The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-11-2020, 09:10 AM

I would vote a cheap gs mini because when the kid gets old enough it can be a starter guitar as well.

I subscribe to the idea that if a kid shows interest then getting them to play as early as possible is a huge head start.

Just accept that the guitar will be dinged up and the kid should be ok but trust me they get into anything and everything and invents ways to get hurt. If a kid was not curious and all up in all my stuff though, I would be more worried about their development.
Old 09-11-2020, 11:08 AM

I'd recommend the FS series Yamaha. I have the FS830 and it is definitely more comfortable for me to play on the couch than a full size dreadnought.
Old 09-11-2020, 12:15 PM

My vote would go to the all Sapele Martin Dreadnought Jr 2 on a wall hanger.
Comfortable, smaller, shorter, couch guitar that is tough as nails.
Solid sapele is a tough, hard wood that sounds pretty sweet.
We have one that gets lots of play time around the house and home office.
Wife also loves her GS Mini in Koa for similar reasons.
I prefer the wider nut and mellower sounds from the Martin, though....
Old 09-11-2020, 12:25 PM

I just bought an Eastman PCH3 Koa OM (laminate b/s) that I use in the RV. It sounds and looks great, delivered under 4 bills, with padded gig bag.
Old 09-11-2020, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
I'd change from a stand on the floor to a wall-mounted guitar hanger well out of reach of the child.
Agreed. Even a beater guitar can have its neck cracked.

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 09-11-2020, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittoon View Post
Baby + guitar = damage. To both.
My thinking exactly. It's time to get rid of the stand for a few years as part of a larger project to baby-proof the living areas where the child will play.
Old 09-11-2020, 01:09 PM

A wall hanger is cheap enough, and if installed correctly, is definitely an option.
a $500 guitar is still going to have issues once it hits the floor.

then again, I'm a Case em when not playin em kind of guy,, so there is that..
Old 09-11-2020, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittoon View Post
Baby + guitar = damage. To both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflehead View Post
My thinking exactly. It's time to get rid of the stand for a few years as part of a larger project to baby-proof the living areas where the child will play.
Agreed with this. I'm not overly precious with my guitars — I will let my kids hold and strum my Martin or my Fairbanks provided they ask — but I am probably overly precious with my kids. As someone who has nearly as many of those as I have guitars I'm gonna have to add another voice advocating for caution — the last thing you want is a toddler learning to walk and stand pulling a steel string guitar down onto their head or face.

Definitely let your daughter continue to touch and strum your guitar when you're holding it — provided she's not holding something that could dent it (trust me). And definitely practice up on some songs for lullabies or fun songs to play in the living room or at the table after dinner. Make memories and keep inspiring a love of music and guitar — but just know that toddlers can and will find all kinds of ways to hurt themselves as they learn and develop! I just think a guitar — particularly the headstock — is not something you want a child having free access to for the first couple years of their life.

As for a smaller guitar, what about a Baby Taylor? Could be fun to play now and then give to your daughter when she's six or seven or eight years old and let her start playing a bit. Bigger than that there's the GS Mini and Martin D Jr guitars — I have liked the latter better in my limited experience but the GS Mini has lots of fans and happy customers. Another option is something like the Gretsch Jim Dandy — all-laminate, kinda boxy and bluesy, but cheap and not precious.

Oh — pro tip from a dad with daughters — the "All is Found" song from the last Frozen movie as performed by Kacey Musgraves is worth adding to your lullaby set list.

Good luck!
Old 09-12-2020, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

Talking Journey Carbon

My Journey Carbon Fiber guitar stays on my couch. It's a beater but is impervious to whatever I throw at it. My 2 yr old daughter knows that it's the only guitar she can play with (for now). She put a collection of kitten stickers on it a few weeks ago. I haven't bothered to take them off.
Old 09-12-2020, 03:04 PM

davy knowles specifically mentions this as being a good couch guitar.
$500.
seems pretty decent, but i've not seen one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKBAEEKPcUk
i too would recommend a wall hanger.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
beater, guitar, living, room