The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-19-2018, 04:02 PM

I guess I'm a little slow, I don't quite get it. If I wanted something to be private, I would never have put it on the internet in the first place.
Yamaha FG 410A
Cordoba Acero D9ce
Old 04-23-2018, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

I deactivated mine almost 3 months ago. One of the best decisions I’ve made since I signed up. I got really sucked in when the Mrs. got a second pt( also ate a lot of meatball subs and watched tv with my cat). It got so bad when she was around we both had our lives dictated by it. In a fit of desperation I cut off all social media. With exception of guitar forums, shopping, cooking apps and the usual fare( weather, YouTube, etc.) I’m pretty much hands free.
Fender RW Flea Jazz
Squier Sonic Pbass
Acoustic 30 watt Bass Amp
Ampeg 20watt bass amp
all sorts of guitar picks, capos and bits n' bobs.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbraker View Post
I deactivated mine almost 3 months ago. One of the best decisions I’ve made since I signed up. I got really sucked in when the Mrs. got a second pt( also ate a lot of meatball subs and watched tv with my cat). It got so bad when she was around we both had our lives dictated by it. In a fit of desperation I cut off all social media. With exception of guitar forums, shopping, cooking apps and the usual fare( weather, YouTube, etc.) I’m pretty much hands free.
Yeah, I think when you first get on FB you think, “Hey, this is a pretty cool way to stay in touch with everyone!” Then after a while, and the “while” depends on the individual, I think people start to get annoyed by it and begin the process of forsaking it all together after realizing they don’t really WANT to stay in touch with everybody after seeing the umpteenth image of some “friend” in his latest selfie or ranting and raving about God knows what. The final straw for me was when I logged onto FB one Saturday morning and saw 7 different images of what seven different “friends” were having for breakfast. I mean come on, really? That was it for me.
Old 04-24-2018, 06:26 AM

My problem with Facebook is more immediate; it's ruining real life relationships. Every night I sit on the couch next to my wife, whose nose is always pointed a some device and is more connected to it than me. The silence is deafening. Granted, it's the only way that she can keep in touch with her parents who moved away a decade ago - but that's a whole 'nother ball o' wax.
Old 04-24-2018, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Anybody Delete Your Facebook Account?
Years ago!

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 04-24-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadcutter View Post
Just read where 10% of FB users have deleted their accounts because of the recent data privacy issues.
I have not seen that figure but it sounds wildly optimistic to me. Regardless, I have not deleted mine but my wife has and she spent very little time on it prior to deleting. I am on it less than 10 minutes/day, probably closest to 5.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:06 PM

I don't have a lot of FB 'friends' compared to some people (<100) but I don't have any less either since this fiasco & they all appear to be active so I'd say 0% of those have deleted their accounts.

Martin D-28
Maton EA808 Australian
Maton EBG808 Performer
Cole Clark FL2-12
Suzuki Kiso J200
Old 04-25-2018, 04:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
it's the only way that she can keep in touch with her parents
No offence ment here but having similar situations, as many do, I have concluded that there isn't much of a relationship through keeping in touch on Facebook. In fact it ends up feeling a little more tragic. Often people post their media life image on social media and that is an engineered addiction.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 04-25-2018, 12:24 PM

Facebook is just another means of communication for the human race. AS we communicate more we advance as a civilization and a species. I know people will immediately react to that and say what usefulness is there to "communication" on Facebook.

When the telephone was first invented many people felt it was unnecessary. Party lines and operators made sure there was no privacy, but over time the technology evolved and laws were passed to ensure privacy. Now who would question its use.

Same thing when email came along. I remember in the mid 80's trying to convince upper management at my company to install email. It was a hard sell. Many refused to use it for many years. Now who would consider living without it.

Then text messages came along, same issues. Facebook is just another means of connecting with people, it will evolve, laws will be passed to control and improve it.

That said, I use Facebook with all its warts, I don't care about the privacy concerns, but then I don't live in an authoritarian state like China. I'd care then......

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
No offence ment here but having similar situations, as many do, I have concluded that there isn't much of a relationship through keeping in touch on Facebook. In fact it ends up feeling a little more tragic. Often people post their media life image on social media and that is an engineered addiction.
Why would I be offended? IIRC I stated that I don't have a FB account simply because I can't be bothered with vapid people who choose to present the most superficial parts of their personalities.

Here's a news flash though: nobody under 40 uses Facebook. That's because they know it's a time suck and would rather be sharing their experiences either in smaller chunks so that they can do more or using their cameras to stream videos of it in real time. That doesn't make them any less fake, just with less time on their hands. In many ways, for the youth cell phones have replaced having imaginary friends. Now they have countless faceless followers. I'm not sure how that's any better though. In fact, I find it to be disturbingly Orwellian. People are freely giving away liberties that previous generations fought to protect and died for it. Who cares though? Vietnam and China are now portrayed as vacation spots.

As for FB, don't fret. It will be gone soon enough. Just understand that everything that goes on the Internet is cataloged and cross referenced with ways to separate you from your income.
Old 04-25-2018, 02:52 PM

Wink

Not yet, still waiting for my first friend!
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 04-25-2018, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty bradbury View Post
Not yet, still waiting for my first friend!
Good luck with that!

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 04-25-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
My problem with Facebook is more immediate; it's ruining real life relationships. Every night I sit on the couch next to my wife, whose nose is always pointed a some device and is more connected to it than me. The silence is deafening. Granted, it's the only way that she can keep in touch with her parents who moved away a decade ago - but that's a whole 'nother ball o' wax.
Yup. My wife just got her first um- "smart" phone. Talk about a conversation killer. Pays attention to the various alerts going like they're shiny things needing immediate attention.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCave View Post
Yup. My wife just got her first um- "smart" phone. Talk about a conversation killer. Pays attention to the various alerts going like they're shiny things needing immediate attention.
So is the problem the phone or the person? The object is just a tool.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:16 PM

I can't delete my FB account because I've never had one, nor Instagram, nor Myspace, nor Twitter, nor a smartphone, nor TV.

IMO they all seduce, brainwash, dumb down, and kill the best parts of people ... while making a few people zillionaires.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic