The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 05-19-2018, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi Paul!

I'm very glad to hear from you!

Good microphones help greatly in getting a good recording. A lot of the Chinese mics made for AKG and similar, for example, and some of the eastern European mics (Studio Projects), make very good condenser mics for reasonable cost.

Regarding the recording gear, many people, such as Doug Young, record to something like a small Zoom digital recorder and get excellent results. You don't need the mic preamps, and you don't really need recording software, like Cubase or ProTools. I have a Tascam DR-44WL small digital recorder where I can plug two XLR cables from external mics right into it for excellent sound. I just finished a piano recording project using two Audio Technica AT4050 mics and this Tascam DR-44WL and it sounds wonderful.

The Tascam DR-44WL even has built in reverb in it. You could import a wave file from this recorder into something like Adobe Premier Elements and do the editing to the start of the handclap on Premier.

Regarding your question, if you can cut to the start or near the start of the handclap to the nearest video frame, nobody can see that it is out of synch. So I cut the video as close as I could get to the start of the handclap (that is, to the nearest video frame) and that's as close as I can get it. After deleting the stuff ahead of that, I moved that video footage on the time map back to zero so it was lined up with all the other tracks.

I hope I have answered your question adequately. If not, send me a PM, Paul.

I have enjoyed your videos over the years, Paul!

- Glenn
Glenn, I've been using an older Zoom Q3 for audio and video but at the least would like to get an audio interface to replace my out-of-date M-Audio Fast Track unit (software incompatible with new OS) o I can handle the audio better. I never can get the vocal/instrument balance right when playing live.

Regarding syncing the hand-clap, if I understand you correctly, a high frame rate negates the need to exactly line up the audio in each video. Did you mention the frame rate you use?

I appreciate your comments on my videos. I haven't done any in awhile and want to get back at it.
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Old 05-19-2018, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1 View Post
Glenn, thank you so much for the effort you went to in producing this tutorial.

I can say, honestly, that I had no idea how much work goes into your videos. No wonder they look, and sound so professional!

With the suggestions you provide here, I hope to be making my own videos when I retire in the next two years or so. It is clear that I have a lot of learning to do, but if I can produce anything like the quality you achieve, I will be a happy man.
Hi Rick,

Thanks for letting me know that you have watched the video and gotten some ideas from it! And you are very welcome! I wish you well in your coming retirement. If you have questions on videos or sound recording when the time comes, please send me a PM and if I can, I will be glad to help.

- Glenn
Old 05-19-2018, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpa53 View Post
Glenn, I've been using an older Zoom Q3 for audio and video but at the least would like to get an audio interface to replace my out-of-date M-Audio Fast Track unit (software incompatible with new OS) o I can handle the audio better. I never can get the vocal/instrument balance right when playing live.

Regarding syncing the hand-clap, if I understand you correctly, a high frame rate negates the need to exactly line up the audio in each video. Did you mention the frame rate you use?

I appreciate your comments on my videos. I haven't done any in awhile and want to get back at it.
Hi Paul,

The frame rate of the HD videos my cameras are taking and the frame rate that I render to is essentially 30 frames per second (29.97, I believe). So each frame covers about 33 msec. It's rare that the synchronization is off by more than half of that. So getting the video lined up within about 16 msec is not too bad.

Thanks,
Glenn
Old 05-19-2018, 09:51 AM

Very nice video, Glenn and a clear and thoughtful explanation of a pretty complicated process. I would add as an aside that the newest version of Apples Final Cut Pro X has a multi-camera editing tool in it that makes the process simpler, but I am an old fan of Final Cut fan so I may be biased. I am astonished at the scope of your technical set-up, congratulations on that. The real revolution in production equipment—cameras, mikes, lights and editing software—has made what was once realm of the professional priesthood completely accessible to anyone who wants to take a little time to learn it (and spend some money as well). Obviously what you have described here could be applied to a multi-camera performance as well. Thanks for sharing this.

Rob
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 05-19-2018, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfirob View Post
Very nice video, Glenn and a clear and thoughtful explanation of a pretty complicated process. I would add as an aside that the newest version of Apples Final Cut Pro X has a multi-camera editing tool in it that makes the process simpler, but I am an old fan of Final Cut fan so I may be biased. I am astonished at the scope of your technical set-up, congratulations on that. The real revolution in production equipment—cameras, mikes, lights and editing software—has made what was once realm of the professional priesthood completely accessible to anyone who wants to take a little time to learn it (and spend some money as well). Obviously what you have described here could be applied to a multi-camera performance as well. Thanks for sharing this.

Rob
Hi Rob,

Thank you for your comments and insight!

Apple has repeatedly done a good job over the years of making complex production work a little simpler. I am rather limited in my knowledge of Apple products because I have gravitated towards the PC since my work experience was all based on the PC. And over the years my work experience and my home experience on the PC have always made me a stronger computer user. This is certainly true with video, where over the last couple of years since my retirement from full time work, I have been working part time for my old company doing training videos to share my knowledge of 40 years of experience at that company. My YouTube hobby work has greatly added to my ability to make these training videos and vice versa.

As I noted earlier in this thread, my method for doing these videos is just my method. There are almost an infinite number of approaches that could be used, some undoubtedly better than the methods I am using. I had comments in my video about this subject that I ended up having to edit out to meet the 15-minute time limit.

I think the key for people is to see how someone they sort of know does this video business to give them confidence to take a stab at making a video themselves. Because it's at that point where a person really starts to learn, when we immerse ourselves and start to see the possibilities.

Thanks again for watching and for commenting here. I have been very gratified to see how many people are showing an interest in this tutorial video.

- Glenn
Old 05-22-2018, 10:32 PM

Great and helpful production, Glenn. Thanks for putting so much into it and sharing.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB View Post
Great and helpful production, Glenn. Thanks for putting so much into it and sharing.
Hi John!

Thanks so much for taking the time to view this and to comment here! I do hope this might be helpful to some! I appreciate your feedback!

- Glenn
Old 05-23-2018, 12:45 AM

Good stuff Glenn,

this should really be a sticky here
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Watts View Post
Good stuff Glenn,

this should really be a sticky here
Thank you so much, Michael!

What a pleasure to get your feedback! I'm so glad you feel that this video is worthwhile! Thanks for taking the time to comment!

- Glenn
Old 05-23-2018, 01:39 PM

Thumbs up

Hi Glenn
thanks for this great video (and by the way I find the sound you have really top!)

Just one quick question. In adobe premiere pro you can use the multicamera editing: instead of synchronising on the clap, the software do it basically itself (simply by comparing the wave form of the different input). And then it's just a camera selection and it is super easy.
I thought there was the same option in adobe premiere element (but it depends probably of the version) Di you check that? If eventually you have it in the software you should check maybe a quick video on it on youtube because that's a super cool tool

Thanks again for this nice video
Old 05-23-2018, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

I finally carved out 15 minutes in my busy retired schedule (aka between naps to watch all of this ... it's answered some lingering "how do they DO that" questions I've had for a while. Very helpful though I'm sure I'll never get to your marvelous level of production. You've added a very helpful resource to AGF ... Cheers Glenn!

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 05-23-2018, 04:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoann View Post
Hi Glenn
thanks for this great video (and by the way I find the sound you have really top!)

Just one quick question. In adobe premiere pro you can use the multicamera editing: instead of synchronising on the clap, the software do it basically itself (simply by comparing the wave form of the different input). And then it's just a camera selection and it is super easy.
I thought there was the same option in adobe premiere element (but it depends probably of the version) Di you check that? If eventually you have it in the software you should check maybe a quick video on it on youtube because that's a super cool tool

Thanks again for this nice video
Hi Yoann!

Thanks for your comments and feedback!

I am not aware of anything in Adobe Premier Elements that allows any kind of automatic synchronization between audio channels, but there might be and I'm just not aware of it.

There have been times when I have forgotten to do the handclap and then had a good take on the audio and video and decided to see if I could synch things up, in spite of my lapse. In those situations, I have always found some audio peak to line up on with good results.

Once I video recorded a musical using my best camera and a separate audio recorder, my Tascam DR-44WL. I wasn't going to do any hand clap as that play started, which seemed kind of rude. Yet later I was able to synch the audio with the video fairly easily in my studio. So hand clap or no hand clap, a person can find a way to synch audio and video.

Still, the hand clap makes things easy. You can synch without it, but it's just so easy this way.

Thanks for your thoughts!

- Glenn

PS: I did some searching on the Internet and found that Adobe Premier Elements does not have any automatic or simple way to align video and separately recorded audio. Based on this, I still believe that some kind of fast transient sound, such as a hand clap, allows a very simple means of aligning separate audio and video tracks. My version of Premier Elements cost about $70; I think the latest version is about $90 now. Adobe Premier Pro costs about $240/year on a continuing subscription, so it's a considerably more expensive program. For the hobbyist, that additional cost may not be worth the difference between Elements and Pro. - Glenn

Last edited by Glennwillow; 05-24-2018 at 09:51 AM.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
I finally carved out 15 minutes in my busy retired schedule (aka between naps to watch all of this ... it's answered some lingering "how do they DO that" questions I've had for a while. Very helpful though I'm sure I'll never get to your marvelous level of production. You've added a very helpful resource to AGF ... Cheers Glenn!
Thank you for your kind comments, Paul! I'm appreciative that you put in the time to watch this video and that you felt it was worthwhile!

Thanks so much!

- Glenn
Old 05-27-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Thank you so much, Michael!

What a pleasure to get your feedback! I'm so glad you feel that this video is worthwhile! Thanks for taking the time to comment!

- Glenn
My pleasure Glenn. Getting the sound right can often be more important than the visuals with guitar-related content. Technology is moving apace though and I recently found an amazing set-up for high-quality video on the fly with my iPhone and a DPA D:Vice and 4099 preamp and mic combo. Very good indeed!

Takes me back to my first video recordings on flip cams... amazing how things have moved on
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.
Old 05-27-2018, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Watts View Post
My pleasure Glenn. Getting the sound right can often be more important than the visuals with guitar-related content. Technology is moving apace though and I recently found an amazing set-up for high-quality video on the fly with my iPhone and a DPA D:Vice and 4099 preamp and mic combo. Very good indeed!

Takes me back to my first video recordings on flip cams... amazing how things have moved on
Hi Michael,

I will look into the setup you describe -- sounds interesting.

Thanks again for your thoughts!

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell