The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-26-2018, 08:33 PM

Default Princeton Black and Blue/Tungsten Mosaic Qs

Hey, @Groberts, I think I might have stumbled on your Youtube channel today while I was looking at Princetons and if it was you, you seemed to have a Black and Blue Princeton. If so, how was it? Did it have cab rattle? I had two stock 68s and both had to go back because of weird resonant frequencies that made the amp pretty annoying to play.

Also, if anyone has a Mosaic Mk II from Tungsten, I'd love to hear your impressions! How does it react to 6V6s vs 6L6s, and how loud it really is with a 12"! I was looking at a Benson Monarch, but I can't play one without driving 5 hours, so this two-for-one cash swap is attractive to me because I love Champs, and I love the 68 Princetons purely on tone. Fender's quality control is just rough for amps right now (had two Tweed Deluxe RI's that did the same thing just on a different note - both the Princeton and Tweed were played in multiple places and did the same thing!!!!!!! - believe me I was trying to keep both!

Thanks in advance guys!
Old 03-27-2018, 01:46 AM

Haven’t played the Tungsten, but the Headstrong is my current favorite.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

Hey Ricky, Welcome to the forum.

I have played both amps you mention in your post. They really are two different animals.

The Tungston is a one trick pony. It does that trick very well but is pretty limiting (IMO) for a variety of tones. You get an input jack and a volume knob, and that's it. There is almost no clean headroom whether using 6v6 or 6L6 tubes. Lots of volume for your living room but certainly not giggable.

The Princeton has much more volume and control over your sound. Not a ton of clean headroom but substantially more than the Mosaic. You could gig with it in a small venue without a heavy drummer.

I would recommend you look into Vintage Sound amps. They have a couple options for the Princeton sound and now a really cool looking Tweed offering.
Humbucker Music is a really good dealer for amps of many brands and has a great website that is very informative.

Hope this helps.

Jay

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars