The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-28-2021, 11:24 PM

I played a lot of Martin-style dreadnoughts from 2012–2018 — mostly mahogany and mostly from well-known brands, with the occasional luthier-built guitar. There are so many good options! I ended up going with the humble standard Martin D-18, but the Collings D1 — in any of its configurations and price points — was a close second for me, so much so that I’d really love to get a Collings of some sort next time around.

I could write paragraphs about what I thought about all the different guitars I played, but it’s ultimately going to be really subjective considering the bar of quality from these types of builders. I suppose you’ll have to find out what slight variation on the Martin dreadnought recipe you find you like best in terms of aesthetics, feel, tone, and price. That’s half the fun, to be honest, and probably why I spend years in-between guitar purchases instead of months or weeks.

To reiterate: I think it’s tough to go wrong at these price points from these builders, it’s more a matter of finding what you think is most right.

Good luck!
Old 03-01-2021, 12:38 AM
Charter Member

I just picked up a 2020 Collings D2HTS (Sitka/EIR Traditional - Satin finish) from a forum member. I was not prepared for how awesome the guitar is. These new 2020 editions with the repositioned neck reinforcement are total game changers. Blindfolded, there is no way you could convince me it is a Collings. It's basically everything a Martin should be, but isn't.

Huge volume, lightly built, tons of warmth but still great articulation, the best neck carve ever, tons of glow and sizzle, and super forgiving to play. Nearly the perfect guitar. Sad to admit but it's a better instrument than my beloved Santa Cruz D/PW. It doesn't beat my Merrill C-28, but it comes darn close.

Definitely check out the newest 2020+ models. Really great sounding and playing guitars!

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 03-01-2021, 02:47 AM

I am also sad to admit that my new Collings OM-3 European flamed maple/German I actually prefer to my SCGC custom short scale OM cocobolo/German but it's easier to play also even though both nuts are 1 3/4 and is much lighter. I was quite taken back by this. Blindfolded I too would have NOT known it was a Collings even though I've owned several Collings before.

Last edited by hifivic; 03-02-2021 at 01:13 AM.
Old 03-01-2021, 05:13 AM
Charter Member

Another vote for a Collings Traditional dread. Super guitars!
Old 03-01-2021, 06:53 AM
Charter Member

I searched for the better part of a year looking for the best mahogany dreadnought I could find, and I played everything I could get my hands on. I almost bought an '07 D18A '37, but when I played my baked Sitka D1T, I knew I found it.
Old 03-01-2021, 07:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
I just picked up a 2020 Collings D2HTS (Sitka/EIR Traditional - Satin finish) from a forum member. I was not prepared for how awesome the guitar is. These new 2020 editions with the repositioned neck reinforcement are total game changers. Blindfolded, there is no way you could convince me it is a Collings. It's basically everything a Martin should be, but isn't.
Well, apparently I need to get out and play some of these newer Collings... It's been a few years since I picked one up.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 03-01-2021, 07:03 AM
Charter Member

Wow - major endorsements for Collings! I definitely need to take a closer look at these and especially the 2020s!
Old 03-01-2021, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

I just got a Collings D2HAT and I think it's better than the Martin D28 Aged Authentic I sold last month.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:50 AM

If you want something closer to the Martin tone, I'd go with Preston Thompson (pktguitars.com). I had a Martin D-28A and didn't care for the neck. I now own a Thompson DEIA.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInBethesda View Post
I’m on the hunt for a dreadnought from a boutique maker (Santa Cruz, Collings, Bourgeois and Huss and Dalton in particular) and am considering both spruce/mahogany and spruce/rosewood in terms of tone woods. I’m seeking opinions in terms of what is the best of either (or both) that you’ve owned? My price range is up to the $5k range. Tell me your top preference and why!
Hi Mike…

If you check out YouTube channel for "The North American Guitar", Carl Miner plays a ton of D-18 & D-28 solo built boutique guitars regularly, and their recordings are absolutely the best I've heard on the internet (and most inventive).

They also have their share of old Martins that go through their hands, so there are good points for comparison.

Hope this adds to the discussion…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-01-2021, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Mike…

If you check out YouTube channel for "The North American Guitar", Carl Miner plays a ton of D-18 & D-28 solo built boutique guitars regularly, and their recordings are absolutely the best I've heard on the internet (and most inventive).

They also have their share of old Martins that go through their hands, so there are good points for comparison.

Hope this adds to the discussion…

I'll go to the TNAG site just to watch and listen to Carl play. Good point Larry...

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 03-01-2021, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou Intern View Post
I searched for the better part of a year looking for the best mahogany dreadnought I could find, and I played everything I could get my hands on. I almost bought an '07 D18A '37, but when I played my baked Sitka D1T, I knew I found it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by warfrat73 View Post
Well, apparently I need to get out and play some of these newer Collings... It's been a few years since I picked one up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInBethesda View Post
Wow - major endorsements for Collings! I definitely need to take a closer look at these and especially the 2020s!
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
I just got a Collings D2HAT and I think it's better than the Martin D28 Aged Authentic I sold last month.
I had opportunities to buy several pre-2020 Collings D2HT and D2HAT models in baked and non-baked version. But when I heard the sound samples, I wasn't convinced. There was too much of the "old" Collings sound in them... too bright, not enough warmth/mellowness, too much splitting of the difference between the regular Collings line and the Martin sound etc.

The 2020 neck reinforcement change + the Satin finish however really made a massive difference in the T series. Plus I was strongly advised to avoid the baked versions because of my experience with the Bourgeois AT D-Vintage and how I didn't like its narrower cone of sound and quick decay of the upper mids and highs.

Great advice all around from some really nice forum members, particularly Kori. And now I have a(nother) killer Rosewood dread.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 03-01-2021, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
I'll go to the TNAG site just to watch and listen to Carl play. Good point Larry...
I llew…

Me too. Like 2 minute concerts!!

Carl is one of the most creative flat-pickers I've heard.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-01-2021, 10:50 AM
Charter Member

For me, it's:

- mahogany for stronger, clearer mids and better overall balance than rosewood,

- adi top for endless headroom and overall dynamics.

That said, this opinion is based on Collings CJs (Gibson AJ body shape) rather than Martin D styles. I first owned a Sitka/EIR CJ until I played the Adi/'hog I have now.

Assuming 'MikeinBethesda' is Bethesda, MD, PM you're welcome to play it, but it won't be apples/apples compared to D styles.
Old 03-01-2021, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

For me the best boutique version of a D-28 was a German-topped Santa Cruz Tony Rice model I owned for a good while. The worst was an Italian-topped Santa Cruz Tony Rice...so...

I've owned a lot of Collings Dreads. They're great, but for me it's a really different tone than Martin. Santa Cruz builds a much more woody, earthy tone with a lot of harmonics and clarity. The mids are boosted over most Martin dreads.

My best boutique version is my D-28 Authentic 1937.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion