The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-23-2021, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jengstrom View Post
Thanks, all. I have double and triple checked all the things you've talked about. I will take it to a luthier when I can. I suspect the problem is somewhere in the nut, but I have too many conflicting symptoms to point conclusively to anything. That's why I asked for your collective opinions.

Thanks,

John
"Conflicting symptoms" is a tough one to offer any definitive resolution for.
Old 10-23-2021, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jengstrom View Post
Hi all,

I have 2 Eastman dreads that have the same intonation quirk: the 3rd fret G on the low E string is noticeably sharp, 15 cents or more. The adjacent F# and G# are 5+ cents sharp and the rest of the notes on that string are pretty good. Intonation on the other strings is pretty good all over the neck.

What can cause this? Both guitars are in excellent shape (one is new), action and neck relief are middle of the road (and certainly no different than my Martin and Ovation, which both have excellent intonation), and the nut slot height is very good. I don’t see anything skewed on the frets. String choice makes no difference.

Any ideas? And thanks for the input.

John
What causes that is likely a reliance on an electronic tuner. It will tell you what is technically in tune, but it won't tell you what sounds right. Add to that the complication of tempered tuning where not all chords will play in tune in all keys. Most guitars will need the tuning 'sweetened' to mitigate tuning conflict; I always need to de-tune the bottom E a touch, also occasionally the top E and B.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion