The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-06-2021, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbramsey View Post
Hi,
Beginner here. Looking for an amp in the $150 range. I have been looking on line, but that just confused me. LOL Looking for something that I can learn with and grow with also. I don't need anything for playing in a band, just for my own use.
Thanks,
David
Once you narrow down to a range of what seems acceptable, being patient with Craigslist or FB Marketplace can get you a lot more amp for the money, too. Example: I got a Peavey red stripe Express (the same circuit as the highly-regarded older Bandits) for $100 a couple of years back, and that'll go from a whisper to a roar and could even be a decent gigging amp if you ever want that.
Old 07-06-2021, 11:19 AM

All great suggestions but for 150 clams I'd get this one for a beginner.

Old 07-06-2021, 09:40 PM
Charter Member

Spend another hundred and get the positive grid spark 40.

It's a practice amp AND a PC home studio in a box. So many thing you can do with it, but you can go a little bit at a time. So much functionality!

Take it for what it is, a SS practice amp, you can't compare with a nice small tube amp.

But my Supro Blues King 10 is gathering dust since I got the Spark 40...

Fender Micro Mustang is really nice too. I only use mine with headphones but the ability to effortlessly stream Spotify thru the BT is so much fun.

I've done the Katana thing and I found it to be a complete PITA. Their software was a trainwreck for me, so much effort & time spent to get that thing patched and using their software to find tones.

The SPARK 40 completely blows away Katana in ease of use. For me anyway.

Lots of great amps out there, the tech is changing. It's not simply tubes vs SS anymore!
Old 07-06-2021, 10:11 PM

Sending you a PM.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 07-07-2021, 07:49 AM

Default Thanks All

hanks for all the replies. Right now I am thinking about the Mustang LT25. I think that will be ample for what I will be doing.
David
Old 07-07-2021, 11:14 AM

Quote:
...I have been looking online, but that just confused me...Looking for something that I can learn with and grow with also...
Quote:
...Right now I am thinking about the Mustang LT25. I think that will be ample for what I will be doing...
PSA: If possible - even if it involves a day trip (BTW I've done it myself - FYI we don't have all the good gear here in NYC...) - try to get to the nearest well-stocked retailer/big-box store and do a hands-on with a variety of different new/used amplifiers, including a few of those iconic models well above your given price range. While advice is nice (whether mine or anyone else's) it can only take you so far, and there's no substitute for an in-person demo that lets you form your own opinions; I've been in this game all my life and, truth be told, I've made more than a few pleasant discoveries (including the aforementioned Bugera V5/V22 and Fender Frontman 212R) and avoided some potentially expensive mistakes - and regardless of playing level, it's just one heluva lot of fun to plug into that Mesa Boogie/Fender/Vox/Marshall and see how your potential acquisition stacks up (pun intended )...

Best of luck - keep us posted...
Old 07-07-2021, 11:39 AM

Quote:
hanks for all the replies. Right now I am thinking about the Mustang LT25. I think that will be ample for what I will be doing.
David
yea,, that's the one I put a link in from sweetwater on the first page.

I've had a few mustangs, and other modeling amps as well in the past.

The guys at fender, really got these right IMHO.

The mustangs are not just good for beginners, I've gigged with them. Once you get them dialed in with three or four presets of your own making, they can do just about anything you want.

I think you'll like it a lot.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 07-07-2021, 12:45 PM

I have two suggestions:

1. Take Steve DeRosa's suggestion and get the Bugera. At his suggestion I bought the Bugera V22 Infinium and I have no regrets. They are great, reliable amps. If you don't want to do this, then

2. Craigslist is your friend. You can find decent used amps at reasonable prices (usually about 50% of new or less), try them, and then sell them for about what you paid. I bought my first amp this way, a Line 6 Spider IV 30 watt for $50, then later sold it for $75! This is, IMO, a good way to find out what you like and don't like.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 07-07-2021, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitararmy View Post
I like the Roland Cube series of solid state combo amps...
I also like the Peavey combo amps like the Bandit, or the discontinued stereo chorus models.
Plus one. (My Roland Cube was the first amp I ever owned and still have it).
Wrote the script for small solid state amps!
Old 07-09-2021, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuman View Post
I bought a Peavey "Transtube" Rage 158 used at Guitar Center for $30 a few years back and was super-impressed with it. I wound up selling it for $75, so you should be able to find one in your price range. Might not be great for acoustic sounds. I have a Yamaha THRC10 right now and the tones and flexibility are tremendous. It does have an "Acoustic" setting, as well as one for bass. They both work pretty well. I have gigged with it, running a balanced stereo cable out to the house PA. The newer ones (out of your price range) have dual XLR-outs -- which you said you don't need. If you can find one of these THR amps used you will not regret it. I got mine on clearance from Guitar Center for $99. You're probably not going to get that lucky, but that's what I would buy if I could find one in your price range. You can run the amp on AA batteries and it has an aux input and looks really cool so you can even use as a desktop speaker for an old MP3 player.

I would also agree with the recommendation on the lower-power Vox modeling amps, which sound better than you might expect.
How did you get a THR10c for $99? They're usually double the price used.

I'm going non-traditional. NUX MG 30 modeler with a $20 Bluetooth speaker to start. You can run it off a cell phone battery pack if you want. It sounds phenomenal and you'll have many amps and effects on hand.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 07-23-2021, 03:27 PM

As is my wont I am late to the party- but, the thread led me to you tube to
check out different amps- I have a Bugera v5 btw, per Steve's recommendation,
but I am still too new at this electric gig- anyway, I ran across this video that
might be helpful to we the new people

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars