The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-15-2017, 11:15 PM

I'd always get a discount if that's the case. I never use my phone if a real person is eating with me or in my company while hanging together. I find it rude and if someone does it to me too often, I'll mention it.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:26 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Somehow I find it distinctly jarring that this morning at 5am after I took the dogs out to poo, my iPhone news app felt a need to tell me Demi Lovato ditched her bra... with a picture.

What possible reason could I have to need this info at 5am? At 5am after dog poo, who cares?

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 11-16-2017, 06:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
...What possible reason could I have to need this info at 5am? At 5am after dog poo, who cares?

Bob
But for every Bob Womack who couldn't care less about this breaking news, there must be many who DO care about such things and stay glued to their electronic devices until the very last second in the movie theater, walk down the street with eyes glued, drive down the road with devices at the ready, and yes, remain at tables in crowded restaurants after finishing eating so as not to miss a single thing going on in the world or amongst friends. As rokdog49 previously pointed out, "It's a way of life" and for some of us, that's a little bit scary...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 11-16-2017 at 07:09 AM.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
...drive down the road with devices at the ready...
Here's the ultimate in distracted driving...

Sad to say this guy is Canadian...full story here.

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:43 AM

Why do I care if the person at the next table is looking at their cell phone any more than if they were looking at a book or magazine? They're not bothering anyone. Now, if they're talking on the phone, that's another matter.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:11 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Somehow I find it distinctly jarring that this morning at 5am after I took the dogs out to poo, my iPhone news app felt a need to tell me Demi Lovato ditched her bra... with a picture.

What possible reason could I have to need this info at 5am? At 5am after dog poo, who cares?

Bob
I think this question belongs in the "Dear AGFy" thread.
• AGF-only discounts
Free Shipping + Free Returns
Shoreline Rewards
Videos
• Guitars from Taylor | Mcilroy | Larrivee
• Stage gear from K&K | Fire-Eye

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/07...s/namm_x_6.jpg
Old 11-16-2017, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

I read real and fake news all the time. Not entertainment or sports though. I look at most things in today's world as entertainment for me. The world's human condition is fascinating. And the news is so much more entertaining than what is sold as entertainment now days. I do what I can and should in the here and now and the rest is beyond my influence so I leave it up to ... well you get the picture. I want to be in the times that I live.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 11-16-2017, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
Why do I care if the person at the next table is looking at their cell phone any more than if they were looking at a book or magazine? They're not bothering anyone. Now, if they're talking on the phone, that's another matter.
I agree if nobody is waiting for a table. If others are waiting, as I was last Sunday, it seems pretty selfish to be spending time online rather than eating so that someone else can sit down and eat. One of the goals of a successful restaurant is to put diners in seats and turn those seats over frequently. My ladyfriend, a retired speech pathologist, frets that interpersonal/face-to-face communication will become a lost art in our society with its increasing deference to electronic devices...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-16-2017, 06:41 PM

Quote:
I agree if nobody is waiting for a table. If others are waiting, as I was last Sunday, it seems pretty selfish to be spending time online rather than eating so that someone else can sit down and eat. One of the goals of a successful restaurant is to put diners in seats and turn those seats over frequently. My ladyfriend, a retired speech pathologist, frets that interpersonal/face-to-face communication will become a lost art in our society with its increasing deference to electronic devices...
Those are two entirely different issues. If someone is occupying a table in a crowded restaurant and doing something totally unrelated to eating, then there's a problem. But, if two people want look at their cell phones while waiting for their dinner rather than engage in face-to-face communication, that's really none of my business.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:57 PM

I always "request" that everyone put their phones away while we eat. Actual human interaction during a meal is retro, I know.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:04 PM

Quote:
My ladyfriend, a retired speech pathologist, frets that interpersonal/face-to-face communication will become a lost art in our society...
Of course it will, like writing a letter.
Or writing anything for that matter.
My cell phone always stays in the car.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:08 PM

It was a couple of years ago, but I will never forget what I saw in a restaurant one night. A mother. A father. A boy about 12 or so. A girl about the same age. And a little boy about 7 or 8. That little boy sat alone most of the night while the other four of them stared at their separate phones.

It is to the point that Amy and I have repeatedly met someone, maybe even had them over for dinner. And they sit there and text and scroll through Facebook. First and last time at my house...lol
Old 11-17-2017, 02:25 AM
Charter Member

My wife and I have a personal agreement: When going to a restaurant or theater of any kind, the phones stay in the car. Kind of liberating.
Takamine F-451S 12 String (1977)
Old 11-17-2017, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I think it's a great idea. On the other hand, as long as people aren't interfering with my dinner, I don't care what they do. it's better than screaming toddlers.
Agreed.

There is no way you will keep people here in LA off their phones, and as long as it's done quietly I have no problem with it. Helene and I eat out 3-4 times a week, and often check emails while sipping on a pre dinner cocktail. As for kids, don't get me started!
Old 11-17-2017, 04:21 PM

I am a total geek, computers (retired IT guy), electronics, home theater, music, but I have a "no electronics rule" for meals at my house, and when I dine out.

A few months ago I was at a four star restaurant with four families, we had our own room. Even after we were served two of the mothers and most of the teenage children were constantly on their phones....

I said nothing, I wasn't the "host" or I would have, but it spoiled the treat of a fine dining restaurant for me. Enough is enough..........

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic