The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-02-2021, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeisen93 View Post
I recently played a Martin M-36. Sounded amazing and very comfortable to play.
I looked that model up on the Martin site, looks beautiful. I sure wish I could find one to play. Looks like maybe that's Martin's version of a GA??
Old 03-02-2021, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
Only a dread will sound like a dread. But if you put your dread aside for a few days and play a smaller guitar, it very likely will sound good to you.

I have an 00, an 000, an OM, a grand concert, a dread and a jumbo, with many different wood combos represented. They all sound great to me, and none strike me as “thin”. Some seem to sound there best in alternate tunings. The 00 is my favorite right now, and it never strikes me as thin, even if i am playing my jumbo right before it.

But if you do back to back comparisons, and especially if you begin with a preconception about what constitutes a “full tone”, you might find anything other than a dread to be wanting.

If you want a full sound from a smaller guitar, maybe look at some 12 fret models, maybe a 000.

A deep body OM lights up some folks, whereas others find them very unbalanced and sometimes a bit muddy.

The SCGC H-13’s might be worth a try.
Great advice on putting the dread down for a few days and playing something else that then becomes the best tone to your ears. thanks.
Old 03-02-2021, 04:07 PM

Most of my acoustics are Dreadnoughts. I bought an OM a couple of years ago thinking it would be a more comfortable size, and it is. It sounds wonderful, but it doesn't sound like a Dreadnought which I have always played so it doesn't get much play time. I also have an "0" size acoustic that is great for playing on the couch. For awhile I owned a couple of Super Jumbos, one of them a Gibson SJ-200 that had an amazing sound, but both were surprisingly lacking in bass and volume.

There is nothing that sounds quite like a Dreadnought. I have arthritis in my shoulder and am getting on in years and it's harder to do longer gigs with a big guitar. But for me, there is nothing to take the place of a dreadnought. Play what you love, whatever that may be.
Old 03-02-2021, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinddog View Post
Hi, I am in search of a new acoustic. I LOVE my Larrivee dreadnought but want something with a smaller body. I've tried Furch, Martin OMs and they are very comfortable (which is what I want), but they all seem a little too bright and thin sounding to me. So, if I love the tonal depth of a dreadnought but want something more comfortable for noodling on the couch and playing blues and general stuff, what should I consider? I found a 000 Larrivee that sounded really nice, but satin finish that I don't like. Essentially I'm asking about body shape. Sound closer to dreadnought, feel closer to small body OM or OOO. Grand Auditorium maybe? I haven't seen one of those.
I agree with the others,. Put the dread down and enjoy the focused, intimate sound of a OM, and if you sing you will find that it's easier to sing with.
After my Seagull CH momentum, cedar top and laminate cherry wood sides and back, I have no need for a dread, plenty of bass but not over powering, nice and balanced. Just put the dread down and back away [emoji106]
Old 03-02-2021, 08:29 PM

Just put the dread down and back away [emoji106][/QUOTE]

I love it! I'm thinking both a Martin OM-28 and a Larrivee 000-50 or 60
Old 03-03-2021, 05:45 AM

I agree with most of the previous posts - you're not going to get a 'dread that looks like/is hiding inside of an OM. With that being said, I will state (as others have), that there are OMs out there that are very bassy sounding - they may to an extent, be the exception to the OM/000 rule sound-wise (OMs & 000s often sound a bit on the lower midrange side of things to me), but they are out there, if you spend time looking and playing OMs and 000s. My Eastman E8OM (spruce top, and rosewood back and sides) fits that category. When I first played it, it was like "whoah!, that's a lot of bass!" I've played 'dreads that sounded less bassy than my E8OM. Still, my E8OM does not have the boomy/thumping bass sound that many 'dreads have, but that is fine by me.

My Smile Makers:

Guild OM-120
Guild F-2512E Deluxe 12-string
Eastman E3DE
2013 Ibanez AFJ-95

Last edited by EllenGtrGrl; 03-03-2021 at 05:54 AM.
Old 03-03-2021, 06:48 AM

I would say try the Larrivee L, or an all mahogany 000/OM, might be less bright.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion