The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-08-2021, 06:32 PM

Default Bass amp for electric guitar

I have been messing around with my amps lately. I am looking for a very portable amp for my guitar. In that process I plugged my guitar into my daughters Fender 25 Rumble V3. Wow, that had a very deep rich sound with only a 8 inch speaker. The more I twisted the knobs the more I liked the amp. Unfortunately, it has no reverb. I bought a reverb pedal for it, but I will have to put in in on the front end since it doesn't have an effects loop.

So my question, is there a small bass amp with an effects loop that someone would recommend? FYI I do not play often with distortion, I like it clean ; )
Old 07-08-2021, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilca View Post
I have been messing around with my amps lately. I am looking for a very portable amp for my guitar. In that process I plugged my guitar into my daughters Fender 25 Rumble V3. Wow, that had a very deep rich sound with only a 8 inch speaker. The more I twisted the knobs the more I liked the amp. Unfortunately, it has no reverb. I bought a reverb pedal for it, but I will have to put in in on the front end since it doesn't have an effects loop.

So my question, is there a small bass amp with an effects loop that someone would recommend? FYI I do not play often with distortion, I like it clean ; )
Most pedals belong at the input of an amp, not its effects loop.

I have had excellent results with bass amps for guitar. These days, I use my Markbass Minimark (2-6) for such. For effects, I have an MXR Phase 90, Sansamp GT2, Cave Passive Pedals B-Drive MK II, tc electronic MOJOMOJO, and Strymon Flint (this get the most use, for both guitar and bass).
Old 07-08-2021, 07:17 PM
Charter Member

Are you wanting gigging volume or just a practice amp? If it's the latter, consider one of the portable Yamaha THR10 amps. It has a setting for bass or for guitar. It's a small amp with a small speaker, so don't expect miracles.
Old 07-08-2021, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilca View Post

If you're playing clean, I wouldn't worry about having an effects loop. You can run most everything in front of the amp and it'll sound fine. When you start using lots of pre-amp distortion (like my Mesa) it's a different story, but playing clean makes effects order and placement easy; just stick 'em in front of the amp.

And the pronouncement "Most pedals belong at the input of an amp, not its effects loop" should not be taken as meriting the certainty with which it was stated. It depends.

Last edited by Paleolith54; 07-09-2021 at 07:21 AM. Reason: because
Old 07-08-2021, 11:53 PM

I use a Phil Jones Double 4 bass amp with my baritone ukes and guitars. 75wts and a little larger than a large shoebox. Weighs around 10 lbs. I use a computer battery for power. Have played up to four hours straight and still had three of the 5 lights on.

I also have the Yamaha THR5A amp. Nice and compact. So much so, I can put in a small tote bag to carry with me along with the computer battery and cables.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phpzvwK1iPM.jpg (13.1 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg php0627RvPM.jpg (9.2 KB, 108 views)

Last edited by PatrickMadsen; 07-09-2021 at 12:24 AM.
Old 07-09-2021, 08:05 AM

40 years ago I used a Fender Bassman into a Marshall 4x12.
Yowza!
Old 07-09-2021, 08:22 AM

If it sounds good, it is good. AFAIK, there's no increased chance of damage from plugging a guitar into a amp and speaker designed for bass.*

Historically, the Fender Bassman was a very happy accident for guitar players as the models from the later 50s-early 60's became a classic amp for electric guitarists.

As to it sounding good, a lot of that may be centered on playing clean and in an uncluttered or solo electric guitar context. By their design many are going to emphasize the lower end of the guitar's sound and in a stage or more crowed mix many prefer the electric guitar amp pushes the higher end of the spectrum.

*The other way around deserves caution. As I understand it, electric bass can present a speaker with quite a bit of movement and tremendous transient action on some note attacks which guitar speakers may not tolerate without damage. Gentler playing at lower volumes, you can get away with it.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 07-09-2021, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
Are you wanting gigging volume or just a practice amp? If it's the latter, consider one of the portable Yamaha THR10 amps. It has a setting for bass or for guitar. It's a small amp with a small speaker, so don't expect miracles.
I just want a practice amp. Since there is no problem with pedals on the input I will just keep using my daughters Rumble. It is light, cheap and paid for.

Thanks!
Old 07-25-2021, 05:33 AM

I made the same discovery about the Rumble 25. Got it as a bass practice amp, one day paired it up with an otherwise worthless Sidekick 15R I've had since the early 90's.

Wow! Sounded pretty good! Surprisingly good in fact. The Rumble adds the low end the Sidekick could never get on its own. Together, they make a pretty good practice rig.

( btw, whatever pedals I use I run thru the front. No problems, as long as you pay a little attention to their order)

---
Old 07-25-2021, 10:38 AM

I have a circa-1980 Randall RB-120 1x15", an old-school two independent (non-switchable) channel combo, that not only served as my gigging bass amp for over 25 years but which I still use for jazz comping, acoustic-electric guitar, and as my checkout amp whenever I do some guitar tweaks: lotsa low end (as expected), smooth highs (tames the characteristic piezo "quack" and nails-on-a-blackboard high end), nothing extraneous in the signal path (as close to the "straight-wire-with-gain" audiophile ideal as you're going to get in an instrument amplifier), and plenty of clean power/headroom - not my style, but it would probably make a great high-power pedal platform...
Old 07-25-2021, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
Most pedals belong at the input of an amp, not its effects loop.
That's just not true. Most can work fine there, and I'd say anything probably does if you play clean. But a Phaser, for example, doesn't "belong" any one place over the other: it works great in both places. I hate delay before dirt, some people make it work in their rig. It's all about the sound you want and the rest of your equipment.

I have no need to convince you, I only chime in so the guy doesn't pay more attention to the idea than it merits.
Old 07-25-2021, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
That's just not true. Most can work fine there, and I'd say anything probably does if you play clean. But a Phaser, for example, doesn't "belong" any one place over the other: it works great in both places. I hate delay before dirt, some people make it work in their rig. It's all about the sound you want and the rest of your equipment.

I have no need to convince you, I only chime in so the guy doesn't pay more attention to the idea than it merits.
My point is strictly related to nominal operating levels. Of course, some amps' fx loops are earlier than some others in the circuit layout, so, it depends, overall.

Ohyah, I don't need any convincing, one way or the udder.
Old 07-26-2021, 09:07 AM

havent tried the rumble 25, i do have the 200, but the peavey minx 110 is a very nice amp for bass and keyboard- pretty decent on guitar, thats one amp staying here available cheap at times- if you want more bottom end, the vox ad15/30 series are good for that, usually under $100 with all the mod effects, i would like to get rid of my rumble 200, which i have no use for, and get a rumble 40, i like the 10"speaker better and the line out option
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars