The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-21-2021, 08:50 AM

Default Does a permanently applied removable pickguard damage the guitar top finish

hi All,

I want to apply a pickguard to a gloss finished guitar top.
Guitar is 2 year old Yamaha Nylon string.

These pickguards come in two versions , glued and electrostatic.
The adavantage of the latter is that it can be removed easily, there's no glue.
However the disadvantage is , according to some online search and vendor advise, that it may damage the guitar top when permanently applied.

What's you experience with these removable (electrostatic) pickguards and guitar top damage when permanently applied?

Last edited by --JayJay--; 02-21-2021 at 08:58 AM.
Old 02-21-2021, 08:56 AM

Hi Jay, welcome to the AGF!

Note that if you ever want to remove a pickguard you may have a tan line of where the pickguard was. As far as damage, here's what Taylor states about their electrostatic pickguards:

Source: https://www.taylorguitars.com/taylor...atic-universal
"Reusable Pick Guard. For a temporary solution, try our custom-fit electrostatic pickguards. These crystal clear, removable guards will protect your glossy Taylor finish from light dings and scratches. (For maximum protection, we recommend our standard, permanent pickguards). Model #7304

**For gloss-finish guitars only**

Advisory for older guitars (pre-1995) with nitrocellulose lacquer or conversion varnish: These finishes may be damaged as a result of using this pickguard. Always remove pickguard from guitar when not in use. All glossy finished Taylor Guitars built in 1995 or later use a UV cured finish that is less susceptible to damage, though we do recommend removing pickguard when not in use."
Old 02-21-2021, 10:22 AM

Unless the pick guard is glued to bare wood - a practice mostly eliminated - the pick guard won't hurt the top itself.

Some types of finish - most notably nitrocellulose lacquer - can be damaged by prolonged contact with certain types of rubber or plastics. The makers of electrostatic pick guards don't want to be liable for that damage, hence they warn that their pickguards should be removed after each use.

The answer to your question is that it depends upon the type of finish used on your Yamaha. If nitrocellulose lacquer, it shouldn't be left on the instrument for extended periods of time.
Old 02-22-2021, 07:21 AM

I weigh up the pros and cons of the various options.
I must protect the guitar top, due to my type of play.
And want to leave it on the guitar for longer term. But want to be able to remove it when I ever want to sell the guitar.

Can a glued (adhesive) pickguard be removed from a guitar top, without damage or marks?
Old 02-22-2021, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

I know from experience that there is the possibility of removing some of a guitars finish, and wood even, when removing a pickguard. Tan lines have been mentioned.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 02-22-2021, 09:31 AM

I use an electrostatic on my guitar and often leave it on for long periods. I can't imagine that it will hurt the finish, but just to be super safe, I take it off periodically and wipe down the top. When it's off, I just lay it over the strings in the case, so I remember to put it back on when I get the guitar out.

If you play it right the first time, it's not hard enough.

Breedlove Exotic CM Classic E: Red Cedar/Black Walnut
Bedell Angelica Bellissima Parlor: Sunken Cedar/EIR
Breedlove Crossover OO Mandolin: Sitka/Maple
Old 02-22-2021, 11:13 AM

Electrostatic (vinyl) pickguards will damage a nitrocellulose finish, but the chances are that a Yamaha does not have that finish.
Removing a glued pickguard generally doesn't damage the finish, unless it is not done carefully.
To avoid the suntanning issue, use a clear guard.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair