The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 06-19-2021, 07:39 AM
Charter Member

Default Rudy Cipolla: A Portrait of a Mandolin Player

This video, which was originally filmed sometime around 1990, gives us a glimpse into Rudy's world. I saw the original before restoration and this is really a remarkable job. I'm so grateful to the people who have done so much to keep Rudy's legacy alive.

2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 02-23-2022, 10:19 AM

Cool Tribute. Back in mid 80s I met a Italian Mandolin player about 10 years older. I sold him a nice old bowl back. He knew Rudy well. He had a mandolin that Rudy had given him and really cherished it. Pretty sure his father played with Rudy occasionally back in the day. Anthony D. would only play Traditional Bowl back mandolins in the old world style. RIP Rudy
Old 02-28-2022, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Runner View Post
Cool Tribute. Back in mid 80s I met a Italian Mandolin player about 10 years older. I sold him a nice old bowl back. He knew Rudy well. He had a mandolin that Rudy had given him and really cherished it. Pretty sure his father played with Rudy occasionally back in the day. Anthony D. would only play Traditional Bowl back mandolins in the old world style. RIP Rudy
Rudy was my 1st cousin, three times removed. I never got a chance to meet him and for that I'm really sorry. His grandparents, Giovanni Cipolla and Angela Caruso, are my 3x great-grandparents.

Just before the pandemic hit, I was contacted by a woman in California who is writing a book about Rudy. She was hoping I'd have some stories to tell her about him. As it turned out, I learned a lot more about Rudy from her than she learned from me. I was able to fill in dates and give her copies of documents I'd accumulated over many years of genealogical research on my family, but she was able to tell me stories and share things like this film which taught me more about my cousin than my documents ever could.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments