The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-28-2021, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

Default Any Heritage advice appreciated

Was looking at Les Pauls, but got distracted by Heritage, in about the same price range. A search here revealed mixed reviews, including horrible resale values-but time hasnt shown that to be the case.

I dont know much about them, and havent played one. Any experience or advice here. Im not looking for an investment or collectible guitar, just a good quality, good playing Les Paul style.

Thanks
Dave
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 06-28-2021, 04:19 PM
Charter Member

High quality USA made Gibson-style designs. Great guitars. Roy Clark played some excellent 335 designs (among others) by Heritage.

https://heritageguitars.com/pages/about-us
Old 06-28-2021, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
Was looking at Les Pauls, but got distracted by Heritage, in about the same price range. A search here revealed mixed reviews, including horrible resale values-but time hasnt shown that to be the case.

I dont know much about them, and havent played one. Any experience or advice here. Im not looking for an investment or collectible guitar, just a good quality, good playing Les Paul style.

Thanks
Dave
Their H150s fall somewhere between the Gibson USA and Custom Shop lines.

I have two H150s that compare favorably to my custom shop Gibsons, although to get them there, I swapped pickups and hardware (Faber tone-lock hardware). They can be pretty heavy as they are not weight relieved, so if that is concern make sure to check the weight of any one you're looking at.

Their resale value seems to be going up lately but not as much as Gibsons.

The company ownership turned over about 3 years ago and the quality seems to have gone up with Heritages, especially in the areas of fret dress and the cutting of the nut, which were getting to be a concern in the last few years of the old guard.

My Heritages...

Old 06-29-2021, 03:33 AM

I have owned several Heritage archtops, and the quality is excellent.
Eastman makes an LP variant that has gotten some nice reviews.
Old 06-29-2021, 06:11 AM

I had an archtop Very nice.

My buddy has a LP, also, VERY nice.

It's a hard call for me, for the same dough, I'm probably leaning towards the Gibson, cuz that's the head stock logo kind of guy I am I suppose

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 06-29-2021, 08:58 AM

Love them. Owned a 2017 535 for three years and loved it every minute. Only better than modern Gibsons I've played.
Saez Marin G90 (Cedar/EIR)
Old 06-29-2021, 09:50 AM

I have an Eagle and a 575. They are excellent guitars. Some minor design differences from Gibson and both fully carved archtops.

Unlike Gibson these are guitars for players, not collectors. I bought them both used at way lower prices than equivalent Gibson… but Gibson stopped making archtops so resale values have gone up.

For a les paul style guitar, the Gibson price difference is probably less, so I would just get a Gibson… but if you find a Heritage at a good price, it will be at least as good.

Lowden S25c - The Tool "Flying D" prototype - Heritage Eagle - MJT Thinline Telecaster - Fender CS 56 Stratocaster
Old 06-29-2021, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

Thanks all! I feel better about taking a chance on them. Kinda seems like Heritage is to Gibson, what G&L is to fender, at least initially.

And beautiful pics, Rockabilly!
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 06-29-2021, 01:12 PM

I would love to get my hands on a used one.
Old 06-29-2021, 05:27 PM

I should have bought that Heritage back in 2000, sadly I ended up with something else, that I sold off years ago.

I'd buy a Heritage for sure, over any Gibson (for a variety of reasons).
Old 06-30-2021, 08:00 AM

Heritage came about when Gibson closed their plant in Kalamazoo, Michigan in the mid 1980's. A number of Gibson employees decided they didn't want to follow Gibson to Nashville, and instead stayed in Michigan and started the Heritage Guitar company utilizing Gibson's old Kalamazoo plant.
Old 07-08-2021, 03:19 PM

Heritage has made some nice instruments. Their resale has improved greatly over the years but is still off of prime. The market is very strong right now so many prices are a bit skewed.

Heritage had some production issues in the past. Like Gibson they almost went under a few times. The issues were Mostly with neck sets on arch top guitars and some fit and finish issues. Those issues were mostly found on the earlier builds, up to SN beginning with Q/R/S; if I recall correctly.

Before that time they also used crummy hardware (pickups and bridges). They also had killer flamed maple pickguards. When they changed the hardware they changed the cool pickguards and scaled back on the killer flamed tops.

Recently they were saved by an investor(s). They are apparently rebuilding the brand.

I have owned many heritage guitars. Never kept any of them and prefer the Gibson versions of what they offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post

Thanks
Dave

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars