The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-01-2023, 01:12 PM

Default (DEMO ADDED) An over the top NGD, new to me anyway :)

Lately I've been on a roll finding and build some cool guitars, but this one seems to take the cake so to say. Some people will definitely HATE the over the top styling, but....

Most people that know me, know that I am a hardcore Zemaitis fan, well I just got this today, a 2012 Teye Le Perla, a guitar HEAVILY inspired by Zemaitis, and I would bet it's all the guitar an original Zemaitis is. This is no exaggeration. It is a monster player, and the tone is killer. Teye the builder of this guitar owned an original Zemaitis pearl top guitar and was close friends with Tony Zemaitis so he knows the originals inside and out.

I love my Zemaitis reissue guitars, which are immaculately built, but I had to totally rewire all of them to do what I want. Not this guitar. This guitar seems like it was made for me. Aesthetically (I've always loved Rod Wood's Pearl Top Zemaitis), ergonomically (this one screams "play me" is contoured on all right angles, and is only 8.8lbs), and most importantly, tonally (the the tones in this guitar are ridiculously good).

The pickups are "Spec'd For Teye" Lollar Imperials, and the electronics are totally proprietary, and are quite innovative. There's a 5-way switch, bridge vol, neck vol, master tone, and mood. And the mood knob acts like a High Pass Filter, it rolls the low end out of every pickup selection. Basically it turns humbuckers into more single coil like pickups. And when used in conjunction with the 5 way switch, the array of USEABLE tones is incredible. But even without the special wiring, the pickups would kill in this guitar. After a long period of not liking Lollar pickups, I had some great luck with them in a recent acquisition of a Heritage P90'd H535, and now in this one where they really shine! When I plugged it in, set it to the bridge pickup position, and hit the first chord, I couldn't believe what jumped out of the speakers! It was total rock with attitude. An undefinable rawness. And as I dialed through the 5 way switch the party was on! I was lost for hours.

And you could feel the handbuilt nature of this guitar. I love the hand-rubbed finish which is probably very similar to the original Zemaitis finish. There is no stickiness to the neck. And it features perfectly cut nut and saddles, and stellar fretwork.

For me, a serial modder, I find it particularly impressive when a guitar needs no mods for me to be happy.

The intonation was perfect (or as close as a guitar gets). And it tuned up effortlessly! The tuners are Grover Imperial Rotomatics.

I will post a demo very soon, as soon as I get off of my current run of gigs.

I'm lucky that I found this guitar used, as I wouldn't have bought it new, it would have WAY out of my price range. But I found it on listed ebay from a pawnshop seller and I made a low offer which they accepted. I was very skeptical that it would show up without a problem or two, but it was perfect. The pack job from the seller was one of the best I've seen.

As for the overall condition, there's a little belt buckling on the back, but hell it's 10 years old and it was played, so totally expected. Surprisingly there's very little fret wear.

Last edited by rockabilly69; 04-03-2023 at 01:12 PM.
Old 04-01-2023, 02:04 PM

I actually think it's beautiful, especially for someone like you who can really play. For a hack like me, that would be Poser City. I can't wait to hear some demos of it. There must be a LOT of hours of hand work it that guitar. Wow. Big congrats on the find!
Old 04-01-2023, 06:05 PM
Charter Member

Wow, Daniel! What a work of art! Congratulations on an amazing looking guitar! I'm glad you are so happy about it, too!

- Glenn
Old 04-01-2023, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

Wowsa. Did its prior owner live here?

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7...17506242_zpid/

Anyways congrats! Funkyyyyyy
Old 04-01-2023, 06:16 PM

You need an acoustic to go with it:

Use it well, often, and LOUD...
Old 04-01-2023, 06:56 PM
Charter Member

That’s one heckuva “pawn shop find”.

It’s beautiful! Enjoy it.
Old 04-01-2023, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPappy View Post
I actually think it's beautiful, especially for someone like you who can really play. For a hack like me, that would be Poser City. I can't wait to hear some demos of it. There must be a LOT of hours of hand work it that guitar. Wow. Big congrats on the find!
Thanks my man, and yes there's a few hours involved. Teye knows how to bring the best out of an electric guitar!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Wow, Daniel! What a work of art! Congratulations on an amazing looking guitar! I'm glad you are so happy about it, too!

- Glenn
Thanks Glenn, I'm very happy, if I catch the sound I'm getting in the room in my demo you'll know exactly why!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalFromChatham View Post

Good one Sal, and to be clear I was expecting replies like this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
You need an acoustic to go with it:
And I thought my guitar was over the top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
That’s one heckuva “pawn shop find”. It’s beautiful! Enjoy it.
Thanks Mark, I truly was surprised that the guitar didn't have problems when it showed up.
Old 04-02-2023, 01:38 AM

What an elegant expression of the artists vision this guitar is, Dano.
Polarizing for sure, you have to like, or at the very least appreciate the textile sensibility of the tiles(?) as well as the color shift that happens in different lighting.

Having gotten to know your deep affection for Zemaitis guitars these last few years there was no way this one was getting away from you, Rocky! I’m so happy you get to add this to your incredibly eclectic collection of beautiful gear!

Oh, and that stylized dragon on the back cover plate sent me over the top. How can you not love this guitar?

fd
Old 04-03-2023, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPappy View Post
Quote:

- Glenn
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalFromChatham View Post

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7...17506242_zpid/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
That’s one heckuva “pawn shop find”.

It’s beautiful! Enjoy it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
Polarizing for sure, you have to like, or at the very least appreciate the textile sensibility of the tiles(?) as well as the color shift that happens in different lighting.

Having gotten to know your deep affection for Zemaitis guitars these last few years there was no way this one was getting away from you, Rocky! I’m so happy you get to add this to your incredibly eclectic collection of beautiful gear!

Oh, and that stylized dragon on the back cover plate sent me over the top. How can you not love this guitar?

fd
Well here's the demo, first song written with it, and it's plugged straight in to the Mesa Fillmore 50 NO EFFECTS...

Show Me A Sign / Weldon 2023

I don't know what you do to me
I feel so twisted inside
'cause I know he ain't no good for you
he's just living a lie

so baby, show me a sign
then baby, I'll throw you a line

I know that he ain't right for you
there's been talk on the town
they say your boy he's a cheater
he's been gettin' around

so baby, show me a sign
then baby, I'll throw you a line

how did you ever
wind up with
a boy like him
you need to leave him

hey now babe do you think of me
do I run through your mind
if i do won't you come to me
leave that cheater behind

baby, show me a sign
baby, I'll throw you a line

I want you
I need you
baby, show me a sign

baby, show me a sign
I'll throw you a line
show me a sign
yeah. I want you baby yeah yeah
cmon cmon cmom cmon cmon cmon
I need you girl
come to me baby ooh oh yeah yeah yeah
Old 04-03-2023, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

Holy Cow Daniel!

That sounds awesome! WOW! Really fantastic!

- Glenn
Old 04-03-2023, 11:06 AM
Charter Member

That sounds amazing Daniel. Swampy, spooky, nasty...very cool and no effects...love it

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 04-03-2023, 11:17 AM
AGF Sponsor

That is fantastic, the guitar and the music! Great tone and playing! Enjoy that guitar in good health!
Old 04-03-2023, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Holy Cow Daniel!

That sounds awesome! WOW! Really fantastic!

- Glenn
Thanks Glenn, I knew you would recognize the thing about the tone I was talking about when you heard it. The rawness of the tone that comes off this guitar is something. It's like a living breathing animal.

And to be honest, I got such a good deal on this guitar, that I figured if I didn't like it, I could sell it the next day and make some serious money. Unfortunately for my bank account, that ain't going to happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
That sounds amazing Daniel. Swampy, spooky, nasty...very cool and no effects...love it
Swampy, I like that description, kinda conjures up some voodoo, mojo!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Organic Sounds Select Guitars View Post
That is fantastic, the guitar and the music! Great tone and playing! Enjoy that guitar in good health!
Thank you, I appreciate the nice comment

Last edited by rockabilly69; 04-15-2023 at 01:07 AM.
Old 04-03-2023, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post

fd
Oh I thought I'd replied to this earlier, but I never hit send so....

Thanks Frank, and you're right these are definitely polarizing. When I was researching the Le Perla, to see the general consensus of the people that actually owned one, I saw comments from people saying it was the most ugly/hideous thing that they'd ever seen.

And I wasn't sure how much I'd like the look of it when I actually got it.

Fortunately I love it. Funny thing, when you're playing it, it actually looks very plain with it's hand finished back/sides/neck. And the fingerboard, other than the stylized 12th fret marker, is just dots, so the look goes totally out the window when your rocking

The greatest thing though, is that it has the soul of a guitar built by somebody who cares about the minute things that add up to great tone. You can see it in the way the frets are finished, how the nut is shaped and cut, how the saddles are slotted, etc. You know that I'm a perfectionist when it comes to these things, and I can say without a doubt, I've never felt a guitar like this. The thing rattles my sternum with great vibrations.

Another thing, the nut width is 1.75", which I've never experienced before on an electric solid body guitar. Because I'm a fingerstylist, and rarely use a flatpick, I think the extra bit of width suits me, and let's me do the kind of things I do on acoustic, which I gig with daily.

I don't know how consistent these guitars are, but most reports from the people that own this model are more than favorable. In the past, I owned another Teye guitar, a La Llama, and frankly, all of my Zemaitis guitars are better instruments for me, after I modding them to my likings anyways. So I would definitely recommend trying before buying so to say. And as I said in my post to Glenn, I bought this with the intention of selling it for a profit if I didn't like it.
Old 04-03-2023, 04:34 PM

I’m sure even with the great deal you got, you still paid a good buck for this guitar, Dano. But after hearing your demo I can safely say to you, you got your money’s worth. Ripping good grind there—your specialty, my friend.

For me the neck is just a little too wide, but I sure do like the gestalt of the whole package. The crowd will certainly take notice when you take the stage with that ice pick! I’m ready for my closeup, Mr. DeMille…

Another beauty gets added to the herd.

fd

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars