The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-25-2021, 01:31 AM
Charter Member

Default Martin Outlaw 17 Demo w/Lifespan Authentic 2.0 Strings

Martin Outlaw 17 Demo w/ Baggs Anthem, brand new Martin Lifespan Authentic 2.0 Strings
Note: Amplified through Bose L1 Pro 8 / Tonematch setting: Baggs iMix

I am still trying to decide whether I will use Martin Lifespan Authentic strings going forward. They are clear and pristine. I will try doing a similar demo using Daddario EJ17 Medium guage next. I think I prefer the EJ17's, but these Authentic Lifespan 2.0 Phosphor Bronze strings have a nice pristine amount of detail.

Since I usually play amplified, I wanted to capture the tone.

Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 07-25-2021, 06:13 AM

It's plugged in - so?
Old 07-25-2021, 07:28 AM
Charter Member

Sounds amazing, as always Gary! How would you characterize the differences between the EJ17s and the authentic acoustic lifespans?
Old 07-25-2021, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

Good vid and playing Gro-bro... I’m not a fan of either of the Authentic Lifespan nor especially the EJ17’s. But between the two, I prefer the warmth and presence of the Lifespan over the brighter and thinner sounding EJ. I prefer Earthwood 80/20 mediums for my guitars, including my D18 both unplugged and amplified. Having said that, I did use the original Martin SP until the formula change went they became “Authentic “...those original SP’s with bronze flashed trebles were great strings. Fat and round on the highs and a defined presence in the lows.
Outlaw is a beast bro!
Old 07-25-2021, 12:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
Good vid and playing Gro-bro... I’m not a fan of either of the Authentic Lifespan nor especially the EJ17’s. But between the two, I prefer the warmth and presence of the Lifespan over the brighter and thinner sounding EJ. I prefer Earthwood 80/20 mediums for my guitars, including my D18 both unplugged and amplified. Having said that, I did use the original Martin SP until the formula change went they became “Authentic “...those original SP’s with bronze flashed trebles were great strings. Fat and round on the highs and a defined presence in the lows.
Outlaw is a beast bro!
I wish Martin never changed from the Lifespan SP formula. Those were my Go-To strings also. I still have a couple of sets. I tried these Lifespan Authentics because when first got a guitar with them it sounded good, so I bought a 10-pack. Then later decided I prefer other strings.

Funny, I hear these authentic lifespans as thinner and brighter compared to Daddario EJ17’s. EJ’s are bright initially but with a few hours on them I enjoy them.

Maybe I misunderstand what 80/20’s bring to the equation but I always thought they were supposed to be brighter and less warm than Phosphor bronze. Yes? No? That is not a direction my Martin dreads need.

I do have a set of Earthwood Medium Gauge Phosphor Bronze Mediums to try. I’ll give them a spin next and let you know.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 07-25-2021, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneuphtoner View Post
Sounds amazing, as always Gary! How would you characterize the differences between the EJ17s and the authentic acoustic lifespans?
In my experience EJ’s are warmer on the wound strings than the newest Lifespan Authentic 2.0 strings. I haven’t tried these Lifespan Authentic 2.0 sets in 8 months or more so figured I would give them a try again.

To the post who commented it was plugged in, …. I understand that point but knowing my guitars as well as I do, I find the Baggs Anthem with the mic is very honest. I made the recording because I perform and play amplified, so that is the sound that is most meaningful for me. Even when I am home, I plug into my Fishman Loudbox Mini and create rhythm loops and solo over them. So this test made perfect sense for my needs.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 07-25-2021, 12:38 PM

Nice playing as always. I too prefer the previous version of lifespan. Don't care for the new formula at all.

I LOVE the Earthwoods PBs on my D18. They've lasted long for me too.

Old 07-25-2021, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post

Maybe I misunderstand what 80/20’s bring to the equation but I always thought they were supposed to be brighter and less warm than Phosphor bronze. Yes? No? That is not a direction my Martin dreads need.... .
Depending on the guitar then 80/20s can give more top and more bass with a mid scoop. Many bluegrass players use them to get the power from the bass and take the mids out of the strum. You could say that the dreadnought was originally voiced around 80/20s. They don't "fizz" like PB strings, and if that is part of your sound then you will hate 80/20s!

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 07-25-2021, 07:36 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Very good playing!

I'm never plugged in so I always thought once you are plugged in the tone from the strings and the guitar for that matter get lost in the chain - that its all amp, pedals effects and the pickup. I'm interested in hearing the other strings to compare. I learn something new every day here.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-25-2021, 08:58 PM

Your guitar and your playing sound fantastic to me! I think I’m going to try a set of EJ17s on my D41 this week. I know that I LOVE them on my Bourgeois Vintage D, so I’m sure I will on the 41, as well.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 07-25-2021, 09:53 PM
Charter Member

Sweet,sweet tones. Beautiful melody. Executed with great feelings.
What more could one ask for?
Old 07-25-2021, 10:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
Your guitar and your playing sound fantastic to me! I think I’m going to try a set of EJ17s on my D41 this week. I know that I LOVE them on my Bourgeois Vintage D, so I’m sure I will on the 41, as well.
TN: I think you'll enjoy the EJ17's on your D-41. They can be a little bright initially but after a couple hours of playing time, they settle down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Very good playing!
I'm never plugged in so I always thought once you are plugged in the tone from the strings and the guitar for that matter get lost in the chain - that its all amp, pedals effects and the pickup. I'm interested in hearing the other strings to compare. I learn something new every day here.
TBman - Good point about hearing different strings. The best I can do with limited capabilities is demo my other Martin dreads that have different strings. The closest would be my DC-18 Cutaway Ambertone. That guitar has a sitka top and cutaway and is very different from the Outlaw with Adi top, Adi bracing, VTS, Martin Authentic scalloping etc.

I don't really know how to edit video's where I played the same thing on the same guitar, but then showed three different segments with different strings on the same guitar. That would be the only way to really draw a direct comparison.

I am not unhappy with the Martin lifespan Authentic 2.0 when I listen back. But overall I prefer the older Martin Lifespan SP 7200 med gauge strings. Loved that formula. I think the new ones are good, but 'different' rather than being 'better.' Lifespan SP 7200's were my string of choice. I moved to D'addario EJ17's as they are always consistent for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
Sweet,sweet tones. Beautiful melody. Executed with great feelings.
What more could one ask for?
Thank you my friend. That means the world to me coming from such a fine and seasoned guitarist like you!
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion