV shows of all time. Right up there with Breaking Bad and Justified, IMO.

Well great...gonna give it another shot. As if I don’t follow enough tv series yet. [emoji23]
Old 04-20-2018, 01:51 AM

I watched the first few episodes and then picked up the first book. Then I kept reading the books and found I preferred them to the show. YMMV

Rainsong Shorty SG
Rainsong P12T
All the Martins, Gibsons, and others are gone.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:30 AM

I almost hate starting to watch new science fiction shows on tv - just when they get good, the ratings tank and they cancel the show!

Watching 'The Crossing' right now, bet it doesn't last through season 2, unless they start getting better/more action.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 04-20-2018, 08:07 AM

I really tried to like this show—heck, I'll watch pretty much anything with Shohreh Aghdashloo—but after five episodes, I just couldn't keep my eyes open.

Now you tell me that it finally got good after that! Rats!

I just finished my second watching of Rectify (quite possibly the most sublime American TV show ever), and season 4 of Bosch (my favorite show still airing), and I've been looking for something new. Looks like The Expanse is back on the menu, boys.
• AGF-only discounts
Free Shipping + Free Returns
Shoreline Rewards
Videos
• Guitars from Taylor | Mcilroy | Larrivee
• Stage gear from K&K | Fire-Eye

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/07...s/namm_x_6.jpg
Old 04-20-2018, 09:15 AM

Somebody wake me up when the entire series comes to a halt, and tell me then whether it was a great one to watch.

My wife and I have been through so many frustrating ongoing series that she instituted a hard-and-fast rule for our house: NO starting any new series unless it has a defined starting AND stopping point. Think I'm kidding? I'm STILL waiting for Game of Thrones to officially end so I can start watching it.

Dirk
Old 04-20-2018, 09:45 AM
AGF Sponsor

Yep, Bosch is another one of my favorites. I just binge watched Season 4 last weekend - no regrets I haven't heard of Rectify, I'll have to check it out.

For those of you on the fence, please give it a chance. If you don't get hooked by the end of Season 1, then I'll build you a guitar for free.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Fay View Post
Okay, as a big fan of Breaking Bad, Justified and Bosch you've got me interested. If it's of comparable quality to those series I need to check it out. Where is it that one can find "The Expanse"?

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 04-20-2018, 10:33 AM

Awesome. Thanks! Just finished season one of Lost In Space and was looking for a mother quality sci-fi series. If it’s anywhere as good as BB or Justified I’m all in. Thanks!
Old 04-20-2018, 10:43 AM

I just finished season 2 and now have to wait for season three. I agree that it took awhile for me to understand everything but I eventually enjoyed it enough to keep going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkronk View Post
I'm STILL waiting for Game of Thrones to officially end so I can start watching it.
I hear such good things about Game of Thrones but that's one I couldn't get through the first episode or two. On the other hand, that's probably OK because I don't actually have access to it. Without cable or the HBO add-on, it's just not available to me. (I borrowed the first DVD of season one to try it out.)
Old 04-20-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
I hear such good things about Game of Thrones but that's one I couldn't get through the first episode or two.
There's practically a cult following at my office. During each season, one guy records the latest episode, brings it in on thumb drive or whatever, and a group gathers at lunchtime on Monday to watch together on the conference room TV screen.

Breaking Bad was actually one of the series that caused annoyance to my wife and me: we watched the very first short "season" (just a few episodes...the primary character hadn't gone through treatment, so still had hair). We didn't see the appeal. Then season two hit, got rave reviews, and for several years we get comments from friends who think it's the best ongoing series EVER. Go figure.

Dirk
Old 04-20-2018, 01:12 PM

Thanks for the tip. Added to my Amazon watchlist.
Old 04-20-2018, 03:00 PM

I enjoyed both seasons quite a bit, but I'll wait until I can stream it free before I watch season 3
Taylor GS Mini-e Spruce/Rosewood
Waterloo WL-S
Wechter TO-8418

Cordoba 24T tenor ukulele
Kanile'a Islander MST-4 tenor ukulele
Kiwaya KTC-1 concert ukulele
Kolohe concert ukulele
Mainland Mahogany soprano ukulele
Ohana SK-28 soprano ukulele
Brüko No. 6 soprano ukulele

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic