The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-27-2019, 08:10 PM

Good luck! You won’t regret ditching the rest of the band, and you may just become a more rounded player because of it. All that lead stuff is just noise anyway.

As for what songs to play, what worked for me when I followed this path were songs from Neil Young, Cat Stevens, Bob Dylan, Ray LaMontagne, etc. Basically, classic rock and folk singer/songwriter stuff. I also enjoy singing though; YMMV.
Old 12-27-2019, 08:12 PM

I do all sorts of songs at sing-alongs with just my voice and acoustic guitar - mostly strummed with a pick - that originally had full bands and complex arrangements. If people know and love the song, they don't really miss that stuff much. I do Space Oddity by Bowie, A Day in the Life by the Beatles (including the orchestral crescendo!), Ruby Tuesday by the Stones, I Can See For Miles by the Who, and scores of others. I don't attempt Hendrix or Zeppelin, not because it can't be done without the band but because I can't sing like that! If you like the song and can sing it, go for it! People love sing-alongs and pure acoustic works best for that: if you plug in, it's a performance.
Old 12-27-2019, 08:38 PM

A number of years ago when Ralph Emery's show was on TNN, he had Justin Hayward as one of his guests...

Justin stepped out and did a solo version of "Night in White Satin" - just lead vocal and his Gibson B45-12 guitar, nothing else...

It was the most incredible performance of that song I've ever heard...

Think outside the box: explore some new right-hand techniques (the aforementioned hybrid picking, cross-picking - which can also provide a very convincing approximation of fingerpicking with a little practice - jazz-influenced chord-melody, syncopated bass/chord patterns, etc.) and refine your established skills - be precise without being sterile and mechanical...

Get the largest, biggest-sounding guitar you can physically handle (it's all about filling as much sonic space as possible - IME subtlety isn't going to get it done with your preferred styles/genres), and make sure you've got a good setup so you're not constantly fighting your instrument to be heard and/or execute difficult passages...

Analyze the material you'll be playing: what instrumental aspect(s) of this song make(s) it what it is (bass line, "hook" riff, rhythm pattern, etc.) and how you're going to incorporate it/them into your version without sacrificing cohesiveness - learn the fingerboard thoroughly and how to use chord inversions/open strings to your advantage...

Worked for me for the last 50 years...
Old 12-27-2019, 09:34 PM

Here are a few guys who pull(ed) it off pretty well:

John Prine, Steve Goodman, Leo Kottke, Neil Young, Jim Croce, Guy Clark, Townes Van Zandt, Bob Dylan, Doc Watson. Lots more.
Old 12-27-2019, 09:39 PM

Check out the 2 Jackson Browne solo acoustic albums

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
resolution, solo