The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 05-12-2021, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

Tone something or other (Right?). Mandolin is what I play most these days, mainly because I'm trying to play it much better. I have three plenty good enough guitars, and I'd really not trade my homebuilt for a Northfield F 5S.

The Northfield Big Mon is a very satisfying mando, but man, every Collings uses beautiful wood. Still, the curse of the F style haunts me because I have a wonderful Silverangel A style that can hold it's own with pretty much anything. I might have to sell that and my 1913 A 1 to justify the cost. Need to feel some pain, I think.

Really though, I just don't like new instruments.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 05-18-2021, 09:05 AM

So this deal got even better! The mandolin arrived and it came in a gig bag. I should add that it's a gorgeous bag with tons of padding. However, I emailed Amazon just to let them know that they should change the online photo as it shows a $300 hard shell case. They apologized and refunded me 10%, which works out to $200!
Old 05-19-2021, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
So this deal got even better! The mandolin arrived and it came in a gig bag. I should add that it's a gorgeous bag with tons of padding. However, I emailed Amazon just to let them know that they should change the online photo as it shows a $300 hard shell case. They apologized and refunded me 10%, which works out to $200!
Cool--Enjoy!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 05-19-2021, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Cool--Enjoy!
I still need to post photos!
Old 05-19-2021, 07:52 PM

Congratulations . Be careful not to tune the e string past F#. One of my former professors is a mandolin player.Have fun.

Last edited by guitar344; 05-20-2021 at 12:52 AM.
Old 05-27-2021, 02:32 PM
Charter Member

The rule of thumb is that an F style mandolin is double the price of the equivalent guitar. So take a D 18 Authentic and double that. Puts the quality mandolin at $10,000-12,000. So you can get a top of the line Collings, a used Ellis, and a whole host of upper end Gibsons for that. A lot of pretty good individual luthiers too. But it wouldn't buy a Gilchrist, McClanahan, Red Diamond, or Dudenbostel. There are some fine luthiers in the $7500 and up range. But that's a pile of coin, and you can tell the difference.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Fluke tenor ukulele

Old 05-27-2021, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
The rule of thumb is that an F style mandolin is double the price of the equivalent guitar. So take a D 18 Authentic and double that. Puts the quality mandolin at $10,000-12,000. So you can get a top of the line Collings, a used Ellis, and a whole host of upper end Gibsons for that. A lot of pretty good individual luthiers too. But it wouldn't buy a Gilchrist, McClanahan, Red Diamond, or Dudenbostel. There are some fine luthiers in the $7500 and up range. But that's a pile of coin, and you can tell the difference.
Yeah, that kind of money is for serious mandolin players for sure. It would have to be my only instrument for me to spend that kind of coin. I see these Kentucky and Eastman mandolins in the same way I look at the Larrivee Legacy series guitars. Just solid, excellent sounding instruments. Yeah, you could spend a ton more, but these will sound great.

A monster player here in Canada, JP Cormier, plays all sorts of instruments. He actually endorses Boucher guitars as well. He is often seen playing an Eastman mandolin and he sounds just incredible. I am honestly not sure if I could tell the difference between a Collings and Eastman/Kentucky if someone was playing them in front of me.
Old 06-02-2021, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

To me, the G string is the giveaway. I've never played an Eastman that had the richness in the G string. And yes, the differences are not as great as you might expect, but they are real, and once you are aware, you won't want anything than the best you can afford. I made the mistake of playing an Ellis once. It was used at a very reasonable $8500. Yes, that is how you start thinking.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Fluke tenor ukulele

Old 06-02-2021, 02:33 PM

Quote:
To me, the G string is the giveaway. I've never played an Eastman that had the richness in the G string. And yes, the differences are not as great as you might expect, but they are real, and once you are aware, you won't want anything than the best you can afford. I made the mistake of playing an Ellis once. It was used at a very reasonable $8500. Yes, that is how you start thinking.
Got any recordings demo'ing what you are talking about? I have a really nice mando that I would like to hear if it does the G string thing you mention.
Old 06-02-2021, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Got any recordings demo'ing what you are talking about? I have a really nice mando that I would like to hear if it does the G string thing you mention.
I too don't know what the "G string thing" is, but are you sure you want to hear it? Once you do, you might notice it with your mandolin and then not like it as much haha.

One thing with this Kentucky mandolin is that I got a killer deal on it and could easily sell it used for at least $2400 and make $600. What I am tempted to do is play a bunch of new and used mandolins at local shops and if one blows me away more than this Km-1500, I can always make a trade or sell it and buy the one I want. I mean if a used Collings came up for $3200 for example, it would be hard not to trade the Kentucky and spend just a bit more for an even higher end model.
Old 06-02-2021, 03:52 PM

Quote:
I too don't know what the "G string thing" is, but are you sure you want to hear it? Once you do, you might notice it with your mandolin and then not like it as much haha.

One thing with this Kentucky mandolin is that I got a killer deal on it and could easily sell it used for at least $2400 and make $600. What I am tempted to do is play a bunch of new and used mandolins at local shops and if one blows me away more than this Km-1500, I can always make a trade or sell it and buy the one I want. I mean if a used Collings came up for $3200 for example, it would be hard not to trade the Kentucky and spend just a bit more for an even higher end model.
The grass is always greener my man What are your feelings about this Kentucky, is it living up to the idea you had in your head about it? If it isn't, sell it, if it is, just start writing some songs with it and make it your own.

I just bought a new Fender Jaguar (another killer deal), just to see how a top of the line Fender would compare to the one that I just built up from a Squier body.

The first day I had it, I didn't even plug it in. I just didn't like the feel of the 9.5 radius compared to the 7.25 radius on the one I just built. And even though it was a killer deal, I thought, it's going back. But after spending a few hours with my trusty guitar tool kit, I got the guitar playing almost identically to my project Jag. I then walked into my recording room, and laid down some licks with it. I immediately bonded with it.

Sometimes we over-think purchases. These things are merely tools, although sometimes we think of them as more. You either make music with them, or you don't. If you don't, but you keep it, you're a collector, not a musician. Not a bad thing, but if that's the side you fall on, I guess the smart thing would be to have an instrument that is going up in value.

From your posts, I think of you as a musician, so if the Kentucky is something you can use, and it delivers the goods, I would hang on to it! You are probably much better of a mando player than me, but I know my way around one. I have 2 mandolins, a Bernard Allen handbuilt (very raw may I add), and a Breedlove FF (American model). Both of them get the job done for me, with the Bernard being more musical, and the Breedlove being very consistent, and easier to play due to a wider neck. Because of my limited use of mandolin, I stopped buying them as these two get the job done. No $8500 Ellis or even a $3200 Collings needed If you think your stage performances or recordings would improve with the Collings, sell that Kentucky. In my case they wouldn't.

Here's my mandos...

Last edited by rockabilly69; 06-03-2021 at 11:07 PM.
Old 06-03-2021, 07:24 PM

Those look great! I love oval hole mandolins. The group I am in plays a lot of celtic music so one of those would be perfect, I have just always wanted a traditional F style mandolin.

I am quite happy with the Kentucky! Tonally, it's a beast. I was shocked at how loud it is. It does sound like it needs to open up but that's most likely the Adirondack top being a bit stiff.

It looks really nice as well! Some minor cosmetic issues, but honestly, I am super picky. The trim around the scroll for example isn't as precise as it could be but it still looks nice.

I would post photos but don't know how haha.
Old 06-03-2021, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Those look great! I love oval hole mandolins. The group I am in plays a lot of celtic music so one of those would be perfect, I have just always wanted a traditional F style mandolin.

I am quite happy with the Kentucky! Tonally, it's a beast. I was shocked at how loud it is. It does sound like it needs to open up but that's most likely the Adirondack top being a bit stiff.

It looks really nice as well! Some minor cosmetic issues, but honestly, I am super picky. The trim around the scroll for example isn't as precise as it could be but it still looks nice.

I would post photos but don't know how haha.
Well I'm glad you l think it's tonal beast, that's what counts!!! And yes it will open up.

Oh I know how loud a good F mandolin can be. When I first met my girlfriend, my studio had just been burglarized and I lost a cheap little Fender mandolin, so she bought me a Gibson F5. It was so loud, I didn't want to play it, it just wasn't my style, and I maybe I wasn't good enough to warrant it. She asked why I never played it, and I told her the truth, so she told me to trade it for an instrument that I would play, that how I got my National Western Model D Reso.
Old 06-04-2021, 09:38 AM

Quote:
I am sure you are correct in your assessment. But, I paid $725 for an Eastman MD 505 in January and I couldn't/wouldn't pay a few thousand dollars for additional richness in the G string. For that kind of money the G string should be worn by an absolutely stunning young woman.

Not tryin' to brag, or nuthin', but I own a guitar.

Last edited by sabatini; 06-04-2021 at 12:39 PM.
Old 06-04-2021, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabatini View Post
I am sure you are correct in your assessment. But, I paid $725 for an Eastman MD 505 in January and I couldn't/wouldn't pay a few thousand dollars for additional richness in the G string. For that kind of money the G string should be worn be an absolutely stunning young woman.
I absolutely love the look of Eastman mandolins. Their vintage style finish is stunning. That's one finish that I wish my Kentucky mandolin had.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments