The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-28-2014, 05:11 PM

Default Cordoba Cadete soundboard defect -- Keep or Return?

I've had an inkling for a small-bodied, short-scale guitar to play around on -- the ol' "couch/recliner/porch" guitar. I discussed the idea of buying a Cordoba Cadete for my own Christmas present and my wife agreed that if I found a good deal, to go ahead and she would "give" it to me at Christmas.

I spotted a "B" stock Cadete on eBay and decided to pull the trigger. It was listed with some typical wear/damage to the top, but I didn't mind that and it was priced right at $170 shipped. It arrived today and I've had a chance to check it out.

What was listed as the "damage" (dings, nail marks) is actually better than described. Unfortunately, it also has what appears to be a defect in the soundboard around the front edge of the bridge. I don't know exactly how to describe it -- I'm hoping the pics will demonstrate.

Here's the nail marks -- not bad at all:

Here's what appears to be a defect:

Would this bother you? Is this is a critical defect that I should reject? Or just be happy with my beater short-scale guitar and ignore it?
Old 10-28-2014, 07:01 PM

Looks like the bridge was glued back on at some point. If it was done properly, it shouldn't be a problem, but I'd ask the seller about who did it, or when it was done.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:36 PM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

It may not even be a bridge reset - that's a relatively expensive repair on an instrument in this price category. It could just be a careless finish job - they leave the spot for the bridge unfinished and then glue the bridge on afterwards, so it's possible that a) the bridge was set a bit off where it's supposed to be or b) the finish wasn't quite perfect and the bridge had to be set where it is for tonal purposes, even if it meant leaving a tiny sliver of unfinished wood exposed. If it's going to bother you, send it back ASAP. But if you don't care about a small finish blemish and the sound and feel are up to your expectations, it's probably not worth exchanging it - the next one will be more expensive and may have similar issues somewhere else, right?
Old 10-29-2014, 07:57 AM

Yeah, I think I'm going to keep it -- the bridge feels solid so I think it's just the finish. For the purpose, I'll take the discount and not worry about it. The strings that came on it are pretty dead, so I'm going to pick up some EJ46's today and restring it tonight...then the wife will pack it away till Christmas.

I did realize a few minutes ago that this "beater" will suddenly become the most expensive guitar in my stable -- that's funny to me.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:01 AM

Restrung it with Pro Arte Hard Tension EJ46's. The strings are starting to settle in a bit now...this is a nice little guitar. Tone isn't as round and complex as my other full size guitars, but it's still a pleasant tone and plenty loud. I normally play regular tension Pro Arte EJ45's and the EJ46's feel about right on the shorter scale.

It is still exhibiting some string buzz on the 4th (A) string, mostly in the 4th and 5th frets. Fretting right next to the fret minimizes it, fretting in the middle maximizes the buzzing. I'm going to let it settle in a bit more and then maybe try a quarter turn on the truss rod to see if that makes any difference.

I also noticed that the saddle is flat (well, it has a slight angle, higher at the bass end and lower at the treble end) rather than having an arched shape. Most of my guitars are set up with a slightly arched saddle to give a little more room for vibration to the 3rd and 4th strings. I might try switching out the stock Cordoba saddle for an arched, compensated saddle and see if that helps as well.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:26 AM

IT looks like a bridge repair to me too and honestly if that is the case then you are actually better off. On cheap guitars they typically just glue the bridge right to the finish. I've repaired hundreds of guitars like this over the last 20 years of doing repairs. When a guitar like that with a loose bridge comes in you score a line around the bridge with a sharp knife and pop the bridge off. Then you remove all the finish down to bare wood adn glue the bridge on the way it's supposed to be.

If it did come out of the factory like that then it's a bit sloppy but at least you know they glued it to bare wood which is a good thing. If I did that repair I would have touched it up with some finish to hide it and it usually comes out really well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical