The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-02-2021, 10:10 AM

Default DR Dragon Skin

I've tried many, many strings since I began playing in July 2010. I know that for acoustic, I find the feel of Elixirs to be too slippery for my taste. When I play barre chords, my fingers slide out of place and I clamp down tighter leading my fingers to tire quickly. I kinda like D'Addario EXPs, and I really like Cleartones and Martin Lifespan SPs. I've yet to try the DR Dragon skins but at $9.99/2 pk at Strings and Beyond I figured I'd give them a try.

Thoughts?
Old 03-02-2021, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

All strings sound different depending on what guitar you put them on. Try them for yourself and see what your ears think.
Old 03-02-2021, 01:36 PM

I have not tried Dragonskins, but I have Sunbeams on 3 guitars right now and they all sound fantastic. I also tried DR Rares on the same 3 and prefer the Sunbeams unanimously on all 3.
Old 03-02-2021, 02:17 PM

Dragon Skins are pretty terrible imo. They might be the most neutered coated strings I have used so far. The black muck they are coated in ends up coming off at the saddle and in the nut slots. The are super stiff. After about 2 weeks of casual play I noticed sections of the coating coming off of the low 5 and 6 strings.
Old 03-02-2021, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERZEY View Post
Dragon Skins are pretty terrible imo. They might be the most neutered coated strings I have used so far. The black muck they are coated in ends up coming off at the saddle and in the nut slots. The are super stiff. After about 2 weeks of casual play I noticed sections of the coating coming off of the low 5 and 6 strings.
this was my experience as well.
Old 03-02-2021, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

My experience is nothing like the previous 2 posts. They are awesome on a Gibson Advanced Jumbo and just ok on my OM-21. I am about to try them on my Taylor 612.

You'll never know until you try......
Old 03-02-2021, 05:34 PM

I have them on a couple of guitars and like them. I think they are basically Rares with the coating. They have sort of a squeaky feel to them at first, but after a day or so, either I got used to it, or it went away. Anyway, I think they sound good, and seem to last.

Jerzy mentioned black coating.... I think he is referring to DR's Black Beauties. I'm not sure that they use the same coating technology as Dragon Skins.... Dragon Skin coating is clear, and I've never had any of it flake off.
Old 03-02-2021, 05:40 PM

Tried em. Bought six sets. Thought I could work through them. Threw the last two sets away.
Old 08-15-2021, 01:00 PM

Bought a 2 pack of these (PB lights) a while back & put a set on the old Performer & I wasn't expecting miracles on that old thing but they made it sound as good as I'd ever heard it.

So just 4 or 5 days ago I put the other set on the Maton EA 808. It originally came with Elixir PB lights which suited it very well & lasted. I initially replaced them with Lifespan 80/20 lights (I was after PBs but none available behind the counter at the time) which always sounded a bit thin & disappointing.

Anyway after a few days settling in I'm pretty Impressed with the dragonskins, got that zing & chimey tones the elixirs had & if I get longevity out of them as they claim I'd be happy to use them again.

Martin D-28
Maton EA808 Australian
Maton EBG808 Performer
Cole Clark FL2-12
Suzuki Kiso J200
Old 08-15-2021, 02:12 PM

My experience is/was that tone wise they are good for me. Feel wise, they are very grippy. I have them on my Silent Guitar (Yamaha SLG200S) and every time I grab it, the strings feel like they've been soaked in pine tar.

Back to the old stand by strings for now.
Old 08-15-2021, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

While I have not tried the Dragon Skins wound strings(6th,5th, 4th & 3rd), I am a fan of the Brass plated unwound strings they use.
I use a hybrid set of strings(meaning I mix manufacturers)... In particular I use the Dr. Dragon skin single= .017 for my 2nd string. The Brass coating gives a tiny bit extra for my needs.
Quote from Dr. website "including the brass-plated steel trebles for extra volume and warmth.
Old 08-15-2021, 06:52 PM

They're my string of choice right now and have been for the past year. Just tonight I restrung a Seagull Artist that I keep on a stand in my library with them. I find they have a tone almost as good as D'Addario EJ-16's (my favorite), feel very close to an uncoated string and last a crazy long time. I was just loading up on a few more sets when I saw this post. I've had them on several guitars for over a year and they sound close to new.

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 08-16-2021, 06:06 AM

I have tried most of the ones you have mentioned. I was a fan of Cleartones before I tried a set of D'Addario XS strings and I used Elixirs for many years, despite the fact that I hated the shredding after a few weeks of use.

They cost a bit more than elixirs (about 17bucks for a set), but these don't shred and they do not feel or respond like coated strings.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 08-16-2021, 08:02 AM

They feel a bit sticky at first but I love the life they bring to my purely acoustic Godin 5th Avenue I use to practice.

I clearly prefer these over coater Martins and D'Addarios.
Do not be mislead : I also use basic Martins and D'Addarios EJ on some other guitars.

So, they are worth to try: One's own trials is the only real way to go.

Late add on : I realized yesterday I still had the 0,013" on my Taylor 510 : Sounds great !!!

Last edited by mawmow; 08-29-2021 at 05:35 AM.
Old 08-16-2021, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawmow View Post
So, they are worth to try: One's own trials is the only real way to go.
So true about having to try it out. If you read the responses above you will see that DR Dragons have the same testimonials as most strings: some who love them, some who hate them, and some who like some aspects and dislike others. Strings are so highly player dependent.

I just put some on my Taylor Custom but it's too early to give an impression as they haven't settled in yet (installed them last night).
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion