The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-23-2021, 04:29 AM

Default No New Amp Day - A Story About Musician's Friend and Guitar Center

As much as I intellectually know my Mustang Micro into my QSC CP8 sounds as good as I'll ever want, it does not have "the look".

The Fender Custom 68 Vibro Champ checks all the boxes. Old man friendly 20 lbs or so. Just loud enough to play with a polite drummer in a garage. Hall reverb. Tweaked to perfection Fender tone. Decent 10" speaker. And that classic look that Fender had when I got my first electric guitar (Sears Silvertone Harmony in 1968) and would visit Gregory's Music in Plainfield NJ to see the entire Fender amp catalog lined up from Champ to Dual Showman Reverb. Also, it is nice to have something with no menus, no long list of models to choose from, and is not a cheap beginner's amp.

I get cold called by MF with my latest personal rep introducing himself. After some banter I mentioned this amp but said I could wait until Black Friday. He looked it up, offered 15% off and I placed the order.

Two days later this shows up from Guitar Center 811 Hempstead Long Island with one of the tube shields floating in packing:

No original box, no power chord, no cover, no documentation, no receipt, and shop worn. Also, Fender made some changes after the first production run and this is an original. It is light and seems nicely made.

I call MF and the call system asks why I'm calling and I get no chance to enter the extension of my rep. The guy who answers was full of apologies and sends me the return shipping label and re-enters the order, this time specifically marked new-in-sealed-box only, which he says will be in-stock by July 30th. However, he says he can only put new-in-sealed-box in order comments.

With in an hour I get a call from GC Pittsburgh saying they have my order and would a floor sample be OK, since those comments don't get forwarded to GC. I say no and he says after if falls through two more GCs it will be back ordered. BUT, in his opinion there are no boxed ones in-stock at any GC and judging by the lack of a call from the Hempstead GC, it seems to me it is unlikely the next two GCs will both call first. I cancel the order and email the story to my rep.

I'll keep you posted.

Now for the good news, in between order and arrival, I email my rep the link to my duo's website and mention I have an Ibanez Q54 backordered. He lets me know he can cancel that order and re-enter it at 15% off, which of course I do in a flash.

https://www.ibanez.com/usa/products/...q54_1p_01.html
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 07-23-2021, 05:30 AM

The amp is difficult to find. I had to drive 3 hours to get it. There's just one in Dallas and a couple in NYC.
This is listed in Doylestown PA https://reverb.com/item/40714421-fen...mp-reverb-120v

It's a hot lil' potato. Good luck!
Old 07-23-2021, 08:04 AM

Fender has them in-stock online...

Counting the one returned yesterday, the order made+canceled yesterday, and the order made today for a August 2nd delayed ship (presumably after they get new inventory), I'm one strike away from batting out.

Jon Fields
Old 07-23-2021, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
As much as I intellectually know my Mustang Micro into my QSC CP8 sounds as good as I'll ever want, it does not have "the look".

The Fender Custom 68 Vibro Champ checks all the boxes. Old man friendly 20 lbs or so. Just loud enough to play with a polite drummer in a garage. Hall reverb. Tweaked to perfection Fender tone. Decent 10" speaker. And that classic look that Fender had when I got my first electric guitar (Sears Silvertone Harmony in 1968) and would visit Gregory's Music in Plainfield NJ to see the entire Fender amp catalog lined up from Champ to Dual Showman Reverb. Also, it is nice to have something with no menus, no long list of models to choose from, and is not a cheap beginner's amp.

I get cold called by MF with my latest personal rep introducing himself. After some banter I mentioned this amp but said I could wait until Black Friday. He looked it up, offered 15% off and I placed the order.

Two days later this shows up from Guitar Center 811 Hempstead Long Island with one of the tube shields floating in packing:

No original box, no power chord, no cover, no documentation, no receipt, and shop worn. Also, Fender made some changes after the first production run and this is an original. It is light and seems nicely made.

I call MF and the call system asks why I'm calling and I get no chance to enter the extension of my rep. The guy who answers was full of apologies and sends me the return shipping label and re-enters the order, this time specifically marked new-in-sealed-box only, which he says will be in-stock by July 30th. However, he says he can only put new-in-sealed-box in order comments.

With in an hour I get a call from GC Pittsburgh saying they have my order and would a floor sample be OK, since those comments don't get forwarded to GC. I say no and he says after if falls through two more GCs it will be back ordered. BUT, in his opinion there are no boxed ones in-stock at any GC and judging by the lack of a call from the Hempstead GC, it seems to me it is unlikely the next two GCs will both call first. I cancel the order and email the story to my rep.

I'll keep you posted.

Now for the good news, in between order and arrival, I email my rep the link to my duo's website and mention I have an Ibanez Q54 backordered. He lets me know he can cancel that order and re-enter it at 15% off, which of course I do in a flash.

No Power cord? who in their right mind packed it?
Besides all the other issues, how can anyone let something go out w/o a power cord...
Really s*cks when you are excited waiting for piece of gear. Sorry Jon

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 07-23-2021, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

I had a similar experience with my local GC two years ago with a Fishman Artist amp. I ordered because it was not in stock locally. They sent one from another store which was shopworn and no box. I took it home and tried to love it, but wound up returning it. They brought in another one - same thing from another store. By that time, my patience ended - I said just give me a refund…that took an act of Congress..finally got refund. They wanted to give me store credit - I laughed and said no way. That soured me on GC permanently.
Old 07-23-2021, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post

I'll keep you posted.

I do not understand why anyone buys from these people when there are much better vendors ready to take your money. GC has been pathetic for years, and MF has gotten just as bad though it took them longer to devolve.
Old 07-23-2021, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
I do not understand why anyone buys from these people when there are much better vendors ready to take your money. GC has been pathetic for years, and MF has gotten just as bad though it took them longer to devolve.
MF devolved when they partnered more closely with GC. among other things MF now cross-lists GC's used gear and collect sales tax online

MF used to be the best - 1 year (yes ONE YEAR) returns, regularly running 15-20% discounts with minimal exclusions, quick shipping and first rate NEW products

You can still deal with them, but you have to be careful .. and lucky
Old 07-23-2021, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ds114 View Post
MF devolved when they partnered more closely with GC. among other things MF now cross-lists GC's used gear and collect sales tax online

MF used to be the best - 1 year (yes ONE YEAR) returns, regularly running 15-20% discounts with minimal exclusions, quick shipping and first rate NEW products

You can still deal with them, but you have to be careful .. and lucky
I've been a MF customer since 2001 and I have never seen 1-year returns. They had, until recently, extended the 45-day return policy (years ago it was only 30 days IIRC) for the Christmas holiday period so you may be able to get 60 days or more, depending upon when you made the order.

I also think MF and GC extended the return period during the height of the Covid pandemic. I don't remember how long but it may have been as much as six months. But never a year that I know of.

As for the taxes, that is not MF's dealings ... that is the state that you live in that receives the items telling MF to start charging the applicable tax. As for the exclusions, MF has always had them as far as I remember. I would always have to call to talk to an agent to get approval. And, as I said, my history with MF goes back to 2001 and, in fact, I still have the first product I ever bought from the company, a Rogue "Beatle" bass that is still working fine.

But I do agree with you that the link with GC has somewhat weakened MF. As for the amp ordered, does the O.P. know where it was shipped from? It does sound as if the amp came from a GC store and that is NOT what the seller expected or wanted so a refund was the correct deal. In fact, MF should have offered some kind of incentive to keep his or her business such as a discount on future orders.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 07-23-2021, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph124C41 View Post
I've been a MF customer since 2001 and I have never seen 1-year returns. They had, until recently, extended the 45-day return policy (years ago it was only 30 days IIRC) for the Christmas holiday period so you may be able to get 60 days or more, depending upon when you made the order.

I also think MF and GC extended the return period during the height of the Covid pandemic. I don't remember how long but it may have been as much as six months. But never a year that I know of.

As for the taxes, that is not MF's dealings ... that is the state that you live in that receives the items telling MF to start charging the applicable tax. As for the exclusions, MF has always had them as far as I remember. I would always have to call to talk to an agent to get approval. And, as I said, my history with MF goes back to 2001 and, in fact, I still have the first product I ever bought from the company, a Rogue "Beatle" bass that is still working fine.

But I do agree with you that the link with GC has somewhat weakened MF. As for the amp ordered, does the O.P. know where it was shipped from? It does sound as if the amp came from a GC store and that is NOT what the seller expected or wanted so a refund was the correct deal. In fact, MF should have offered some kind of incentive to keep his or her business such as a discount on future orders.
They used to accept returns up to a year. As for the taxes, I am aware of why: when they partnered with GC they had to abide by tax code for their physical locations. MF used to not collect tax from NY (my former home), but I have since moved to warmer surroundings.

Now MF discounts of 20% (which used to be a code on the back of a catalog) are almost unheard of, 15% has a long list of exclusions and often a minimum spend, and 10% are more commonplace but still with plenty of restrictions. But that 10% discount is now a 2-3% discount depending on your local tax rate.
Old 07-23-2021, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Twhen they partnered with GC...
They didn't partner with GC, they were bought by the same company that owns GC, so it was more of a shotgun marriage than a partnership.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 07-24-2021, 04:57 AM

15% off MAP plus 8% points is hard to beat these days.

I recently had a bad experience with Sweetwater where they shipped a PRS S2, that had disappeared and reappeared from their website which I suspect was returned, with the tuning gear tags floating in the gig bag. You would think not a big deal, but the tags were hard enough to scratch up the back of the guitar.

Maybe the message is don't but stuff :~)???

I offer the story as much for the curiosity of it and MF's latest policy of shipping from GC stock if the warehouse is bare. The solution is to ask when it will be in-stock and order with delayed shipment...if that works. I'll let you know.

I can't complain about my Q54 backorder being re-entered with a discount. It never occured to me to negotiate price on an instrument not in stock which is more good learning!

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 07-24-2021 at 07:56 AM.
Old 07-24-2021, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
They didn't partner with GC, they were bought by the same company that owns GC, so it was more of a shotgun marriage than a partnership.
I never said they chose to partner, versus it effectively being forced on them. But now they are ~collaborative sister companies, i.e. partners.Following your analogy it was an arranged marriage.

Both GC and MF ( and M123 and WWBW) are all going to implode die off sooner than later. Someone, perhaps (and hopefully) Sweetwater will emerge as the new online musical instrument king.
Old 07-24-2021, 08:00 AM

Jon - you have the right to be a little upset. I would be too if I ordered a new amp that came in a non-stock box, no cord, no manual, etc. For all you know it's used and you don't have the Fender warranty because someone else already registered the amp.
Old 07-24-2021, 10:20 AM

Good luck! I hope you get a working amp, and that whatever you get makes you happy.

Last edited by Song; 07-28-2021 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Need to be terse
Old 07-24-2021, 10:59 AM

Quote:
They used to accept returns up to a year.
When was that?

Sorry but 21 years later I still have not experienced that. MF's stated policy had been 30 days, then it was upped to 45 days. And, as I said, during the height (or depth) of the pandemic there was an extension.

But a year? I was never offered that. Perhaps you got some agent to make an exception but I just don't see how any major business (in non-pandemic madness time) would allow returns up to a year. I do understand some smaller companies or individuals may allow a return of up to a year ... but something as large as MF? I just don't see it.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars