The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-10-2020, 07:43 AM
Charter Member

I love Trey’s flatpicking and the sound of the slope dread, but I’m not paying those prices for laminate anything, on principle alone.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 07-10-2020, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

That slope dread was a hoss!!! If they sound that good, laminate doesn't bother me.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 07-12-2020, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
Doesn't the price point seem a little high for a laminate side and back guitar?
For most guitar buyers, definitely.

Which does not invalidate the other observations on how the choice was not based on cost but to get a particular tone. Those who like that tone and who don't mind having a laminate body--well, they won't mind having a laminate body.

But a lot of people looking to buy in that price range are moving away from a more inexpensive laminate body guitar and looking to buy an all solid guitar. They won't even look at these.
Old 07-14-2020, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
Those sound very good indeed to me.

I'd prefer a more graduated burst, but I do understand that many prefer that two-tone look.
You know, I was thinking from as soon a these came out a year or two a go that the bursts weren't graduated enough...then I realized who's make them - a company who typically cuts a giant hole in the top to put a bunch of metal. Their bursted resonators don't have much room to graduate, so they have to kinda do it like this...they've never had this much canvas to consider ;-)
Old 02-16-2021, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

Default The making of a Highball

Not a cocktail recipe (I prefer a good rye whiskey neat ; )

https://youtu.be/ouW-tDcfCpY

These look great to me. The birch laminate doesn't deter me at all. They look to be impressively well made and sound fantastic!
Old 02-16-2021, 12:37 PM

Smile

For everyone having heartburn about laminate, maybe this video will help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Wc5NVyb89Y
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor
Old 02-23-2021, 04:08 PM
Charter Member

So after watching the video of how carefully and skillfully these are hand made and listening to every clip I could find, I took a flyer and ordered one and it came into Dave's today. I left it there for a pickup install but spent an hour with it over lunch. My expectations were pretty high, and first impression reaches them and more. I will do a thorough review after getting a few weeks with it. But my initial reaction is "WOW!'

Old 02-23-2021, 05:17 PM
Charter Member

That's a wonderful guitar! I love the way Beard have gone out on a limb and done thier own thing. That Finnish birch plywood back and sides makes such a wonderful sound box for the spruce top. I hope that a few other companies are pricking their ears up and realising that there is more to life than mahogany and rosewood. Birch plywood is just the sort of body that would really suit something like a Waterloo.

I love Godin Guitars because the cherry/maple/cherry plywood they use sounds great. But those Beard Deco phonic guitars are a step up again.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 02-23-2021, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Nelson View Post
So after watching the video of how carefully and skillfully these are hand made and listening to every clip I could find, I took a flyer and ordered one and it came into Dave's today. I left it there for a pickup install but spent an hour with it over lunch. My expectations were pretty high, and first impression reaches them and more. I will do a thorough review after getting a few weeks with it. But my initial reaction is "WOW!'
Sweet, and congratulations! I am glad to hear this. What's the neck like? Fat/thin?
Old 02-23-2021, 06:01 PM

Wow, they do sound fantastic - the Sidecar ticks a lot of my boxes in a what I want in a guitar. A little too rich for my blood currently, but I like the tone and the look. Little bling but a lot of tone.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 02-23-2021, 07:27 PM

Have not played one of these, but I have a Deco Phonic resonator. It is a fabulous guitar. The neck is perhaps best profile I’ve played, relatively narrow across fretboard, but good full carve. I really like the finish. With nails or pick, it can sound like a clean electric played close to saddle. Very full sounding toward neck.

As to the non-resonator above, I’ve thought about getting one. One of the ladies in Larkin Poe often plays one in their videos. Sounds quite nice.
Old 02-24-2021, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
The Music Emporium is carrying this new (to me) line of affordable guitars. This. Beard DecoPhonic is made in Maryland by Beard Guitars and sells for $1,800. Sounds pretty good. Has anyone played one?

https://www.beardguitars.com/

I'm a sucker for a slope shouldered dread (and I need a new one to replace my Taylor AD27). I've know about the Beards for some time, and while I'm a little on again, off again about their price, due to the laminated back and sides, I still think they sound very good, and the laminated wood is not your typical cheapo style laminated wood, with "mystery wood" for some of the laminates (birch is pretty good stuff IMO), so I'm still interested in the Beards. The thing is though, other than the nut width being 1.75" (which is fine by me), there are no other neck specs. Does anybody know what the neck thickness is like? I'd hate to cough up the money for one, just to find out the hard way that it has a thin neck (I don't like thin necks).

My Smile Makers:

Guild OM-120
Guild F-2512E Deluxe 12-string
Eastman E3DE
2013 Ibanez AFJ-95

Last edited by EllenGtrGrl; 02-24-2021 at 05:48 AM.
Old 02-24-2021, 07:28 AM
Charter Member

The Beard website describes the neck carve as "soft, almost V-shaped." To me, it's more soft than V-shaped. I have owned a CEO-7, and the Highball neck is not anywhere near as pronounced as the modified V on the Martin. Nor is it your Taylor. I found it to be extremely comfortable and playable, even moreso given the vintage-ish satin finish.

Great guitar. I would encourage folks to check out the "how they are made" video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenGtrGrl View Post
I'm a sucker for a slope shouldered dread (and I need a new one to replace my Taylor AD27). I've know about the Beards for some time, and while I'm a little on again, off again about their price, due to the laminated back and sides, I still think they sound very good, and the laminated wood is not your typical cheapo style laminated wood, with "mystery wood" for some of the laminates (birch is pretty good stuff IMO), so I'm still interested in the Beards. The thing is though, other than the nut width being 1.75" (which is fine by me), there are no other neck specs. Does anybody know what the neck thickness is like? I'd hate to cough up the money for one, just to find out the hard way that it has a thin neck (I don't like thin necks).
Old 02-24-2021, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

I would not be put out by a laminated b/s guitar as several high end builders use laminated as an option....Cant wait to hear some more reviews on these as it could be a viable and affordable substitute for a J45?? Wish Gibson would put out the option of a standard J45 w/o electronics.
Old 03-02-2021, 07:40 PM
Charter Member

I can tell you this: this thing is more cleanly built inside and out than any guitar I can think of I have had through, which is dozens and dozens (single luthier, small shop, and factory guitars of all shapes, sizes, and woods). My first impressions couldn't be better, and I already had high expectations. This is a fantastic guitar.

Last edited by Brent Nelson; 03-02-2021 at 08:18 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion