The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-13-2018, 07:43 PM

Default Anybody Delete Your Facebook Account?

Just read where 10% of FB users have deleted their accounts because of the recent data privacy issues. Anybody here delete yours? I did FB years ago and deleted my account after about 6 months because it was such a time thief. Being an official “grumpy old man” at 68 years old, I’ve come to the conclusion that social media is on the whole a monumental waste of time. But I could be wrong. Wonder if AGF is considered “social media?” If it is, I will make an exception for the AGF in my broad brush condemnation.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:00 PM

don't know why anybody would delete my facebook account? i've done nothing.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 04-13-2018, 10:19 PM
Charter Member

Besides wasting time, the data privacy issues, role of Facebook in social discord (not just in US), but Europe, Brazil, Central America, and massive amounts of user data collected. I went in and put in all the privacy restrictions, and then downloaded my data file. After seeing the detail and volume of info, I'm probably going to delete my account. I may keep a business page, but won't be sharing any personal information.

Google and Facebook are the world's two biggest advertisers, and their business model relies on user data as the product made available to their customers. They use "persistent" cookies, that track users not just on their company sites, but all of their subsequent internet activity - every page visited, every photo clicked on, every search. Unless you sign out, and empty your cache and cookies, that's what happens. I have no faith in simply checking the "don't track me on other websites" option.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 04-13-2018, 10:28 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Never signed up for FB, Twitter, Instagram, whatever. Glad I didn’t.
Old 04-14-2018, 02:44 AM

Considering it. I use it mainly to keep in touch with childhood friends now thousands of miles away. But the polarization and constant fake news and misleading memes already bugged me. The data privacy issue, however, is pushing me to the “time to quit”.
Old 04-14-2018, 03:43 AM

Me and the other three people left on MySpace are feeling quite smug about this Facebook debacle.
Old 04-14-2018, 04:26 AM

I still have my FB account. Primarily to aggravate my children.

I have no secrets there for anyone to steal.
Old 04-14-2018, 05:23 AM

I have not deleted my facebook account, probably won't either. I don't use it very much, when I do post something it usually has something to do with an open mic I host or in some other way, music related. I've never really trusted the people behind the internet and other forms of digital technology, I've stayed standoffish from it.
I use to be accused of being a tin foil hat wearer, paranoid, a conspiracy theorist, I'm laughing out loud now and I'm quietly laughing at those that bring the voice activated internet accessible devices into their homes. I'm old enough to remember when the book 1984 was considered fiction.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk
Charter Member

During the election I could clearly see that allot of things being handed about were incorrect if not totally stupid. I'd click over to Google the issue and research them and then point it out on FB. I was called stupid by my cousin. At one point a different cousin said he knew what he believed was wrong but he didn't care. I could tell that FB was corrupt in ways I didn't understand or enjoy. I couldn't delete my account as they wouldn't let me back then. After allot of work I figured out how to make it dormant. For me to delete it I would have awaken it and I am not up to that.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road

I had been on Forums like this one for years when Facebook came out. I thought it was stupid then, and I still do. Have never joined.

I keep in touch with friends and family just fine, don't understand why Facebook would be better for that.

I seriously don't get the obsession with it, I guess because I've never been a member.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 04-14-2018, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadcutter View Post
Wonder if AGF is considered “social media?”
I think that any group you're a part of on the internet is social media. Some groups have a singular focus and no real agenda other than to provide a platform that reflects hobbies, interests, etc. Nothing wrong with social media as a whole, but when privacy is abused as we're now seeing people are re-evaluating their need for an association with certain kinds of social media such as FB and Twitter that have a tendency to become toxic.

I'm a political person and am passionate about certain issues, but I'm glad that music and car forums (another passion) restrict political discussion. There are outlets to which I belong that are specifically for political and social discussion and that's where it stays.

Last edited by Kerbie; 04-14-2018 at 05:54 AM. Reason: Political reference
Old 04-14-2018, 06:43 AM

Facebook knows I like guitars, cooking, and painting. Not really feeling my privacy has been invaded. Probably because I never thought anything I posted or looked at on Facebook was private in the first place. I'm actually a little concerned some people thought it was.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 04-14-2018, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitz View Post
I still have my FB account. Primarily to aggravate my children.

I have no secrets there for anyone to steal.
Well, its not your secrets. Do you know that all of your friends personal data is being mined? Their phone numbers, addresses, emails, pretty well anyone you interact with.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Facebook knows I like guitars, cooking, and painting. Not really feeling my privacy has been invaded. Probably because I never thought anything I posted or looked at on Facebook was private in the first place. I'm actually a little concerned some people thought it was.
Close to me but less with painting and add behavioral economics, some types of machines, and quite obsessed with outdoor activities. There appears to be as much that says I'm not a fan of political extremes more than lean an any direction but that gets misinterpreted.

I do have their ability to recognize my face turned off.

It is really important for some nonprofit and sports groups I help. One "friend" is an overseas guitar player I met on a forum and it's how he communicates, and I use "Messenger" for that communication as much as I dislike it.

So what if Facebook knows I travel. Whenever that happens one or a few phone companies and governments know it too.

This is not a specialty in my work but I've had to look at privacy for compliance issues. It has had me feel there needs to be standards and it's left me happiest with Apple and Microsoft vs Facebook, Google and Amazon.

Someone getting private data wrong can be funny too. With wife, teen daughter, and teen boys I get a crazy array of shopping teases.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:49 AM

I never give online social networks or forums much in terms of info to begin with and I have an email account separate from my primary one if I detect any outreach to me from a list developed from a place.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic