The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2022, 01:36 PM
Charter Member

Arrow SOLD - Joel Michaud 0-R Italian Spruce - Madagascar Rosewood + Karura Case

SOLD

For your consideration is my Michaud Made 0-R acoustic guitar. I am the original owner of this commissioned build which Joel completed in 2018.

The AGF build thread for this guitar can be seen here. You’ll want to look through this thread to appreciate the materials and craftsmanship and for a bunch of pictures at various stages of completion.

Anyone who has had the pleasure of playing or listening to a Joel Michaud guitar knows that he crafts among the finest modern voiced fingerstyle steel string guitars available today. The O-R model is Joel’s modern interpretation of the parlor guitar. Joel has said the 0-R his “personal favorite” model. This 0-R is beautifully balanced, responsive to a light touch, yet capable of producing surprising volume and sustain.

The premium tone woods for this O-R: a Master Grade Italian Spruce Top paired with a richly variegated 2 pc. set of Madagascar Rosewood. His standard O-R model has a slotted headstock and tuners but I requested his more modern looking solid peghead design and Gotoh 510 mini tuning machines for this guitar. Luthier Burton LeGyet crafted the oval set of ebony tuner buttons which complement the modern look. Joel uses a variation of Jeff Traugott’s floating back brace in the construction which he says adds stability as well as sonic benefits.

Custom designed treated brass inlay segments are found in both the rosette and the minimalist back strip and end graft of the instrument. This is a premium signature option that Joel executed beautifully. The guitar also features maple purfling and the premium quality ebony substitute, rocklite for the binding and fingerboard.

This guitar is well protected in a Karura "Michaud Made" branded Carbon Fiber Flight Case. Take this ultra-premium guitar on your travels by auto or air without worry. The Karura Case will easily fit in an aircraft's overhead bin.

I’m offering this beautiful Michaud Made 0-R to AGF members for ON HOLD, including insured shipping to you in the continental U.S.

Joel Michaud's current base price is $10.5K - before upcharges for the premium tone woods, custom brass inlays and Karura Flight Case included with this guitar.

Both the guitar and Karura flight case are in excellent condition.

Specifications:

Top: Master Grade Italian Spruce
Back and Sides: Madagascar Rosewood
Scale: 24.7"
Nut: 1 3/4"
Pin spacing: 2 1/4"
Nut and Saddle: Bone
Binding and Backstrap: Rocklite
Neck: Honduran Mahogany
Tuning machines: Gotoh 510 mini gold 1:18
Tuner buttons: Burton LeGyet Custom Ebony
Finish: Nitrocellulose
Lower bout: 13.50"
Waist 8"
Upper Bout: 10"
Depth at End: 4.25"
Depth at neck: 3 1/2"
Body length: 18.75
Total length: 39.50"
13th Fret Neck Join
Case: Custom Michaud Made 0-R Karura Carbon Fiber Flight Case
Strings: John Pearce New Mediums

Send a message with any questions and I will respond promptly. I’m happy to talk by phone once we’ve made initial communication here. I have many references here and on Reverb so buy with confidence.

Thanks for looking, now let me hear from you!

Last edited by doodahdoug; 07-06-2022 at 06:10 PM. Reason: SOLD
Old 06-25-2022, 05:15 PM

Default Michaud O-R

Very cool looking guitar ... GLWS
Richard
Old 06-26-2022, 12:26 AM
Charter Member

Smile Michaud

My dream guitar right there!!! I wish I had the funds now.

GLWTS!

2020 Kraut 00, Swiss/Brazilian, build
2018 Eady EG Pro Electric, Redwood/Mahogany
2013 Baranik Meridian, Blue Spruce/Cocobolo, build
2008 Baranik CX, Blue Spruce/African Blackwood
2008 Breedlove A20 Masterclass 12-string, Adi/IRW
2003 Thames classical, Euro/Brazilian
Fodera Standard 4 Fretless bass, figured walnut
Old 06-27-2022, 07:13 AM
Charter Member

Default Michaud Made 0-R Italian Spruce - Madagascar Rosewood + Karura Flight Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordsandmusic View Post
Very cool looking guitar ... GLWS
Richard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocobolo Kid View Post
My dream guitar right there!!! I wish I had the funds now.

GLWTS!
John and Richard thank you both for your comments.

AGF Sponsor and a select authorized dealer for Michaud Made Guitars through The Golden Era Guitar, Marcus Wong, paid a visit to Joel Michaud's workshop during construction of this guitar and here's what he had to say in my AGF Build Recap Thread:

"Doug, I saw this guitar box when I visited Joel in Calgary last year and remember telling him that this is my perfect set of Madagascar Rosewood. You are one lucky dude! Beautiful."

That creamy white Italian Spruce Top is pretty special too!

The fit and finish on this guitar is remarkable!

Michaud Made preowned guitars are rarely seen in the marketplace. Don't miss your opportunity to get this excellent Michaud Made 0-R without a multi-year wait and at a generous discount off Joel's current pricing. Send me a message if you have and interest and I will do my best to answer your questions and get this guitar in your hands.

Last edited by doodahdoug; 06-27-2022 at 07:28 AM. Reason: wording
Old 06-28-2022, 02:19 AM

Oh man, sad to see this go from your collection Doug. Still one of my favourite sets of Madagascar Rosewood

Joel just completed a matching pair of O-R for a customer of mine in Brazilian Rosewood and "The Tree". So while I didn't get to play yours, hopefully I get to try these! Joel builds incredible guitars, whoever buys this should be a pretty happy new owner. Good luck with the sale!

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 06-29-2022, 09:24 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

I remember well the time that I first met Joel Michaud in Memphis...he was just on the brink of becoming one of "THE names" in acoustic guitar builders. I played one of his beauties and it was one of the very few at the show that had the "it" factor that we all look for.

This guitar checks all my boxes as Italian spruce over Madi is one of my favorite combinations. Add the Michaud name and then on top of that a Karura case, oh my goodness!! And of course that is such a great price on a high end guitar from a top builder. I have two customs of my own in process as we speak so my bank account is tapped for now, otherwise I'd be ALL over this one.

I've had a number of interactions with Doug and I can say without hesitation that EVERY one of them has been positive. Doug is not only a great individual but also takes great care of his instruments and only owns the best of the best. Buy with absolute confidence!

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!
Old 06-30-2022, 06:12 PM
Charter Member

Ooohhh, Dougie boy has gone deep in the vault for this wood creation fine specimen. As Mike said, Doug has the super nice desirable pieces. Buy with confidence from the Vault Master.....
  • Takamine 2006 Ltd.
  • Takamine EAC48C
  • Takamine ESF40C
  • Tama #3561 Dread
  • Whelan Dreadnought
  • Whelan Grand Auditorium
  • Yamaki YW-80
Old 07-01-2022, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

Default SOLD! Michaud Made 0-R Italian Spruce - Madagascar RW + Karura Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post
Oh man, sad to see this go from your collection Doug. Still one of my favourite sets of Madagascar Rosewood

Joel just completed a matching pair of O-R for a customer of mine in Brazilian Rosewood and "The Tree". So while I didn't get to play yours, hopefully I get to try these! Joel builds incredible guitars, whoever buys this should be a pretty happy new owner. Good luck with the sale!
Thank you Marcus. Playing your commissioned Tree OM-R at the Memphis show and meeting Joel there in 2015 set my sights on Michaud Made guitars. I owned an OM and two 00-R models before trying out Joel's prototype Model 0-R at the 2016 Santa Barbara Show and locking in my own commission for that model. I sold those earlier Michaud models after hearing how good this one is!

To give you an idea of how a Michaud Made model 0-R sounds, below is a clip of the duo Frog and Toad (Ben Wilborn and Brad Jones) playing "Here Comes the Sun" after hours at the SBAIC 2016 show. Ben Wilborn is playing the prototype Eurospruce-ABW Michaud 0R and handles the lead chores while Brad is playing an OM from Burton LeGyett. (The video caption misidentifies the Michaud 0-R as a 00.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by invguy921 View Post
I remember well the time that I first met Joel Michaud in Memphis...he was just on the brink of becoming one of "THE names" in acoustic guitar builders. I played one of his beauties and it was one of the very few at the show that had the "it" factor that we all look for.

This guitar checks all my boxes as Italian spruce over Madi is one of my favorite combinations. Add the Michaud name and then on top of that a Karura case, oh my goodness!! And of course that is such a great price on a high end guitar from a top builder. I have two customs of my own in process as we speak so my bank account is tapped for now, otherwise I'd be ALL over this one.

I've had a number of interactions with Doug and I can say without hesitation that EVERY one of them has been positive. Doug is not only a great individual but also takes great care of his instruments and only owns the best of the best. Buy with absolute confidence!

Thank you Mike, I appreciate your kind words!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhelan56 View Post
Ooohhh, Dougie boy has gone deep in the vault for this...fine specimen. As Mike said, Doug has the super nice desirable pieces. Buy with confidence from the Vault Master.....
Thanks Jim, someone will be getting a great guitar at a very nice price.

Here are a few pictures focusing on Joel's custom treated brass inlay work which is actually recessed into the wood and the artwork I provided Joel as inspiration for the color pallet.

A few inquiries and possible trade + cash deals, but for now the Michaud 0-R is still available. Let me hear from you!

Last edited by doodahdoug; 07-06-2022 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Sold
Old 07-01-2022, 08:21 PM
Charter Member

Smile Egads….

Wow, and DOUBLE WOW

I hope you don’t miss this one too much, Doug! It would be hard to let it go…

Someone should snag this before Doug comes to his senses.

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars